Scuderia Ferrari SF90

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Carl Mccoy
Carl Mccoy

Re: Scuderia Ferrari SF90

munudeges wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 14:53
Utterly baffled how they can have problems like that now. If they have problems at that race there are obviously several others where things will be even worse. Cooling issues at this track which should be well known just makes no sense. Could be problems with the PU, they could also be trying to preserve some reliability [probably unlikely] or they could have fallen foul of some FIA loophole they were using before. If it's happening to other teams, the plot thickens.

The FIA had certainly cracked down on something last year after their battery system was questioned which meant they fell away from the championship completely, along with just being poor generally. It almost felt like the team had given up after that. It was quite bizarre. One thing is for certain, they're not going to get anything past Mercedes. Everyone else are really home garage operations next to their engine outfit. If, hypothetically, this is the case one wonders how much of the PU Ferrari might have to change physically.

If their PU does turn out to have been built on a foundation of loopholes there is one man with a very clear target on his head on that one. Absolutely incredible.
Total nonsense. The Ferrari battery system has been confirmed as legal by the FIA. Repeatedly.

Capharol
Capharol

look how close this was :shock:

video to it:
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... sbEEx.html

MtthsMlw

What loophole and why is it closed now? Haven't noticed anything last year. It's not like Ferrari lost their engine advantage after the ominous sensor was fitted to the engine.

Capharol
Capharol

MtthsMlw wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 17:47
What loophole and why is it closed now? Haven't noticed anything last year. It's not like Ferrari lost their engine advantage after the ominous sensor was fitted to the engine.
could be though

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Capharol wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 17:45
https://i.imgur.com/03YFWYp.png

video to it:
Yikes! Vettel dodged a bullet there! Looks like the endplate deflected rather than digging in to the shoulder - perhaps the overlap was large. An inch either way might have caused a rear puncture.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

djones
djones

MtthsMlw wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 17:47
As soon as it all come to light and there was talk of a second sensor (plus no doubt things the public did not hear of) it soon went from Ferrari demolishing everything on the straights, to that not happening and Hamilton pulling away in the championship.

Talk of failed upgrades... yeah fine, but to think the PU was not the biggest factor is incorrect in my opinion. Even one of the teams (RB iirc) said they speed/acceleration was no longer on the GPS traces.

EDIT

I don't have time to do all the digging, but see this quote from Autosport in October:

"Ferrari's recent poor form compared to Mercedes - which has included it appearing to lose its speed advantage in the early phase of straights - has been linked by some to the FIA sensors on the car."

It goes on to deny this is the case. But I think it actually is because what else would lose them this acceleration!

Carl Mccoy
Carl Mccoy

In US Gp Hamilton could not overtake Raikkonen despite DRS and worn out rival tires. Ferrari engines were so weak after installing an additional sensor. :-P

hollus

Back to 2019, please. :wink:
Rivals, not enemies.

Carl Mccoy
Carl Mccoy

Kimi was the second fastest in speed trap in qualifying. I do not think that the Ferrari engine suddenly lost its performance. During the race it was obvious that the engine performance was very much reduced. Max overtook Sebastian as if he had to deal with Williams. Gasly could not overtake anyone for the whole race. :-)

BwajSF
BwajSF

Please Guys Back on 2019 topic...
cause we have looot happening in our 2019 car.. lets keep it to SF90

pentaquark

Having to empty the auxiliary oil tank during Q might have had an impact on the end result? In the Q session I mean. I don't think Ferrari's oil burning PU relied on using oil from that auxialiary tank, did it ?

SiLo

Potentially the FIA asked them to not come back with something from 2018 that may have been seen as a bit of a grey area.

I'm waiting for more info really and probably another race to make a decision on that. Melbourne is a bit of an odd one.
Felipe Baby!

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

There is plenty of the so called information being pushed out and doing the rounds at present, it includes many parts of the car, plus to that it also includes the team and the usual one of its driver. The problem is that while there is no doubt that between winter testing and Australia something went wrong, what is being pushed out is rumors based on snippets from various pusher sources.

jumpingfish

pentaquark wrote:
19 Mar 2019, 10:14
Having to empty the auxiliary oil tank during Q might have had an impact on the end result? In the Q session I mean. I don't think Ferrari's oil burning PU relied on using oil from that auxialiary tank, did it ?
I don't think it's oil burning , on testings their speed was good enough but in race Ferrari looks as snail (1 sec per lap slower than MB).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gNzoy1hmSA Q3 - Vettel lost during first straight around 0.05s, then begin to lose on corners and brakings + on final straight loses acceleration speed again

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Capharol wrote:
18 Mar 2019, 17:45
https://i.imgur.com/03YFWYp.png

video to it:
check formula1.com video. How vettel caused his race as well as Lec. It is clear that lec will be and always wing-man for vettel.