McLaren MCL34

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Xero

Re: McLaren MCL34

CLKGTR wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 13:35
Based on the recent form, I expect Renault to lead the midfield battle, followed closely by McLaren. At Silverstone it was tight between them and the track suited McLaren better with more high speed corners.

Hockenheim has more slow speed stuff so I give small advantage to Renault R.S.19 which worked well at Silverstone after ditching some of their French GP updates which weren't working as expected.
Hockenheim is more akin to Austria than Silverstone though, which McLaren went very well at. McLaren may be struggling with low speed lateral grip, but it's traction and braking performance is excellent, and that's going to be key around there.

kfrantzios
kfrantzios

I can't see how a team (Renault) that is forced to ditch updates can perform better than a team that keeps improving (Mclaren)

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

M840TR
M840TR

kfrantzios wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 16:40
I can't see how a team (Renault) that is forced to ditch updates can perform better than a team that keeps improving (Mclaren)

Also churning out upgrades ahead of schedule.

diffuser

kfrantzios wrote:

When you have 25% bigger budget, you can dump 10% of your upgrades and still improve faster than the other team.

Not saying that is happening, just the how.

diffuser

Xero wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 13:47
CLKGTR wrote:
Based on the recent form, I expect Renault to lead the midfield battle, followed closely by McLaren. At Silverstone it was tight between them and the track suited McLaren better with more high speed corners.

Hockenheim has more slow speed stuff so I give small advantage to Renault R.S.19 which worked well at Silverstone after ditching some of their French GP updates which weren't working as expected.
Hockenheim is more akin to Austria than Silverstone though, which McLaren went very well at. McLaren may be struggling with low speed lateral grip, but it's traction and braking performance is excellent, and that's going to be key around there.

More slow speed corners than both...

Dipesh1995
Dipesh1995

Big Tea

diffuser wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 18:37
kfrantzios wrote:

When you have 25% bigger budget, you can dump 10% of your upgrades and still improve faster than the other team.

It may sound Blase' but dumping upgrades that do not work is in its self a plus point. Struggling to come to terms and adding up counter the upgrades is an easy route if not carefully monitored.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Xero

diffuser wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 18:42
Xero wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 13:47
CLKGTR wrote:

More slow speed corners than both...

https://www.racefans.net/wp-content/ ... 2012.jpg
Most of the slow corners are traction based, which is fine for McLaren. They'd tend to struggle in the arena section with lateral scrubbing, but some of the corners are cambered, so it might not hurt them as much. S1 and S2 is very much like Austria.

kfrantzios
kfrantzios

Big Tea wrote:
diffuser wrote:
kfrantzios wrote:

It may sound Blase' but dumping upgrades that do not work is in its self a plus point. Struggling to come to terms and adding up counter the upgrades is an easy route if not carefully monitored.
Upgrades that don't work mean poor corellation. I can't see a benefit in that.

Big Tea

kfrantzios wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 22:07
Big Tea wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Mclaren last year?

Edit, possibly williams
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

Big Tea wrote:
16 Jul 2019, 22:09
kfrantzios wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

Mclaren last year?

Edit, possibly williams
I didn't say it was a benefit. I SAID "if you have a 25% bigger budget you could still dump 10% of the upgrades and still have 15% more that work!

kfrantzios
kfrantzios

diffuser wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 03:40
Big Tea wrote:
kfrantzios wrote:

Mclaren last year?

Edit, possibly williams
I didn't say it was a benefit. I SAID "if you have a 25% bigger budget you could still dump 10% of the upgrades and still have 15% more that work!
McLaren last year and this year's Williams suffered from fundamental issues. I think this years Renault does not.

Budget is not equal to upgrades. We don't know the budget allocated for aero development plus i think it's too late in the season to start developing something groundbreaking. If McLaren's aero correlation is better than Renault's, then the upgrades that are pipelined, will work as expected. Can we say that for Renault?

diffuser

kfrantzios wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 09:26
diffuser wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 03:40
Big Tea wrote:

Mclaren last year?

Edit, possibly williams
McLaren last year and this year's Williams suffered from fundamental issues. I think this years Renault does not.

Budget is not equal to upgrades. We don't know the budget allocated for aero development plus i think it's too late in the season to start developing something groundbreaking. If McLaren's aero correlation is better than Renault's, then the upgrades that are pipelined, will work as expected. Can we say that for Renault?
Listen, someone asked how could Renault keep up with McLaren with the upgrade failures they've had. I said simple, they have a bigger budget they have more upgrades.

The truth is, they been right up our a$$es.

That's all I'm saying. I'm not making any predictions.

PhillipM
PhillipM

The trouble is, most of the aero and development time around now will be shifting to next years car. So the upgrades you have for the rest of the season are ones you already signed off for production or just refinement work, and your track-specific packages.

If you're having upgrade issues because of correlation you can't just assume some will work and bin off the ones that don't and rely on making more of them - because if you haven't found your issue by now all the rest of your upgrades are potentially compromised - and you can't afford to put huge simulation time into them without compromising next years cars.
It's the same reason Mclaren just basically stopped bringing updates to their car last year while they spent a lot of time testing to understand exactly what the issue was and then put the fix into this years car.

M840TR
M840TR

PhillipM wrote:
17 Jul 2019, 16:08
The trouble is, most of the aero and development time around now will be shifting to next years car. So the upgrades you have for the rest of the season are ones you already signed off for production or just refinement work, and your track-specific packages.

If you're having upgrade issues because of correlation you can't just assume some will work and bin off the ones that don't and rely on making more of them - because if you haven't found your issue by now all the rest of your upgrades are potentially compromised - and you can't afford to put huge simulation time into them without compromising next years cars.
It's the same reason Mclaren just basically stopped bringing updates to their car last year while they spent a lot of time testing to understand exactly what the issue was and then put the fix into this years car.
Also, correlation issues compromise next year's car too. Same issue Ferrari has now.