[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
machin

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2019 (Grand Prix Cars)

wb92 wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 20:22
The car for Japanese GP chasing the rising sun.
https://ibb.co/njyNfkK
https://ibb.co/mt2KNSv
https://ibb.co/MPZc6DN

Lot of changes on the rear, to get better balance. Obviously only by getting more downforce there. I think finally my diffuser works as it should (but still lot of potential there), so tunnels didn't work out as wanted, but that gave some options for the future. I'm only afraid that I could have too much cooling ;) and maybe that if one bit risky move with car setting may not pay off, but let's see - it's also part of the game :D

General plan is to be around CAEdevice performance level :)

PS
I could spend definitely too much time on details and cleaning up flow in many places, and mount wings and louvres everywhere
Awesome looking car and really cool renders too! How’s your cooling looking now?
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Continues
Continues

machin wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 22:01
Continues wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 21:51
I might use the joker if I get better balance with a new car.
Good news about the car, but you need to declare the Joker (by E-mail to Andre) before the normal deadline... this is to avoid Andre starting your CFD analysis... 👍👍👍
Thanks, I missed that completely #-o.
The new car isn't ready anyway, can't wait to see everyone else's results =D>
OK Racing Team

wb92

machin wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 22:02
wb92 wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 20:22
The car for Japanese GP chasing the rising sun.
https://ibb.co/njyNfkK
https://ibb.co/mt2KNSv
https://ibb.co/MPZc6DN

Lot of changes on the rear, to get better balance. Obviously only by getting more downforce there. I think finally my diffuser works as it should (but still lot of potential there), so tunnels didn't work out as wanted, but that gave some options for the future. I'm only afraid that I could have too much cooling ;) and maybe that if one bit risky move with car setting may not pay off, but let's see - it's also part of the game :D

General plan is to be around CAEdevice performance level :)

PS
I could spend definitely too much time on details and cleaning up flow in many places, and mount wings and louvres everywhere
Awesome looking car and really cool renders too! How’s your cooling looking now?
After surprising cooling performance in Singapore, I think now I might have too much cooling. The whole package works pretty good now, but there are still some points here and there to improve :)
MVRC - WBRacing

LVDH

Continues wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 22:46
machin wrote:
01 Oct 2019, 22:01
Continues wrote:
30 Sep 2019, 21:51
I might use the joker if I get better balance with a new car.
Good news about the car, but you need to declare the Joker (by E-mail to Andre) before the normal deadline... this is to avoid Andre starting your CFD analysis... 👍👍👍
Thanks, I missed that completely #-o.
The new car isn't ready anyway, can't wait to see everyone else's results =D>
It is also because of general fairness and we cannot have chaotic stuff happening. There are now 16 cars!

Here are the images:
Full set is here:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cars-mvrc-suzuka-2019/

wb92

Wow! the grid looks really impressive, some cars are indeed crazy in some areas.

I think on the pics there should be 'Suzuka' instead of 'Sepang' :)
MVRC - WBRacing

etsmc
etsmc

HA... Just noticed from the images I forgot to submit the front wing with the top half of the endplate... been such a bad start for me to this challenge.
Let us hope that there is not much of a rule change for next year and I can just learn from this and have a better 2020...

Interesting to see a cape on the pure power car and the detail in WB Racing.
Varients front wing is the main plane neutral just like the mandated central section?? it doesn't look to change shape at all.

rjsa
rjsa

Ohh boy I'm having a hard time trying to bring the diffuser to life.

variante

Interesting cars.
I'm curious to see where Koldskaal (tasty name BTW) lands with those upgrades, as his performance is pretty good already. However, i'd be surprised to see big cooling improvements.
Team Racing (must have taken ages to come up with that name BTW) looks like a solid new entry. He could totally get close to the top right away.
WWI (you're all doing it on purpose BTW) features a very sweet design! But will the larger cooling exit be enough to make the top positions even more crowded?
It's also interesting to see how GGB integrates bits from other teams into his already nice design.

etsmc wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 07:44
Varients front wing is the main plane neutral just like the mandated central section?? it doesn't look to change shape at all.
It does change, but the transition is gentle.

etsmc
etsmc

Don't know if anyone else is willing to share or not but how are we all feeding the diffuser?
I know from the LMP style cars of the last championship it ended up with most of the cars pulling air in from the side of the floor into the diffuser.
From my own experience with these cars that seems neer impossible and currently my diffuser is being fed from only the air under the floor entering from the front.
When I get chance I will see if I can post some images.

CAEdevice

etsmc wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 03:24
I know from the LMP style cars of the last championship it ended up with most of the cars pulling air in from the side of the floor into the diffuser.
Not mine: I prefer to seal (as much as possible) the floor. Lateral channels of the diffuser contribute to avoid that the unwanted flow from the sides reaches the central part of the diffuser. The downforce come from the floor and not from the diffuser itself, but this is not the only possible philosophy.

Koldskaal

Hi there
variante wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 21:59
Interesting cars.
I'm curious to see where Koldskaal (tasty name BTW) lands with those upgrades, as his performance is pretty good already. However, i'd be surprised to see big cooling improvements.
hehe, my numbers are showing around 110% cooling. Remember WB-racing in Singapore got 98% with inlets smaller than mine are now. The official results seem to be quite generous to my car, concerning downforce. So I don’t really know what to expect with overall Cl or CoP. Suzuka will be interesting!

On the diffuser topic: on my car, pulling air in from the side, would just be pulling in the front tire wake.
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

etsmc
etsmc

CAEdevice wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 07:23
Not mine: I prefer to seal (as much as possible) the floor. Lateral channels of the diffuser contribute to avoid that the unwanted flow from the sides reaches the central part of the diffuser.
so does this mean you are actually seeing the flow from the sides of the floor reach your diffuser? personally I am not but I am also not running any rake so this could be why. [-o<

CAEdevice

etsmc wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 08:42
CAEdevice wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 07:23
Not mine: I prefer to seal (as much as possible) the floor. Lateral channels of the diffuser contribute to avoid that the unwanted flow from the sides reaches the central part of the diffuser.
so does this mean you are actually seeing the flow from the sides of the floor reach your diffuser? personally I am not but I am also not running any rake so this could be why. [-o<
Only from the rear half of the floor: the front half is protected by the outwash of front wing and bargeboeards. I would like to extend this effect to the whole floor, not to increase lateral flow (I am running with small rake, from -0,20° to 0,00°, I use it only to correct balance).

Generally speaking, I agree with Chirstian from Team Koldskaal, the principal issue is to control the tyre wake/squirt

etsmc
etsmc

CAEdevice wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 08:58
Only from the rear half of the floor: the front half is protected by the outwash of front wing and bargeboeards. I would like to extend this effect to the whole floor, not to increase lateral flow (I am running with small rake, from -0,20° to 0,00°, I use it only to correct balance).
Generally speaking, I agree with Chirstian from Team Koldskaal, the principal issue is to control the tyre wake/squirt
Koldskaal wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 08:03
On the diffuser topic: on my car, pulling air in from the side, would just be pulling in the front tire wake.
So on the topic of controlling tyre wake, i am finding that if my bargeboards are aggressive enough I can turn the vortex coming off the front wing (around the wingtip and central section) and push the wake from the front tires outboard but should this vortex be on the front side of the bargeboards or the backside?
The downside to this I find is the turning of the air by the bargeboards is limiting the flow under the car I believe how can I improve this?

Please remember I am a complete novice and you guys have a much better understanding of things, these are just my findings.

wb92

etsmc wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 03:24
Don't know if anyone else is willing to share or not but how are we all feeding the diffuser?
Basically it starts from the front wing in my case, but mostly coming from teatray area.
Then as mentioned it's important to seal side sections of the car - which will also improve suction through the whole floor. Then, the problem is rear tyre wake, especially for those who run high rakes, therefore you need to be sure that your outboard part part of the diffuser is 'catching' it and pulling it away with proper strakes. Next is to make section behind plank to work without big separations. This step there is pain in the a*.
CAEdevice wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 08:58
Okay, now I see from where low drag is coming from, but it's cool that you've found good tool to adjust balance.
etsmc wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 10:00
So on the topic of controlling tyre wake, i am finding that if my bargeboards are aggressive enough I can turn the vortex coming off the front wing (around the wingtip and central section) and push the wake from the front tires outboard but should this vortex be on the front side of the bargeboards or the backside?
The downside to this I find is the turning of the air by the bargeboards is limiting the flow under the car I believe how can I improve this?
It should be on the front side, if you would get it on the back side, you will allow this vortex to go through the whole car and therefore it will limit your flow there. Such 'downside' might be caused by additional vortex/vortices coming from the bargeboard itself.
Koldskaal wrote:
04 Oct 2019, 08:03
hehe, my numbers are showing around 110% cooling. Remember WB-racing in Singapore got 98% with inlets smaller than mine are now.
It's not only about size of the inlet ;) Actually I may have also >100% of cooling with such small inlets, and in theory it could be smaller ^^. Keep in mind that I started the season with awful engine power, so I had bit more work to get it right beside balance and other stuff.
MVRC - WBRacing