Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

godlameroso wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 17:06
saviour stivala wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 12:21
.poz wrote:
25 Oct 2019, 10:12

ES->MGUH is unlimited...

so you can
open the waste gate to gain a bit of power form ICE runnig compressor by electrical power
or
build a heavier turbo compressor and use it to store a small amount of energy continuously switching the flux ES to MGUH MGUH to MGUK (both unlimited)
“ES > MGU-H is unlimited”. But what is max SOC of ES?.
The ES itself has unlimited capacity(of course it's limited by battery chemistry). Max SOC per lap is 4MJ, so even if the ES can store 10MJ, no more than 4MJ can be used per lap. In addition to the 4MJ to MGU-K requirement, you are also not allowed to pool more than 4MJ. In other words there is a virtual battery that is capped at 4MJ. So if you harvest 4MJ and spend 4MJ that is ok. If you harvest 5MJ and spend 4 that's ok. If you harvest 5 and spend 5, that's not ok. If you harvest 6 and spend 4, then send the other 2 after spending the 4, that's ok.

So you could harvest 6, send 4 to the MGU-K and then 2 to the MGU-H, and that would be ok, as long as the virtual battery was within the 4MJ SOC. Because the virtual battery can be depleted and refilled independent of laps.
The battery powers other devices. The energy cap is just for the MGUK i believe. Even battery to mguh is unlimited. The mguh drains the battery pretty quickly so abusing that usage is at the teams own peril. Correct me if i am wrong though
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

F1Krof

I think back in 2016 they said they would start to manufacture 3D printed pistons from 2017 onward. Coincidentally their engine performance only grew since then.
Wroom wroom

MtthsMlw

PlatinumZealot wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 22:32
godlameroso wrote:
saviour stivala wrote:

The ES itself has unlimited capacity(of course it's limited by battery chemistry). Max SOC per lap is 4MJ, so even if the ES can store 10MJ, no more than 4MJ can be used per lap. In addition to the 4MJ to MGU-K requirement, you are also not allowed to pool more than 4MJ. In other words there is a virtual battery that is capped at 4MJ. So if you harvest 4MJ and spend 4MJ that is ok. If you harvest 5MJ and spend 4 that's ok. If you harvest 5 and spend 5, that's not ok. If you harvest 6 and spend 4, then send the other 2 after spending the 4, that's ok.

So you could harvest 6, send 4 to the MGU-K and then 2 to the MGU-H, and that would be ok, as long as the virtual battery was within the 4MJ SOC. Because the virtual battery can be depleted and refilled independent of laps.
The battery powers other devices. The energy cap is just for the MGUK i believe. Even battery to mguh is unlimited. The mguh drains the battery pretty quickly so abusing that usage is at the teams own peril. Correct me if i am wrong though
MGUK drains the ES at a max of 120kw, MGUH at around 80kw maybe a bit more.
The 4MJ ES would be empty after around 20s if you run both at the max.
Just for the sake of completeness..

henry

PlatinumZealot wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
saviour stivala wrote:

There are three energy caps.

The SOC applies to everything. It is probably monitored by integrating flow across the sensor at the ES

The two MGU-K caps are probably monitored by summing simultaneous flow across the two sensors that monitor such things.

I may be wrong. But I’ve not seen any other explanation of how the energy caps are monitored using the two sensors.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

LM10
LM10

djones wrote:
26 Oct 2019, 19:53
Talk on multiple other forums suggests Mercedes and Honda now know what Ferrari are doing.

Two teams are said to be considering a protest (presumably the two Honda teams).

Toto has allegedly said they need to implement it on their car in an interview with Sky.
Which forums and what are the sources of those people suggesting that?

PlatinumZealot

henry wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 00:33

The ES itself has unlimited capacity(of course it's limited by battery chemistry). Max SOC per lap is 4MJ, so even if the ES can store 10MJ, no more than 4MJ can be used per lap. In addition to the 4MJ to MGU-K requirement, you are also not allowed to pool more than 4MJ. In other words there is a virtual battery that is capped at 4MJ. So if you harvest 4MJ and spend 4MJ that is ok. If you harvest 5MJ and spend 4 that's ok. If you harvest 5 and spend 5, that's not ok. If you harvest 6 and spend 4, then send

The SOC applies to everything. It is probably monitored by integrating flow across the sensor at the ES

The two MGU-K caps are probably monitored by summing simultaneous flow across the two sensors that monitor such things.

I may be wrong. But I’ve not seen any other explanation of how the energy caps are monitored using the two sensors.
Apparently ers to "other auxiliaries" is unlimited!
The max/min difference in state of charge is the limit yes. But that shouldn't be an issue if you are getting a bigger return in combustion by siphoning off the unlimited flow that would go from mguh to mguk via the battery.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

godlameroso

PlatinumZealot wrote:
godlameroso wrote:
saviour stivala wrote:

The MGU-H has a max power rating of ~80kw correct? So how would it sap more energy than the MGU-K which has a 120kW power rating. I do believe that you need an ES that has more than 4MJ to power both the way Ferrari is doing.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 01:08
henry wrote:

The ES itself has unlimited capacity(of course it's limited by battery chemistry). Max SOC per lap is 4MJ, so even if the ES can store 10MJ, no more than 4MJ can be used per lap. In addition to the 4MJ to MGU-K requirement, you are also not allowed to pool more than 4MJ. In other words there is a virtual battery that is capped at 4MJ. So if you harvest 4MJ and spend 4MJ that is ok. If you harvest 5MJ and spend 4 that's ok. If you harvest 5 and spend 5, that's not ok. If you harvest 6 and spend 4, then send

The max/min difference in state of charge is the limit yes. But that shouldn't be an issue if you are getting a bigger return in combustion by siphoning off the unlimited flow that would go from mguh to mguk via the battery.

https://statics.sportskeeda.com/wp-cont ... 24x606.jpg
I've been saying that engine ancillaries could help shuffle energy around for years.
Saishū kōnā

gruntguru
gruntguru

godlameroso wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 02:53
The MGU-H has a max power rating of ~80kw correct?
If you are referring to the rules - no - there is no limit.
je suis charlie

PlatinumZealot

godlameroso wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 02:53
PlatinumZealot wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

The MGU-H has a max power rating of ~80kw correct? So how would it sap more energy than the MGU-K which has a 120kW power rating. I do believe that you need an ES that has more than 4MJ to power both the way Ferrari is doing.
MGUH can work all the time unlimited unlike the battery to mguk which is governed.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Zynerji

Could a team send power to the alternator and use that like a MGU-K?

I had suspected this with Renault burning alternators at the end of the V8 era...

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Energy store (ES) art 1.27. The difference between the maximum and the minimum stat of charge of the ES may not exceed 4MJ ‘at any time’ the car is on track.
To my mind the above simply means that 4MJ is the maximum that is allowed either to be extracted or returned to the ES ‘at any time’ the car is on track.
Returning 6MJ to the ES and extracting 6 MJ from the ES and splitting it 4MJ to ‘K’ and 2MJ to ‘H’ will exceed the “4MJ at any time the car is on track” rules. This is different from being able to ‘top-up’ the maximum permitted 4MJ for more than one time while the car is on track and or over one lap.

henry

PlatinumZealot wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 01:08
henry wrote:

https://statics.sportskeeda.com/wp-cont ... 24x606.jpg
Do you think an Ozone generator supplying gas to the Engine would be in the category “other ancillaries”?
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

henry

Zynerji wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 05:30
Could a team send power to the alternator and use that like a MGU-K?

I had suspected this with Renault burning alternators at the end of the V8 era...
There is no alternator. The ancillaries are supplied by the ES and/or the MGU-H/MGU-K (which also supply the ES).

This is also an answer to @Platinum Zealot’s query about whether the MGU-K is the alternator substitute.

restless
restless

saviour stivala wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 06:09
Energy store (ES) art 1.27. The difference between the maximum and the minimum stat of charge of the ES may not exceed 4MJ ‘at any time’ the car is on track.
To my mind the above simply means that 4MJ is the maximum that is allowed either to be extracted or returned to the ES ‘at any time’ the car is on track.
Returning 6MJ to the ES and extracting 6 MJ from the ES and splitting it 4MJ to ‘K’ and 2MJ to ‘H’ will exceed the “4MJ at any time the car is on track” rules. This is different from being able to ‘top-up’ the maximum permitted 4MJ for more than one time while the car is on track and or over one lap.
1. return 4MJ to ES
2. extract 4MJ to K&H (2+2)
3. return 2MJ to ES
4. extract 2MJ to K
perfectly legal