Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
saviour stivala
saviour stivala

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Agree that is perfectly legal within 4MJ at any time.

gokarter
gokarter

unbelievable with all the support from Ferrari International Assistance like Bernie mentioned https://autoweek.com/article/formula-on ... vantage-f1. ferrari still cant get other stuff of motoracing right . another funny pit stop botch. the only thing they have going for them is their illegal qualy engine that Ferrari international assistance just ignores because that their job

MtthsMlw

gokarter wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 23:01
unbelievable with all the support from Ferrari International Assistance like Bernie mentioned https://autoweek.com/article/formula-on ... vantage-f1. ferrari still cant get other stuff of motoracing right . another funny pit stop botch. the only thing they have going for them is their illegal qualy engine that Ferrari international assistance just ignores because that their job
Please leave this forum if you have nothing else to post

LM10
LM10

gokarter wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 23:01
Max should have given the position back to Magnussen when he overtook him off track. There was no investigation whatsoever. I’m telling that because it’s a driver from your favorite team which should have been investigated, but “Ferrari International Assistance” let them go.
You’re frustrated RBR didn’t manage to win and keep trolling around. Do it anywhere else.

djones
djones

Binotto seems to be execting a protest after the race and welcomes it. But he would say that I guess.

LM10
LM10

djones wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 23:43
Binotto seems to be execting a protest after the race and welcomes it. But he would say that I guess.
It would be nice, if you could send some sources as well. Where did you see or read that Binotto is expecting a protest?

Also, I asked you yesterday about the forums where some people suggest that Mercedes and Honda know what Ferrari is doing with their PU and suggest that Toto told they want to implement it to their car and Honda wants to protest or something like that. That’s what you posted. So my question again: Which forums and which sources do these people rely on?

djones
djones

LM10 wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 23:51
djones wrote:
It would be nice, if you could send some sources as well. Where did you see or read that Binotto is expecting a protest?

Also, I asked you yesterday about the forums where some people suggest that Mercedes and Honda know what Ferrari is doing with their PU and suggest that Toto told they want to implement it to their car and Honda wants to protest or something like that. That’s what you posted. So my question again: Which forums and which sources do these people rely on?
Look on the Autosport main news page.

Then look on Reddit and Autosport forums for the talk about the Honda and Merc knowledge.

I don't want to post links to other forums and sites as I once got told off for it by a mod.

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

djones wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 23:53
LM10 wrote:
djones wrote:

Then look on Reddit and Autosport forums for the talk about the Honda and Merc knowledge.

I don't want to post links to other forums and sites as I once got told off for it by a mod.
Autosport are hardly a reliable source, pretty much a motorsport tabloid.

Post the links, you will be fine because they are on topic.

LM10
LM10

3jawchuck wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 23:59
djones wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 23:53
LM10 wrote:

Autosport are hardly a reliable source, pretty much a motorsport tabloid.

Post the links, you will be fine because they are on topic.
Just looked up the article on the main page. Autosport quoted Binotto telling that they would be happy about a protest to finally clear their name and show how stupid the accusations are.

Didn’t find much on forums, though.

wuzak
wuzak

saviour stivala wrote:
27 Oct 2019, 06:09
Energy store (ES) art 1.27. The difference between the maximum and the minimum stat of charge of the ES may not exceed 4MJ ‘at any time’ the car is on track.
To my mind the above simply means that 4MJ is the maximum that is allowed either to be extracted or returned to the ES ‘at any time’ the car is on track.
Returning 6MJ to the ES and extracting 6 MJ from the ES and splitting it 4MJ to ‘K’ and 2MJ to ‘H’ will exceed the “4MJ at any time the car is on track” rules. This is different from being able to ‘top-up’ the maximum permitted 4MJ for more than one time while the car is on track and or over one lap.
Think of the ES like a 4L bucket.

Start the lap with a full bucket.

Take some out to feed the K on the straight, and maybe some to the H.

Put some back in at the end of the straight.

If you put in more than you've already taken out that lap and the bucket overflows (and you have broken the rule).

Take some out, put some in, etc. So long as you don't overflow or use a reserve beyond the bucket's capacity, you are OK.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

"Take some out, put some in, etc, As long as you don't overflow or use a reserve beyond the bucket's capacity. you are OK".
Agree, because that falls within the ES 4MJ difference between the maximum and the minimum stat of charge at any time the car is on track rule.

TEHNOS

I speak to an official who has knowledge of the engine’s workings.
They tell me that after the FIA inspected the system with the full co-operation of Ferrari, there were no discernible high pressure points within the system from which fluids could leak. Three distinctly different liquids are used for cooling.
The question of how Ferrari is achieving its prodigious power output therefore remains. It’s a matter their rivals will be anxious to get to the bottom of in order to close the gap before the start of the 2020 F1 season.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/10/28/pad ... ay-four-2/

MtthsMlw

TEHNOS wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 18:10

I speak to an official who has knowledge of the engine’s workings.
They tell me that after the FIA inspected the system with the full co-operation of Ferrari, there were no discernible high pressure points within the system from which fluids could leak. Three distinctly different liquids are used for cooling.
The question of how Ferrari is achieving its prodigious power output therefore remains. It’s a matter their rivals will be anxious to get to the bottom of in order to close the gap before the start of the 2020 F1 season.

https://www.racefans.net/2019/10/28/pad ... ay-four-2/
I wish some team would still open an investigation just cause I'm interested in some official information instead of remaining in this nebulous state.

Mister
Mister

I have a question.

1: is there a maximum boost the turbo can put out?
2: is there a maximum compression ratio for combustion?

Something got me thinking after a post I’ve seen in this tread.

Most of the power gains Ferrari made were after they 3D printed the pistons.

What if they came up with a clever design. Like the rigidity of the piston and/or the shape of the piston. How can a higher boost and compression ratio benefit them? What would ferrari do to make that work and more importantly, what should shell do to have a fuel that can cope with this?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t a higher compression ratio increase knock, exhaust gas temperatures and back pressure?

pb6797
pb6797

Some thoughts from Marc Priestley on the Ferrari power unit here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLkn8hWlsQs

Talks about why the customer teams don't have the same speed advantage and touches on aero differences, additives and operating modes. I have no idea of his sources or veracity of his information but it's a different viewpoint on the topic. Doesn't mention the battery, interestingly.