Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
santos
santos

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

djones wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 13:45
Is it possible that they pour something into the intercooler pre-qualifying and this then takes about 20 minutes of running to be used up?
Methane… Maybe they force the drivers to eat a lot of bean.

Morteza

Ferrari Energy Stores 2019 and 2018. Different shapes (via Nicolas Carpentiers)

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Big Tea

Even if the other teams can not find where Ferrari's advantage is, the odds are they stumble on other things during the search, so all to the advantage of F1
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

MtthsMlw

Morteza wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 16:50
Ferrari Energy Stores 2019 and 2018. Different shapes (via Nicolas Carpentiers)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIITWtzWwAA ... me=900x900

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIITWt1XYAE ... me=900x900
Cool shot, these are quite rare.
Might be lowering the COG

pb6797
pb6797

rscsr wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 23:54
regarding the 3 different liquids for cooling, I think that each engine manufacturer uses distinct liquids for the seperate components.
At least Renault does, according to the interview with Taffin(?) in the latest RET.
Could just mean water, glycol and corrosion inhibitor. Probably doesn't but ...

Phil

Nonserviam85 wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 14:24
Phil wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 16:58
Nonserviam85 wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 14:09
So the PU is perfectly legal, what’s next?
It means (IMO) the teams are still in the dark and haven’t clarified the right area yet. Either that, or they haven’t filed the right protest.

You either copy them, assuming you know what they are doing, and run the risk to later be protested by the teams that don’t follow - or you make a specific inquiry into the legality of what you intend to do. If the FIA say no, it’s not allowed, you protest the team in question (like Racingpoint did with Renault).
It is obvious that the other teams are in the dark, but what stillmakes you think they are doing something illegal? The PU is deemed legal by the FIA so I believe the other PU manufacturers are just using FIA to extract as many info as they can.
It’s all semantics. It’s legal until it isnt. When teams do something that isnt intended by the rules (e.g. oil burning), it will be clarified and then subsequently changed. Same applies to Ferrari. Whatever they are doing is brilliant for sure, but most likely within some grey zone within the rules.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

dans79

Phil wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 21:48
It’s all semantics. It’s legal until it isnt. When teams do something that isnt intended by the rules (e.g. oil burning), it will be clarified and then subsequently changed. Same applies to Ferrari. Whatever they are doing is brilliant for sure, but most likely within some grey zone within the rules.
Exactly, FRIC is a perfect example of this. It was known about for like a year and a half and was perfectly fine until it was banned mid season 2014.
201 105 104 9 9 7

wuzak
wuzak

djones wrote:
Is it possible that they pour something into the intercooler pre-qualifying and this then takes about 20 minutes of running to be used up?
No, that would be illegal.

If you mean something that will be brought into the combustion chamber.

Not sure if adding something to the cooling medium would make any difference.

I would think it would be a hard sell to say that a controlled leak would admit some oil into the intake air from the intercooler amounts to "incidental leakage".

For the intercooler I would expect that the area where "incidental leakage" could reasonably be found is at the fittings where the cooling circuit (oil) connects to the intercooler. Any leakage from those joints would not (should not) find its way anywhere near the air stream.

MarcJ
MarcJ

izzy wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 23:16
MtthsMlw wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 21:24
I wish some team would still open an investigation just cause I'm interested in some official information instead of remaining in this nebulous state.
yes me too! How can 3 'distinctly different fluids' all be equally good for cooling? Cooling is what, transporting heat, ie a high specific heat and low viscosity isn't it. i.e. water and glycol!! You would only use something else if you wanted it to do something else.

Oh now I look Ammonia is better. But still, whatever's best for cooling why use something else for cooling?
They are using a new nano fluid coolant developed in Australia, a graphene enhanced heat transfer coolant, FlexeGraph and Mark Priestley is a Investor.

izzy
izzy

MarcJ wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 08:39
They are using a new nano fluid coolant developed in Australia, a graphene enhanced heat transfer coolant, FlexeGraph and Mark Priestley is a Investor.
oh excellent! this is the kind of coolant we need in F1 :D

They're a bit vague and short of figures on their website aren't they, but: "up to * 60% improved heat exchange compared with market leading materials" sounds good

it still leaves the question of why 3 'distinctly different' fluids, but it's very nice as far as it goes. I'd love to know which radiators they do and don't use it in, and what they use in the others. And what about ammonia? It's specific heat is +50% compared to water+glycol, tho i suppose it is quite corrosive. edit oh it's used in fridges apparently

GhostF1
GhostF1

Big Tea wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 18:36
Even if the other teams can not find where Ferrari's advantage is, the odds are they stumble on other things during the search, so all to the advantage of F1
According to Horner, Honda believes Ferrari's advantage is not on specific area but on both sides of the system. Combustion and ERS. They claim they have scope for improvement as well. So we know at least Merc and Honda (from team principal comments) are confident on making a step next year. 2020 testing and Melbourne will be interesting next year.

Slo Poke
Slo Poke

Having seriously messed with their party mode differential Ferrari have found that microns thereabouts matter.
Hat’s off to that one! Not content with crushing the fly, they’ve replaced it with a wasp.

Polite
Polite

wuzak wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 02:10
djones wrote:
For the intercooler I would expect that the area where "incidental leakage" could reasonably be found is at the fittings where the cooling circuit (oil) connects to the intercooler. Any leakage from those joints would not (should not) find its way anywhere near the air stream.
Fia said not! no incidental leakage and no fluctuations in pressure in any idraulic system during a race weekend. So no!

https://www.essentiallysports.com/f1-te ... al-engine/

also explains the new in race tyre graph.
"The % value indicates how much of the tyre performance capability has been used thus far into the stint; this value is not to be confused with tyre wear which instead refers to the amount of actual rubber removed from the tyre during the usage period. Lower values indicate a proportional loss in tyre performance via tyre degradation." But it looks strange... can this be calculated for every single car? I dont think so..

Sierra117

Ten bucks says it's been the drinks bottle all along. You don't need the drink during qualifying, so fill it up with some super forbidden oil or fluid, attach it to a conduit leading to ICE and voila you have modalita party that goes away on Sunday!
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

PlatinumZealot

rscsr wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 23:54

regarding the 3 different liquids for cooling, I think that each engine manufacturer uses distinct liquids for the seperate components.
At least Renault does, according to the interview with Taffin(?) in the latest RET.
Yes.
ERS coolant
Engine and anciliaries
Charge air coolant

Pretty straight forward i would say.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028