Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
OO7
OO7

Re: Mercedes W11

Racing Point's Technical Director Andy Green on the Mercedes M11 EQ Power Unit:

'He also expects Racing Point to take a big step forwards in the midfield battle should the engine gains from Mercedes which they are seeing in the data be replicated on the track.
“If we get the data on the line, we will take a giant step forward,” he said.'

zibby43
zibby43

OO7 wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 20:04
Racing Point's Technical Director Andy Green on the Mercedes M11 EQ Power Unit:

'He also expects Racing Point to take a big step forwards in the midfield battle should the engine gains from Mercedes which they are seeing in the data be replicated on the track.
“If we get the data on the line, we will take a giant step forward,” he said.'
Great nugget of info.

atanatizante

Although it`s five days ago, at the Silverstone circuit filming day they seem to gather some aero data ... are they allowed to do that?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

TheFluffy
TheFluffy

atanatizante wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 21:52
https://postimages.org/

Although it`s five days ago, at the Silverstone circuit filming day they seem to gather some aero data ... are they allowed to do that?
Well they are allowed as far as I know, they actually put a few probe sensors behind their sidepods (on the floor) to measure air flow to the diffuser. I think this is standard procedure for a lot of the teams for filming day. Besides this measures wing deflection as far as I know so perhaps this implies they changed something structurally with the wing from last year?

Gooch
Gooch

The last two inches of the wing can't contain metal anymore. Looks like they wanted to make sure the new design was as stiff as they planned.

nevill3

So did anybody see the Ted Kravitz analysis of the new rear suspension layout and what he was billing as the innovation of the week, possibly giving Mercedes a huge advantage that the other teams will find hard to replicate.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... 11-secrets
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

izzy
izzy

nevill3 wrote:
19 Feb 2020, 22:21
So did anybody see the Ted Kravitz analysis of the new rear suspension layout and what he was billing as the innovation of the week, possibly giving Mercedes a huge advantage that the other teams will find hard to replicate.

yes, and it does fit in with what James Allison was saying doesn't it, that the rear suspension has been developed for an aero benefit, and it ties in with the front suspension and smaller cooling package

holeindalip
holeindalip

nevill3 wrote:

Geo locked for me, could you explain?

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

The rear suspension looks similar to what McLaren tried with the MP-30, they ultimately abandonned it.

OO7
OO7

nevill3 wrote:

Ted talked about it being there to control tyre squirt. To me it looks like Mercedes are trying to reduce the obstruction to airflow over the diffuser, the end result could be the same however. More airflow over the diffuser will increase downforce, more airflow over the diffuser also equates to more airflow between the diffuser and rear tyre, simply due to the flow path and this will help control rear tyre squirt, leading to another additional element of rear downforce.

atanatizante

The infamous "upright hole" is back again! Or it`s just for these winter tests for further development?
If I recall last year there were some protests against it and don`t see the reason they pursue this solution further on ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

SiLo

I think I need to see more images. How does this layout help the aero?
Felipe Baby!

AMG.Tzan

Ted Kravitz said that Mercedes has a true innovation this year on the rear suspension that helps them produce a lot of downforce at the rear by taking care of the gap between the rear tire and the diffuser!

Question 1: How can suspension alone do this?? They don't seem to have anything strange aerodynamically on it!

Question 2: If they indeed increase rear downforce by doing this they should have to increase front downforce also to balance it! They don't seem to have brought anything new on the front wing - nose...how do they produce more downforce up front then??
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

Jolle
Jolle

AMG.Tzan wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 00:20
Ted Kravitz said that Mercedes has a true innovation this year on the rear suspension that helps them produce a lot of downforce at the rear by taking care of the gap between the rear tire and the diffuser!

Question 1: How can suspension alone do this?? They don't seem to have anything strange aerodynamically on it!

Question 2: If they indeed increase rear downforce by doing this they should have to increase front downforce also to balance it! They don't seem to have brought anything new on the front wing - nose...how do they produce more downforce up front then??
Or... you don’t have the RW doing so much work and therefore produce less drag

AMG.Tzan

Jolle wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 00:36
AMG.Tzan wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 00:20

Or... you don’t have the RW doing so much work and therefore produce less drag
That's right but it didn't look any smaller than last year! Instead it looks like on its full downforce setting!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis