Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: Mercedes W11

Big Tea wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 20:33
Not disputing the legality of it just the need of it. There is a big move to controlling costs in areas spectators can not identify, surely this is one?
Looks pretty identifiable to me - everyone is looking at it on the cameras. Also transferable to automatic systems in road cars.

Big Tea

PhillipM wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 20:50
Big Tea wrote:
Not disputing the legality of it just the need of it. There is a big move to controlling costs in areas spectators can not identify, surely this is one?
Looks pretty identifiable to me - everyone is looking at it on the cameras. Also transferable to automatic systems in road cars.
You think it would benefit road cars? The speed most places are restricted to it would make no difference but ad a huge chunk to the cost
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Big Tea wrote:
turbof1 wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 20:30
Big Tea wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 20:27
I think FIA will find a way to bomb it. As much as I like it, will it add to the 'spectacle' of the race? By the start of the European races it will be on every car and will have cost a lot of money for no benefit (as they will all have it)

For a few races Merc will have an advantage, for a few races after these who get it installed quickest will have an advantage over those who do not, but all in all, lots of extra money for no gain and making no difference at all to the game. Ban it once Merc (or anyone else who has it from day one) have had what benefit wil be realistic, but it is worthless to F1
Well...

https://www.racefans.net/2020/02/20/fia ... -be-legal/
With this rationale, every engine upgrade should also be outlawed. Fans can’t see it? So they should be banned from engine upgrades. Likewise, cooling upgrades. Likewise, any battery tomfoolery etc, etc, ad finitum

Steering wheel - steering column - steering rack - track rod - wheel upright

I for one cannot wait to see how they argue that this system, which is also the conventional steering system adopted up & down the pitlane and which remains the basic steering system for the Merc is now a suspension/aero device :D
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

mattiebee99
mattiebee99

I am sure they are testing with DAS and without DAS to get a sense of the lap time advantage. I would imagine that the system would be difficult to use at a track like Monaco. While Monza or Spa would be a huge advantage.

Owen.C93
Owen.C93

Big Tea wrote:

This is very much an additional skill for the drivers. It's added another axis to the steering that the good drivers can micro adjust. Way more interesting and safe than the fiddly switches they have.

TBH I hope it's allowed to continue in the future. And I think Mercedes have been pretty conservative in their initial approach because I'm sure there's scope to go further into moveable aero with it at a later stage.
Motorsport Graduate in search of team experience ;)

Mr.G

Big Tea wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 20:27
I think FIA will find a way to bomb it. As much as I like it, will it add to the 'spectacle' of the race? By the start of the European races it will be on every car and will have cost a lot of money for no benefit (as they will all have it)

For a few races Merc will have an advantage, for a few races after these who get it installed quickest will have an advantage over those who do not, but all in all, lots of extra money for no gain and making no difference at all to the game. Ban it once Merc (or anyone else who has it from day one) have had what benefit wil be realistic, but it is worthless to F1
Exactly - same as f-duct
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

wesley123
wesley123

rohan wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 14:49
The rules are clear - suspension changes can only be made when the car is stationary, so the system is 100% illegal.
So how would they steer then? This system really is no different than steering left or right because it uses the steering rack to change toe.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Chene_Mostert

214270 wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 21:15
Steering wheel - steering column - steering rack - track rod - wheel upright

I for one cannot wait to see how they argue that this system, which is also the conventional steering system adopted up & down the pitlane and which remains the basic steering system for the Merc is now a suspension/aero device :D

Easy, since pulling the steering backwards (outside of normal steering operation) does not steer the car, it changes the "toe angle" of the front wheels, this in turn provides a benefit, outside of the function of steering the car.
pushing /pulling on the steering is a totally separate input from left /right rotation that results in steering.
Same control, two different inputs two different outputs

like i mentioned before, Delta wing planes using ailevons. one steering yoke - ailerons.
pushing and pulling on yoke makes both ailerons move up or down, changing the pitch angle of the plane.
rotating yoke from left to right operates ailerons in differential mode, changing roll angle of plane.
one control, one control surface to different functions.
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

Pyrone89

Jolle wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 16:29
Very cool new system. But, let’s have a moment of silence for RedBull who thought to be clever by moving the steering rack so far back that it’s harder to copy such an innovation 😂
And a moment of silence for all those people wanting a WDC battle for a change instead of the 7th annual trophy collection tour by Mercedes
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Chene_Mostert

wesley123 wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 21:32
rohan wrote:
The rules are clear - suspension changes can only be made when the car is stationary, so the system is 100% illegal.
So how would they steer then? This system really is no different than steering left or right because it uses the steering rack to change toe.
That's where you are wrong. a steering rack is a rack and pinion, rotating the pinion, displaces the rack to one side, this causes one steering arm to pull in, and the other to extend, thus rotating the wheels in the same direction. that's steering.
extending or contracting steering arms in same direction, independent of pinion rotation, causing the wheels to rotate in opposite direction to each other is not steering. that is toe adjustment.

really not that tough to comprehend?
"Science at its best is an open-minded method of inquiry, not a belief system." - Rupert Sheldrake

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

f1rules wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 16:53
merc is just so on top of things :-) insane how dominant they have been and how they continue to push
That grin he had all the way through. He can barely keep a straight face. Outside of the first few days of 2014 testing where they are thinking.... holy lugnuts, this has to have been on of the most fun days in all their tests. They knew this was going to be spotted, they knew everyone would be confused then amazed and they knew 9 other teams would quietly be watching their onboards while thinking bad thoughts about how they missed it.

wesley123
wesley123

Chene_Mostert wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 21:44
wesley123 wrote:
rohan wrote:
That's where you are wrong. a steering rack is a rack and pinion, rotating the pinion, displaces the rack to one side, this causes one steering arm to pull in, and the other to extend, thus rotating the wheels in the same direction. that's steering.
extending or contracting steering arms in same direction, independent of pinion rotation, causing the wheels to rotate in opposite direction to each other is not steering. that is toe adjustment.

Apparently the thing that is difficult to comprehend is that both steering as well as this system are operated by the steering wheel and changing the toe.

That this changes toe opposite to each other is irrelevant.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Unc1eM0nty

He's gloating big time here, trolling the world of F1

Chene_Mostert

wesley123 wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 21:51
Chene_Mostert wrote:
20 Feb 2020, 21:44
wesley123 wrote:

Apparently the thing that is difficult to comprehend is that both steering as well as this system are operated by the steering wheel and changing the toe.

That this changes toe opposite to each other is irrelevant.
I've seen some adapted vehicles that operate accelerator and brake from one control (paddle). but one direction still operates throttle and the other the brakes... two totally different functions. DAA-D (Dual axis acceleration and deceleration.) :shock: