Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Mercedes W11

That nicely shows how the cape is set to generate an outward flowing vortex. Presumably fed toward the leading edge of the floor.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

SiLo

I noticed this other, very small change.
Felipe Baby!

Doesn’t 1.6 cover the actual wheel, which when shod with 13” tyres becomes a significant part of the suspension? Quite separate from the elements upstream which are part of the steering system.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Marble
Marble

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

Vettel about DAS on the Mercedes W11. “I don’t know – it is called a steering wheel, not a push or pull wheel. I don’t know if it works; I guess there is quite a lot of work to bring it to the track and it is probably not as easy as it looks for the driver to (use). But we will see.”

If it's not that easy to use as it looks, then theoretically they can even lose a couple of tenths with it. Which would counteract the potential gains.

Holm86

FIA has apparently been aware of the DAS a long time, this is from the new 2021 technical regulations (edit: which is from october 2019).
So it seems that it would be illegal next year
10.5 Steering
10.5.1 The steering system is the mechanical system, on and part of the sprung mass, that converts
the steering column demand into the outboard suspension position control for the realignment of only the two front wheels (the steered wheels).
10.5.2 The re-alignment of the steered wheels, as defined by the position of the inboard attachment
of the relevant suspensions members that remain a fixed distance from each other, must be
uniquely defined by a monotonic function of the rotational position of a single steering
wheel.

10.5.3 Power assisted steering systems may not be electronically controlled or electrically powered.
No such system may carry out any function other than reduce the physical effort required to
steer the car.
10.5.4 No part of the steering wheel or column, nor any part fitted to them, may be closer to the
driver than a plane formed by the entire rear edge of the steering wheel rim. All parts fixed to
the steering wheel must be fitted in such a way as to minimise the risk of injury in the event
of a driver’s head making contact with any part of the wheel assembly.
10.5.5 The steering wheel, steering column and steering rack assembly must pass an impact test,
details of the test procedure may be found in Article 13.8.
Last edited by Holm86 on 21 Feb 2020, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

pantherxxx wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 13:21
Vettel about DAS on the Mercedes W11. “I don’t know – it is called a steering wheel, not a push or pull wheel. I don’t know if it works; I guess there is quite a lot of work to bring it to the track and it is probably not as easy as it looks for the driver to (use). But we will see.”

If it's not that easy to use as it looks, then theoretically they can even lose a couple of tenths with it. Which would counteract the potential gains.
Vettel is trying to make it sound bad, quite obviously. It's spin/mind games aimed at the FIA as much as anyone.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Holm86 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 13:57
FIA has apparently been aware of the DAS a long time, this is from the new 2021 technical regulations.
10.5 Steering
10.5.1 The steering system is the mechanical system, on and part of the sprung mass, that converts
the steering column demand into the outboard suspension position control for the realignment of only the two front wheels (the steered wheels).
10.5.2 The re-alignment of the steered wheels, as defined by the position of the inboard attachment
of the relevant suspensions members that remain a fixed distance from each other, must be
uniquely defined by a monotonic function of the rotational position of a single steering
wheel.

10.5.3 Power assisted steering systems may not be electronically controlled or electrically powered.
No such system may carry out any function other than reduce the physical effort required to
steer the car.
10.5.4 No part of the steering wheel or column, nor any part fitted to them, may be closer to the
driver than a plane formed by the entire rear edge of the steering wheel rim. All parts fixed to
the steering wheel must be fitted in such a way as to minimise the risk of injury in the event
10.5.5 The steering wheel, steering column and steering rack assembly must pass an impact test,
Perhaps the FIA are allowing it this year in order to get everyone hot under the collar about it and thus it's easier to police such things in the new regs.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 14:04
Holm86 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 13:57
FIA has apparently been aware of the DAS a long time, this is from the new 2021 technical regulations.
10.5 Steering
wheel.

steer the car.
Perhaps the FIA are allowing it this year in order to get everyone hot under the collar about it and thus it's easier to police such things in the new regs.
They aren't "allowing it", it's already legal under the current regs, all they did was decide to ban it from 2021. Incredibly clever from Mercedes really, now anyone considering developing the system will have to do so knowing it will need to go in the bin next year. This also rules out any chance of it being banned this year, the FIA have pretty much endorsed it under this years regs by explictly banning it next year.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Diesel wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 14:54

They aren't "allowing it", it's already legal under the current regs, all they did was decide to ban it from 2021. Incredibly clever from Mercedes really, now anyone considering developing the system will have to do so knowing it will need to go in the bin next year. This also rules out any chance of it being banned this year, the FIA have pretty much endorsed it under this years regs by explictly banning it next year.
You've put it better than I did, but's what I meant to say. =D>

zirouk
zirouk

The system being covered off by the 2021 regulations is the perfect situation for Mercedes -- with no future for the system after 2020 and developing in season is likely to incur costly changes to crash structures (time for crash testing etc) to copy it (especially since the other teams haven't designed anything else on the car around the system), teams are disincentivised to chase it, giving Mercedes a good chance of running it unrivaled all season.

But I'm sure one or two teams might try, but I would be suprised if the majority of teams end up pursuing the system.

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Here's a little demonstration of potentially how it works (from reddit):

Original post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... es_did_it/

PlatinumZealot

bidong wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 09:32
Can someone tell me how the DAS system won't be banned considering that these are in the 2020 Technical Regulations?

1.6 Complete wheel : Wheel and inflated tyre. The complete wheel is considered part of the suspension system.

10.1.2 Any suspension system fitted to the front wheels must be so arranged that its responseresults only from changes in load applied to the front wheels.

10.2.2 Any powered device which is capable of altering the configuration or affecting the performance of any part of any suspension system is forbidden.

10.2.3 No adjustment may be made to any suspension system while the car is in motion.

I'm all for innovation but the DAS system doesn't adhere to 1.6 and 10.2.3 in full concept. Regarding 10.1.2 and 10.2.2 you can find ways to spin it but for the first and last articles... it's a straight up violation.
Newey said is is about the letter of the rules. Basically suspension is in a different chapter from steering! So as long as what you do to the steering complies with what it says in the chapter on steering you are good to go.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 15:22
bidong wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 09:32
Can someone tell me how the DAS system won't be banned considering that these are in the 2020 Technical Regulations?

1.6 Complete wheel : Wheel and inflated tyre. The complete wheel is considered part of the suspension system.

10.1.2 Any suspension system fitted to the front wheels must be so arranged that its responseresults only from changes in load applied to the front wheels.

10.2.2 Any powered device which is capable of altering the configuration or affecting the performance of any part of any suspension system is forbidden.

10.2.3 No adjustment may be made to any suspension system while the car is in motion.

I'm all for innovation but the DAS system doesn't adhere to 1.6 and 10.2.3 in full concept. Regarding 10.1.2 and 10.2.2 you can find ways to spin it but for the first and last articles... it's a straight up violation.
Newey said is is about the letter of the rules. Basically suspension is in a different chapter from steering! So as long as what you do to the steering complies with what it says in the chapter on steering you are good to go.
It's categorically not a suspension change, adjusting the toe doesn't affect the suspension, it's about changing the direction the wheels are pointing. In very simplistic terms, suspension is up and down, steering is left and right.