Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
OO7
OO7

Re: Mercedes W11

Mercedes M11 EQ Performance power unit in the Willams:

Morteza

Via AMuS
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

michl420
michl420

TimmTurbo wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 17:45
Is this really just for DAS system. My opinion is that this oval thing changes height of the car when cornering. It is present on most cars nowdays.
[/quote]

Maybe you’re right any comparison pictures from 2019 would give us an idea of the differences in packaging
[/quote]
I have seen this before, but don't know what car it was. I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with DAS.

subcritical71

Polite wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 16:49
pantherxxx wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 16:02
PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 15:30
Yes. But note what I said.
The rulesare in black and white. Steering in on chapter. Suspension in another.

This is how Mercedes could not be touched this year.
But it can be argued that it's not steering.
and also.. tech rules define wheels as part of the suspension system :wink:
so 2 chapters but wheels are described in both
But the 10.2.x chapter is for the sprung suspension, which the wheel is not part of.

PhillipM
PhillipM

Probably just a carden joint, often used on the ends of the steering arms to get enough angle change. The internal joint handles the horizontal rotation and the oval outer cage is for vertical rotation as the suspension cycles. Don't think that's anything to do with DAS at all.

Polite
Polite

subcritical71 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 18:01
Polite wrote:
pantherxxx wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 16:02

But it can be argued that it's not steering.
But the 10.2.x chapter is for the sprung suspension, which the wheel is not part of.
1.6 of 2019 tech regulation:
"Complete wheel :
Wheel and inflated tyre. The complete wheel is considered part of the suspension system." 8)

sprung suspension regulation are to avoid fric or interconnection between axes

zac510
zac510

Seems like the best option would be to ask Mercedes to remove it out of goodwill for the sport. They've done that kind of thing before (helping Honda with the engine comes to mind), so they might again.

pierrre
pierrre

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 05:21
pierrre wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 04:10
here is some idea of why, maybe, they are calling it dual axis...a split rack possibly?

I like your way of thinking. You have gone much further than me on this concept!
It is not easy to think with gears! Very good.

You can use the VANOS sliding helical gears with a sleeve gear. To finish your concept.
The sleeve gears goes to the racks.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/NeighboringJe ... ricted.gif
'helical' been looking for that one..that would work much better

PhillipM
PhillipM

That rack thing makes absolutely no sense. How are you going to change the pitch when both gears need to mesh with the same racks, and even if you had offset teeth on each one, it'd never mesh cleanly, you'd have to wiggle the steering to get it into mesh every time you switched, and you'd need a gap between gears meshing so there'd be a spot in the middle where your steering would be pulled one direction.

SiLo

PhillipM wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 18:35
That rack thing makes absolutely no sense. How are you going to change the pitch when both gears need to mesh with the same racks, and even if you had offset teeth on each one, it'd never mesh cleanly, you'd have to wiggle the steering to get it into mesh every time you switched, and you'd need a gap between gears meshing so there'd be a spot in the middle where your steering would be pulled one direction.
I get the feeling they are connected with a ball joint and they move the entire rack? This way lateral movement into the track rod is maintained, but it will also translate longitudinal movement into lateral movement as well.
Felipe Baby!

subcritical71

Polite wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 18:12
subcritical71 wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 18:01
Polite wrote:

1.6 of 2019 tech regulation:
"Complete wheel :
Wheel and inflated tyre. The complete wheel is considered part of the suspension system." 8)

sprung suspension regulation are to avoid fric or interconnection between axes
My mistake, it is 10.1 where sprung suspension is mentioned -> does not apply to the wheel assembly.

izzy
izzy

So now, FIA and apparently the teams have accepted it. It's a runner, only for this year but they can keep it.

Well it seems to me that normally the toe-in/out is a compromise, between corners and straights, and now they don't need to compromise do they? Not as much anyway. So they can make it more extreme and have DAS make a bigger adjustment. And doesn't it also adjust camber? Same thing then

So if that's correct then next week they'll try DAS 2.0 and it's going to get even more beastly :mrgreen:

PhillipM
PhillipM

Whilst I can see the steering wheel movement fore-aft being banned next year, the actual effect doesn't appear to be - if you tie your moving rack into a cam and a pair of angled spur gears you could still shift the rack back using just the rotational movement of the steering wheel.
Albeit you'd have every time the wheel went through the straight-ahead position so it might be a bit tricky on switchbacks and for driver feel.

CADjocky

DAS - Dual Axis Steering.
Great work from Mercedes with this system. I will be intrigued to know how it performs over the season and find out whether its for aero or tyre life.

However, I'm surprised the team has called it 'Dual Axis Steering'. Teams normally use correct engineering terms for things like this. The so called 'Heave' spring used in the suspension controls the cars translation vertically in the z-axis. This movement is known as heave.

Anyway the DAS only works on a single axis but it has two degrees of freedom - rotation & translation motion. A better name for it would be DMS - Dual Motion Steering. I can only assume the marketing department have got involved and went for DAS. I wonder if someone suggested calling it RATS - Rotate And Translation Steering. :D

Sierra117

If we go by Brawn's advice many years ago about focusing on the wrong end; what if the DAS has a hidden effect on the *rear* suspension? We've only been looking at the front where the effect of any benefit seems to be negligible. If so, even more genius!
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir