McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Re: McLaren MCL35

I like how clear the rear floor area is. (Eg coke bottle section). Air really does have a clear path through. Very clean

cyclon

Rake is a bit high again ...
Hopefully front wing updates will help lowering a bit.
I loved the iconic McLaren-Honda
But most of all i love McLaren . After all first contact made with M23 that had a Ford Cosworth PU

f1rules
f1rules

diffuser

cyclon wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 13:43
Rake is a bit high again ...
Hopefully front wing updates will help lowering a bit.
You don't want the rake lowered. If they lower the rake, they're likely failing at sealing the floor. It's easier to seal the floor at a lower rake.

The whole idea of the rake is like having an adjustable rear wing. The rear suspension tension is setup to keep the hight at the speeds that they take the high speed corners in. Then squat in the straights where you don't need the DF. As the car squats the rear wing angle leans back and drag is reduced.

diffuser

When I look at theses pictures. I get the impression that we don't have a S duct there cause we have a rudder underneath the nose. Plus that cape. The cape is pushing down the air worked bythe nosterils and the air coming around the nose is guded by the nose rudder. It isn't really dirty. So why would we need an S Duct? For the boundary layer over the top 30 cm in front of the cockpit ?

Be interesting to have a flowvis of the nose to compare to this ...

charliesmithhd

That burn mark on the sidepod has grown since yesterday

diffuser

charliesmithhd wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 16:37
That burn mark on the sidepod has grown since yesterday
Doesn't matter, that why they test. They might have to change something OR maybe they already had an idea and had changes onthe way ... Or they'll just paint it black ...

mclaren111

Black spot....

BrunoH
BrunoH

yeah maybe why they are not unlocking performance... its the last day of the first 3day test,
they should check were they are with performance...
unless they cant turn it up because they have hot spots like that and they need to fix that to test 2 before going after performance...

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

BrunoH wrote:yeah maybe why they are not unlocking performance... its the last day of the first 3day test,
they should check were they are with performance...
unless they cant turn it up because they have hot spots like that and they need to fix that to test 2 before going after performance...
They don’t have to go into performance in the first week of testing... It just depends on their run plan and it can easily not include performance runs at all... And that wouldn’t mean that there is a problem with the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrunoH
BrunoH

yeah but they are running little and slow this afternoon... hence why i think they have some issue they are trying to sort out

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

mclaren111

Different POU's....

mclaren111

Nice angle...