Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Big Tea

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

They (anyone) can not make laws or rules retrospective. I expect that had Ferrari been in actual breach of the rule it would have been called out, but if they used 'weasel words' (and good luck to them) to get an illegal result without actually crossing the boundary, due to FIA not being clear enough with the wording, then the result has to be 'right, you win, but stop doing it from this date on'.

All teams at all times are looking to circumvent the wording of rules, there is no such thing as 'the spirit of the rule' except in high court, where The mischief of the law is examined, then re written if it is not tight enough
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Giblet
Giblet

Xwang wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 19:13
Also Mercedes was guilty of private illegal tyre testing, and the punishment was ridiculous (if we can consider that a punishment).
I think it is a struggle to claim the two are at all similar. The FIA had given qualified approval. Yes Mercedes though they were getting an advantage and planned on exploiting it, they didn't (AFAWK) purposefully design a system to cheat the intent of the rules.

Reminds me of when I was kid, jumping up and down on the sofa. Mom says "If I catch you doing that again you'll be in trouble" to which I responded "what if you don't catch me?"

Obviously she shut down that logic pretty fast. Wrong is wrong, and Ferrari under Binotto seems to have no trouble choosing to cheat.

One is a quick decision to take an advantage, the other is a large scale engineering effort based on cheating.

They are not the same scale at all.
Last edited by Giblet on 28 Feb 2020, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

MtthsMlw

If it was the sensor stuff couldn't they just have stopped doing it? Just program it differently.
I think the engine overhaul isn't necessary related to the clampdown.

toraabe
toraabe

Giblet wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 19:39
Gross.

This isn't an engineer deciding something, this is a deep team effort in cheating.

Ferrari also owe Max an apology IMO.
And loosing all the constructor points until Austin. Cheating is cheating no matter what. Binottos reaction of Verstappen statement proves that the dutchman was right.

Xwang
Xwang

Giblet wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 21:15
Xwang wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 19:13
Also Mercedes was guilty of private illegal tyre testing, and the punishment was ridiculous (if we can consider that a punishment).
I think it is a struggle to claim the two are at all similar. The FIA had given qualified approval. Yes Mercedes though they were getting an advantage and planned on exploiting it, they didn't (AFAWK) purposefully design a system to cheat the intent of the rules.

Reminds me of when I was kid, jumping up and down on the sofa. Mom says "If I catch you doing that again you'll be in trouble" to which I responded "what if you don't catch me?"

Obviously she shut down that logic pretty fast. Wrong is wrong, and Ferrari under Binotto seems to have no trouble choosing to cheat.

One is a quick decision to take an advantage, the other is a large scale engineering effort based on cheating.

They are not the same scale at all.
Maybe you are not considering that the FIA HAS NEVER SAID THAT THE FERRARI ENGINE WAS ILLEGAL. NEITHER TODAY! OTHERWISE THEY WOULD HAVE TOLD.

Giblet
Giblet

Why are you yelling?

It's not a great method to get people to listen to what you have to say.

Lay of the caps, chap. Be a reasonable person if you want a reasonable response.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Giblet
Giblet

toraabe wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 21:22
Giblet wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 19:39
Gross.

This isn't an engineer deciding something, this is a deep team effort in cheating.

Ferrari also owe Max an apology IMO.
And loosing all the constructor points until Austin. Cheating is cheating no matter what. Binottos reaction of Verstappen statement proves that the dutchman was right.
I see them entirely differnt incidents with entirely different levels of effort, because they were.

You don't get to say "all cheating same" or NO f1 team would ever win.

All teams push the boundaries, but Ferrari is not pushing reasonable ones.

> Binottos reaction of Verstappen statement proves that the dutchman was right.

yep :)

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

I dont belive in this at all. It takes at least 1-2 years to develop and test new PU. All this article is about 2019 PU and 2020 PU is different due to SF1000 tight rear and improved aero. In testing Vettel did reach 329 km/h and Alfa and Hass have no problem with top speed.

supermarine
supermarine

Tricking a sensor is a just about the lowest form of 'loophole finding' there is. I mean suppose a team found a way to trick the timing sensors so that they were always on pole...

LM10
LM10

MtthsMlw wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 21:15
If it was the sensor stuff couldn't they just have stopped doing it? Just program it differently.
I think the engine overhaul isn't necessary related to the clampdown.
Of course they could have. I don’t know where AMuS pulls these claims out from. Where have they been until now with such a prominent claim that Ferrari’s engine clampdown basically was to operate it legally?
Only sensor cheating has always been the supposed source of cheating and this is really easy to stop doing.

The same people who told that Ferrari’s power decreased because they stopped circumventing the sensor last season now tell that Ferrari needed a completely new engine to be within the rules. No sense whatsoever.

Also, Ferrari’s supposedly needed engine clampdown would mean that they had purposely built an engine which in it’s pure concept was built with cheating in mind.

Mr.G

I would wait till a few races...

From the wording it can be both good or bad and ofcourse everyone see in it what he wants to see...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

OO7
OO7

Big Tea wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 20:09
They (anyone) can not make laws or rules retrospective. I expect that had Ferrari been in actual breach of the rule it would have been called out, but if they used 'weasel words' (and good luck to them) to get an illegal result without actually crossing the boundary, due to FIA not being clear enough with the wording, then the result has to be 'right, you win, but stop doing it from this date on'.
But the result is more than "Stop doing it from this date on.", Ferrari are being punished to some degree.

Mr.G

OO7 wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 22:32
Big Tea wrote:
28 Feb 2020, 20:09
But the result is more than "Stop doing it from this date on.", Ferrari are being punished to some degree.
Where is any wording about punishment?
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

turbof1

Ok,

It would be wrong of me not to say anything after all the preaching last year regarding keeping away from accusations.

I personally have difficulties coming to terms with this. I don't even know why the FIA brought it out like that; they should have known that that message could only lead to massive speculation, reputation damage to them and ferrari (justified or not) and even damage to the sport's integrity (again justified or not).

So I'm not going to bother with all the implications. I'm also going to ask in a very understanding way, again, to you guys to not hurl accusations of cheating, just like that. I know there's now a reasonable argument to do that. However, it will still not contribute to this thread. So please, discuss the hardware and where you might think Ferrari went illegal or in a grey area of the rules. I think that is much more intrigueing disccussions altogether.

Just a thought. Again, I myself am baffled by this. And I honestly hope, call it naivity if you want, that this is nothing more than a clumsy press release from the FIA. Because frankly speaking, the implications otherwise would be a reason to consider not viewing the sport anymore for me personally.
#AeroFrodo