Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
dans79

Re: Mercedes W11

Maplesoup wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 19:13
It's actually a very good arguement, changing the toe angle will change the ride height of the car moving all the aero parts on the car almost like active suspension.
You are going to have to explain this, because I've never seen toe angle effect ride height, not in isolation anyway. Camber can change it by a minuscule amount, but even that would require a camber angle change that no team, would be willing to make, because of the negative side effects associated with it.

Maplesoup wrote:
The drivers head and the wheels aren't aero devices thus don't matter if they are moving.
Neither are the wheels, but those can be turned at will by the driver at at point.
201 105 104 9 9 7

dren

dans79 wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 19:19
Maplesoup wrote:
It's actually a very good arguement, changing the toe angle will change the ride height of the car moving all the aero parts on the car almost like active suspension.
You are going to have to explain this, because I've never seen toe angle effect ride height, not in isolation anyway. Camber can change it by a minuscule amount, but even that would require a camber angle change that no team, would be willing to make, because of the negative side effects associated with it.

Maplesoup wrote:
The drivers head and the wheels aren't aero devices thus don't matter if they are moving.
Neither are the wheels, but those can be turned at will by the driver at at point.
Based on where the push rod is attached to the hub, the front of the Mercedes lowers when turning into corners. Adjusting the toe with the steering wheel moving in and out should also slightly change the ride height.
Honda!

dans79

dren wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 19:29
Based on where the push rod is attached to the hub, the front of the Mercedes lowers when turning into corners. Adjusting the toe with the steering wheel moving in and out should also slightly change the ride height.
That's an assumption we can't validate yet, hence the reason I said toe in isolation doesn't effect ride height.

I'd personally assume tMercedes would make sure that doesn't happen, because its such an obvious thing for other teams to protest, and is pretty clearly against the rules.
201 105 104 9 9 7

dren

dans79 wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 19:38
dren wrote:
That's an assumption we can't validate yet, hence the reason I said toe in isolation doesn't effect ride height.

I'd personally assume tMercedes would make sure that doesn't happen, because its such an obvious thing for other teams to protest, and is pretty clearly against the rules.
It's not an assumption. Look at the geometry of the front suspension. There are videos and discussion on it on this forum. They had the same thing last year sans the DAS part.
Honda!

Racer X

If its changing the ride height during corners the teams will protest by the end of free practice after they have had a chance to see the Mercedes.

I assume the FIA will have protests/and enough time to decide before qualifying. Mercedes better be ready with a fix or better fix things before this* saturday because other teams wont let them cheat. That way they have time to paint a Force India silver again.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

De Jokke

Who says they are cheating?
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

dans79

dren wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 19:41
dans79 wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 19:38
dren wrote:

It's not an assumption. Look at the geometry of the front suspension. There are videos and discussion on it on this forum. They had the same thing last year sans the DAS part.
No one here knows for sure how DAS works at a technical level, only at a conceptual level.

Even Craig Scarborough (a member here) who knows a lot more than most of us, doesn't specifically state how DAS works.
https://motorsport.tech/formula-1/das-r ... -advantage
201 105 104 9 9 7

dans79

De Jokke wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 19:48
By definition they would have to use it in qualifying or a race before they could be considered to be cheating.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Racer X

De Jokke wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 19:48
Playing with a grey area withing the rules. Im just saying they hopefully can make sure its NOT breaking the rules enough so that its legal. Does that make you happy if i dont use the C word. All im saying is i hope they are legal by the start of Quali because if they are not the other teams will protest we all know this.

EDIT** im just saying i hope its legal if they use it in a RACE/Or QUALI.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Big Tea

dans79 wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 19:14
Big Tea wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 19:04
When the tyre manufacturer requests a change in operating pressure, would this not have an effect on tyre profile and wall flexibility which would have a similar effect to those mentioned?
If it has been accepted, can they change it now?
I believe you are thinking of camber, not toe!
Indeed, but is it bot the same thing rotated 90 degrees?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dans79

Big Tea wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 19:59
dans79 wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 19:14
Big Tea wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 19:04
When the tyre manufacturer requests a change in operating pressure, would this not have an effect on tyre profile and wall flexibility which would have a similar effect to those mentioned?
If it has been accepted, can they change it now?
I believe you are thinking of camber, not toe!
Indeed, but is it bot the same thing rotated 90 degrees?
Not exactly.
201 105 104 9 9 7

subcritical71

To avoid a possible post race penalty, could Merc ask one of its customer teams file a protest with the expected arguments from RBR and get it clarified before Quali?

dans79

subcritical71 wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 20:55
To avoid a possible post race penalty, could Merc ask one of its customer teams file a protest with the expected arguments from RBR and get it clarified before Quali?
I'm not sure to what extent the car has to be "legal" during practice, or if you can protest on safety grounds.
201 105 104 9 9 7

henry

If they don’t run DAS in qualifying it would weaken the argument that there is an aero benefit. I don’t think they used it on their fast laps in testing but then again I didn’t watch every lap.

If the do run DAS in the race and their overall stint tyre performance is better than the opposition it would reinforce the case that it’s a tyre performance not aero.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Sevach
Sevach

dans79 wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 19:19
Maplesoup wrote:
We never had a device that could alter the camber and return to original settings in time for the corners... but that's besides the point.

You are right in principle, but... Scarbs was theorizing that DAS interacting with POU could lift the front end on the straights.