[ 2020 ] Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
humble sabot

Re: [ 2020 ] Williams F1 Team - Mercedes

Since they have their fingers in pies outside of F1, I could see them making a tactical retreat in 2020, avoiding millions of dollars in touring costs to focus on the next real season. Claire is pretty proud, but she ate one bitter humble pie after another all last year, so I expect she's doing a lot of thinking between zoom meetings right now
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Peter1919
Peter1919

I just can't see how Williams will ever pay this loan back, they have been losing money for years and just had to sell their profitable advanced engineering business. Even when they came 3rd and 4th in the Championship they still only made small profits, not enough to pay off this debt. I think they have basically just bet the house on the budget cap enabling them to compete and make money.

bill shoe
bill shoe

Yes, agree. But this was the only way forward so this is what's happening.

Sevach
Sevach

Simon Roberts is Williams new hire.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

I must say, i think that is the best news i've heard @ Williams in ages!
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

McG

bdr529 wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 13:57
Manoah2u wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 08:43
bill shoe wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 00:26
I just bought an official 2020 Polo shirt online. Yea, not a big deal but it makes me feel better and a little help for the team is better than none.
unless you've paid a million bucks for a shirt, it won't make any difference.
Certainly not with that attitude
Don't worry every year this guy hops on the Williams won't make it bandwagon.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

McG wrote:
13 May 2020, 03:20
bdr529 wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 13:57
Manoah2u wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 08:43

unless you've paid a million bucks for a shirt, it won't make any difference.
Certainly not with that attitude
Don't worry every year this guy hops on the Williams won't make it bandwagon.
Hasn't have anything to do with it. With all do respect, but a shirt of a couple of bucks is not going to save the team, and though I honestly understand the feeling and respect the support, it would be even sadder if selling shirts actually saves the team from drowning.

I still see people can't get it over their head that being openly critical does not equal 'won't make it'.
I do admit very well that, at the start of last season, i had zero belief Williams would manage to make the end, they managed, so well, actually, great. Regarding recent news articles about teams in danger and William's state, i very much wondered again whether they survive, but the news article they have now a new head is absolutely great and shows they're not actually about to tip over.

That does not mean however that I expect anything positive to happen this year performancewise.
I also am nog ignorant for the way Williams operates nowadays, and is a far cry from the team I so much loved back in the day. The Piquet era, the Mansell era, the heartbreak moment with Ayrton, then glory with Hill (I think the 1996 Williams also looks fantastic) and Villeneuve, and then later on with Montoya.
And I've been vocal about it before, and I maintain my point, even though people are wayyyyyy toooo ignorant too and accusive of jumping on the rediculous feminsm bandwagon on my critizism on Claire.
I still hope we will see Claire get the full boot, and see Williams get run by a proper leader.

It's unfortunate people get blinded by their black and white way of looking at things, and then even through a box with a small hole in it.

Truth is though, Williams is a team that has the best engine in F1, the Mercedes, and still is plum last. They were right behind Mercedes at the start of the V6T era because of this grand engine, and where are they now.
It's not because they didn't get any chances or didn't get any luck, or too little money. It's complete and utter mismanagement. I'll repeat once again though. I hope nothing else but that this team gets back on their feet and becomes a glory team again. And the ONLY real good announcement i've heard recently is Simon' appointment as Management Director. I don't expect wonders, I don't think he's going to miraculously turn the team upside down, but It is good news.

Let's now hope that he is able to get people in the right direction, sweep through the team here and there, and use what's left of 2020 AND 2021 to prepare for a far better car for 2022's new rules. It's sad that they're going to be left with another year of backmarking in 2021 as they're forced to use the current design, but they have all the more time now to invest in 2022.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Mr Brooksy

I find it infuriating that when Williams mortgaged the factory and it's historic cars to Latifi Snr for something like 60 or 90 million (can't remember exactly) everyonee on many forums went into 'Williams is dead', 'Williams is selling to Latifi' blah blah. But now that Renault are getting a 5 billion dollar bail out from the French Gov and McLaren are mortgaging the same as Williams at well over twice the $ debt, its all 'oh we might lose Renault, it'd be such a shame', and, 'McLaren are doing this to remain in the sport' as if it's a great stroke of management!

Geez I get freaking sick of the anti Williams sentiment around since Williams down turn in the mid 2000s!

Yes we are struggling, yes we are a shadow of what we used to be, but seriously! Williams is still here and still fighting! And for that, I'm freaking proud that they haven't gone the way of Brabham, Tyrrell, Arrows, Minardi, Cooper, Lotus etc.

Had to be said.
WilliamsF1 fan since 1989

humble sabot

Considering how long Frank has had his name on the team and has been with it the whole time, wouldn't it be frikin weird if the same thing as happened to Lotus happened here? Remember two different teams running the Lotus name the same season? Neither actually being a direct continuation of the original, plus a decades long gap. What a bizarro mess that was.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

ScrewCaptain27

ROKiT is gone. No longer listed on the website among the partners, no longer in the team’s name on any social media.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

F1NAC

They have terminated the sponsorship

Wouter

Williams considering selling Formula 1 team

Williams is considering a partial or even full sale of the Formula 1 team as part of a new strategic direction aimed at securing its future.

On the back of increased financial pressures caused by the coronavirus pandemic, the Grove-based outfit said on Friday that one option it is looking at is a sale – with it beginning a process to look for interested parties.

A statement from the team said: “The WGPH board is undertaking a review of all the various strategic options available to the Company. Options being considered include, but are not limited to, raising new capital for the business, a divestment of a minority stake in WGPH, or a divestment of a majority stake in WGPH including a potential sale of the whole Company.

“Whilst no decisions have been made regarding the optimal outcome yet, to facilitate discussions with interested parties, the Company announces the commencement of a "formal sale process.”

Williams has appointed joint financial advisers to assist in its review and find parties who could be interested in investment or a takeover.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/will ... m/4798066/

The Power of Dreams!

Sevach
Sevach

God damn, sad day for f1 and sports in general.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Hardly surprising but if it helps them to keep racing then fingers crossed for them.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

coaster

Title sponsor gone, layoffs from corona virus, i still remember Mansell at Adelaide conking out of fuel in qualifying, camel cigarette sponsor / renault v10 / newey car 1992?
Thanks for the memories Frank.