McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: McLaren MCL35

Mclaren are already shipping more parts out today, they're on the ball, or they've sped things up since next years cars got pushed back and are going all out on this one ready for the Merc swap.

Emag
Emag

PhillipM wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 14:45
Mclaren are already shipping more parts out today, they're on the ball, or they've sped things up since next years cars got pushed back and are going all out on this one ready for the Merc swap.
Interesting. Do you by any chance know if the shipped parts are just spares for the race or new additions ready to be tested?

PhillipM
PhillipM

I don't think anything got damaged bar a few bits of the bargeboards last weekend - they could be parts for those I guess but I'd be amazed if that needed a couple of cars.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

PhillipM wrote:I don't think anything got damaged bar a few bits of the bargeboards last weekend - they could be parts for those I guess but I'd be amazed if that needed a couple of cars.
They did mentioned that they “destroyed” 3 front wings between Friday / Saturday... Although, those were probably repaired at the track this week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diffuser

f1rules wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 07:53
where did i call the rb slow? i just said i think its more difficult to master their short car high rake concept, then the longer limo layout of merc, mclaren increased also the length, even admiting, i think it was for aero purpose. But yes, it seem rb maybe just didnt get their car dialed in, we will se soon
"Judging by the w11 and rpw10 its also the right way to go. Gives a more stable platform, with more df."

"Right way to go" making the assumption that the cars are longer to be more stable. All the cars can attibute part of that growth to the change in regulations that they could carry more fuel.

One of the "twitchest" cars out there, Alpha, happens to be the 2nd longest.

If you look at this picture from the beginning of the year ...

Last years car was 568 cm long and cover rougly 40 boxes. So each box is about 14 cm long. 2020 looks about a 1/4 of a box longer or 3.35CM. Where is was 568cm in 2019 it's now 572cm. That puts it very close to the Merc Length but closer to Torro Rosso length. The wheel base got 1/3 of a box longer so 4.666 cm longer(from 365 to 369.5cms). Again, earily close to STR 2019 car dimensions.

Wonder if that has anything to do with Keys :)

I just thought you made a generalization in a sport where details means everything. Increased stability is something everyone searchs for. It can be obtained in many ways. I beleive that each car that has gotten longer, has likely done so for a different reasons.

It isn't , lets make the car longer, it will increase the stability. Rather, and I'm just making this up, "let make this diffuser change it will give us more DF. Oh but we can't fit it in the way we have it now, we need to move this and that, we need to make this longer ..."

With RBR, I beleive they've been able to get where they wanted to go and still incorporate into a smaller frame

And if I misunderstood your post...sorry for that...

f1rules
f1rules

great post, yeah i probably didnt express myself correctly, i think for mclaren it was the right way to go, they had a healthy basis, with flow structures well in place, and they lenghthened the car to get more df. Offcourse no car will be stable if the flow is disturbed or not in place, amus just posted a story on redbull, very informative if their info is correct, but aparently rb was suffering a bit from stall because parts flexed under load and for that they had to run a bit more wing to compensate and for to give the drivers confidence in the car, result losing time on straights
But with mclaren going merc, im sure its the right choice going longer.
EDIT
Now what will be interesting is, with the new floor rules for next year, will that give an advantage to either concept short or long

Macklaren
Macklaren

No updates on the car today? Slightly bummed...Ferrari and RBR have biggish changes

Racer X

PhillipM wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 14:45
Good this years package is worth 2 seasons im glad they are investing specially given their unique chassis situation with the engine swap its well worth the time and effot.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Macklaren wrote:No updates on the car today? Slightly bummed...Ferrari and RBR have biggish changes
The time stated that no major updates for the car were planned until Silverstone, so not surprising that there isn’t anything showing up for this second race in Austria.

But, parts can still show up tomorrow in the morning and be used in FP1 and FP2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

From @NicolasF1i

the EDGE
the EDGE

SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 20:51
Macklaren wrote:No updates on the car today? Slightly bummed...Ferrari and RBR have biggish changes
The time stated that no major updates for the car were planned until Silverstone, so not surprising that there isn’t anything showing up for this second race in Austria.

But, parts can still show up tomorrow in the morning and be used in FP1 and FP2

There’s been so many rule changes that I couldn’t possibly keep up with them all, wasn’t there a new rule introduced saying any new parts had to arrive at the track by a certain date? If so was that the Thursday or the Friday?

genarro
genarro

did anybody see anything new on the car today?

M840TR
M840TR

New engine cover. Mcl33 style winglets.

f1rules
f1rules

im not sure if this is the new

M840TR
M840TR

f1rules wrote:
10 Jul 2020, 12:13
im not sure if this is the new
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EcjnQXPXsAA ... name=large
O my bad then. I don't remember them racing with it though.