[ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ringleheim
Ringleheim

Re: Ferrari SF1000

JordanMugen wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 17:15
AngelicPrincess wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 12:49
EDIT: Furthermore, if we were to assume that the PUs produce around 1000 BHP then the Ferrari PU is lacking around 60 HP which doesn't seem unreasonable.
=D> =D> =D>

Thank you for such a great analysis!

AMG.Tzan wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 00:26
they seem to be last in terms of HP as things stand in straight line speed measurements! They have to get their act together...
There are no silver bullets in power unit development, it will require steady gains that do not compromise reliability. :wink:

It seems Ferrari had concentrated on power unit developments which are no longer permitted, so it will take some time to catch back up to Renault, Honda and Mercedes.

fritticaldi wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 16:51
The Ferrari is flawed in the following areas: Engine, Chassis and Aero. Basically the entire technical staff should get fired.
Fired and replaced with whom? :roll: That will not achieve anything. There are plenty of talented engineers in these departments, it would be most unwise to let go of them. Firing people is the Ferrari way, but it is not productive. You need stability to achieve good results.
Ah yes, the fan calling for stability within the team. As if stability by itself generates a winning car.

There is no point in keeping the same people around if they are incapable.

Back when Ferrari cleansed itself of the likes of Stefano Domenicalli, Pat Frye, Nikolas Tomazis, and others, they immediately started to see improvements.

And do you know where those key technical people went to after Ferrari? No where. After a year or 2 off, Frye joined one of the teams at the back of the field.

If they were all still working at Ferrari, Ferrari would be in even worse shape than they are now.

F1 nowadays is about 90% car, maybe 10% driver. If that.

It's going to take an ungodly amount of talent and organization to unseat the Mercedes juggernaut at this point in F1 history.

We're right back to where we are in the '30s before the War, and to a slightly lesser extent in the '50s...with Mercedes being unbeatable.

And you want to keep the same people in charge at Maranello.

:wtf:

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

Ringleheim wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 20:03
JordanMugen wrote:
AngelicPrincess wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 12:49
EDIT: Furthermore, if we were to assume that the PUs produce around 1000 BHP then the Ferrari PU is lacking around 60 HP which doesn't seem unreasonable.
=D> =D> =D>

AMG.Tzan wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 00:26
they seem to be last in terms of HP as things stand in straight line speed measurements! They have to get their act together...
There are no silver bullets in power unit development, it will require steady gains that do not compromise reliability. :wink:

It seems Ferrari had concentrated on power unit developments which are no longer permitted, so it will take some time to catch back up to Renault, Honda and Mercedes.

fritticaldi wrote:
The Ferrari is flawed in the following areas: Engine, Chassis and Aero. Basically the entire technical staff should get fired.
Fired and replaced with whom? :roll: That will not achieve anything. There are plenty of talented engineers in these departments, it would be most unwise to let go of them. Firing people is the Ferrari way, but it is not productive. You need stability to achieve good results.
Ah yes, the fan calling for stability within the team. As if stability by itself generates a winning car.

Back when Ferrari cleansed itself of the likes of Stefano Domenicalli, Pat Frye, Nikolas Tombazis, and others, they immediately started to see improvements.

And do you know where those key technical people went to after Ferrari? No where. After a year or 2 off, Frye joined one of the teams at the back of the field.

If they were all still working at Ferrari, Ferrari would be in even worse shape than they are now.

It's going to take an ungodly amount of talent and organization to unseat the Mercedes juggernaut at this point in F1 history.

We're right back to where we are in the '30s before the War, and to a slightly lesser extent in the '50s...with Mercedes being unbeatable.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

Ringleheim wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 20:04
Ringleheim wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 20:03
JordanMugen wrote:

=D> =D> =D>

Back when Ferrari cleansed itself of the likes of Stefano Domenicalli, Pat Frye, Nikolas Tombazis, and others, they immediately started to see improvements.

And do you know where those key technical people went to after Ferrari? Nowhere. After a year or 2 off, Frye joined one of the teams at the back of the field.

We're right back to where we were in the '30s before the War, and to a slightly lesser extent in the '50s...with Mercedes being unbeatable.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

Three times the charm? :)
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Big Tea

Manoah2u wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 22:23
Three times the charm? :)
First time I have seen 3 posts in agreement too :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle
Jolle

Reposting your own post is the new shouting I think...

PlatinumZealot

fritticaldi wrote:
They made quite the machine in 2017 and 2018. That's a better strike rate than RedBull. Talented people. They just need a bit better management.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

dans79

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 00:15
fritticaldi wrote:
They made quite the machine in 2017 and 2018. That's a better strike rate than RedBull. Talented people. They just need a bit better management.
honestly, I think the team's biggest problem is they are always in a hurry to try and win. Sometimes you just have to accept that you're not going to win for a while and start over fresh.
201 105 104 9 9 7

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Ferrari are always in a hurry to win, because their fans demand it. Like someone above said, Ferrari have been the closest competitor to Mercedes for more years than not of the turbo hybrid era, but they are still criticised far more than redbull or mclaren for example. I mean mclaren has all but gone bust. Redbull has been in no mans land for more seasons than Ferrari, but Ferrari are often viewed as incompetent or outrageously terrible while those others teams aren’t. Weird

Shader

JPBD1990 wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 11:20
Ferrari are always in a hurry to win, because their fans demand it. Like someone above said, Ferrari have been the closest competitor to Mercedes for more years than not of the turbo hybrid era, but they are still criticised far more than redbull or mclaren for example. I mean mclaren has all but gone bust. Redbull has been in no mans land for more seasons than Ferrari, but Ferrari are often viewed as incompetent or outrageously terrible while those others teams aren’t. Weird
Well you kinda answered your own question here. That "all but gone bust" team is now outperforming the Scuderia giant , which has twice the budget... So, the critique is the least Ferrari should take.

I do agree about fans expectations however. One of the problems with Ferrari fanbase is that most of them are there because they want to affiliate themselves with success, not Ferrari, and when Ferrari ain't performing, they're gone in frustration, criticizing everything and everyone. It takes more than that to truly support the team. (I wonder how that fanbase would look like if Ferrari spent 3-4 years as a midfield, let alone a backmaker).

Juzh

AngelicPrincess wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 08:05
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 20:27

Outstanding work, bravo.
May I ask the sampling rate?
The video available to me was 25 FPS. Analysing it frame by frame i found that the speed graphic was refreshing every other frame. So that is what I sampled. It equates to 12.5 Hz, 0.08 seconds per sample.
I'm guessing you're using my laps from youtube, since those are 25 fps? If you're willing to do more of this stuff I can give you clear telemetry in 50 fps on a clear background for every driver (easier for OCR). If you need actual onboard laps videos then I can give you more of those as well, but they will be 25 fps. Just shoot me PM if you're interested. I'd love to see more of this analysis types.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Shader wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 12:09

Well you kinda answered your own question here. That "all but gone bust" team is now outperforming the Scuderia giant , which has twice the budget... So, the critique is the least Ferrari should take.

I do agree about fans expectations however. One of the problems with Ferrari fanbase is that most of them are there because they want to affiliate themselves with success, not Ferrari, and when Ferrari ain't performing, they're gone in frustration, criticizing everything and everyone. It takes more than that to truly support the team. (I wonder how that fanbase would look like if Ferrari spent 3-4 years as a midfield, let alone a backmaker).
Mclaren haven’t always been in this amount of trouble though. They’ve competed against Ferrari with the same or more budget in the past and to an equivalent standard. Only during the mclaren Honda rebirth did we finally get some rumblings of incompetence, but again mostly levelled at Honda despite mclaren having very clearly made a horrendous chassis in at least 2016/2017. Anyway, they were only for demonstrative purposes.

I agree with what you said about the fans. My most hated reaction is the “X HAS TO GO” (currently Binotto, despite being responsible for the engine during Ferrari’s most dominant era in history). One bad year (again, ‘bad’ only in the context that they have only beat every team on the grid except 1) and this persons gotta go, that persons gotta go. I mean, no wonder they’re in this mess? It’s been a revolving door since 2009. Im surprised anyone is even left from the Schumacher era.

I do respect how they handled the budget cap debate. Their main intention was to NOT make employees redundant. I mean how common is that in the corporate landscape? Particularly now they’re public ally traded, I would have expected them to leap at the opportunity to save some money. Instead they’re looking at additional categories so they can retain staff.

Either way, they ebb and flow like every team. I just wish people would be along for the ride a bit more? No team can win every year. Look at Mercedes... I admire their excellence and dominance, but I resent them for diminishing the entertainment value of the sport I love. I will find myself wishing for anyone to win a race except them, which is wrong... but that’s just what dominance does. I HOPE redbull can take the fight to them this year. That hope seems dim based on Max’s performance and retirement, and that makes me sad.

ScrewCaptain27

bill shoe wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 00:55
AngelicPrincess wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 19:01
So I wrote a script that records the speed of the car from the onboard qualy laps, sampling at a constant rate. The math is then straight forward to calculate the distance covered and plot the results as shown below. The laps taken into account are; Bottas', Leclerc's and Verstappen's.

https://i.ibb.co/TtSw6sT/Annotation-202 ... 195935.jpg
Ferrari seems to be dead-equal with Merc and RB/Honda from 150-250 kph. Then Ferrari has substantial fall-off (compared to Merc & RB) from 260 kph and higher.

This looks like either less time from MGU-K output, and/or significantly higher drag.

That's surprising because those symptoms don't seem to fit with the meme of Ferrari having a fuel-flow trick that was curtailed by the recent FIA settlement.
Judging also from the way the Ferraris in particular sounded I’m not surprised at all that MGU-K is the issue. In fact I think I was the first here to bring it up. The fuel-flow trick really only gave a big advantage in quali and restarts. Also remember how powerful their “K1 Plus” boost was last year? It seems to do nothing now. What I don’t understand is how they managed to get it so wrong, unless the FIA screwed them.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

Macklaren
Macklaren

There is no silver bullet here but there definitely needs to be a culture reset. If I were Louis Camileri, I would do interviews in the Italian media making it very clear that Ferrari are not going to win the championship for 3 years. That takes the pressure off. Then go find someone like Zak Brown who is a great manager of people (is Jost Capito still available?). Send Mattia back to engine where was doing a great job. Get in some good aero + technical director to replace Allison (who was never really replaced). And they desperately need new race engineers/strategists. Question is whether they need to move to the UK where the vast majority of the F1 talent is, to make this happen..

6 of 12
6 of 12

Macklaren wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 13:59
There is no silver bullet here but there definitely needs to be a culture reset. If I were Louis Camileri, I would do interviews in the Italian media making it very clear that Ferrari are not going to win the championship for 3 years. That takes the pressure off. Then go find someone like Zak Brown who is a great manager of people (is Jost Capito still available?). Send Mattia back to engine where was doing a great job. Get in some good aero + technical director to replace Allison (who was never really replaced). And they desperately need new race engineers/strategists. Question is whether they need to move to the UK where the vast majority of the F1 talent is, to make this happen..
Could they not keep the factory in Maranello and move into a small office in London and employ a gamer to do their race strategy from there? =D
No, Kimi, no. You will not have the drink.