[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sieper

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

For a technical forum I feel there is sometimes little nuance. As one user above posted, Max was waiting at the red light and immediately put in a good time. I think RBR knew that with too much water on track they would suffer (Low ride height Perhaps). Only to the end (when the risk was Needed and being taken) Lewis Put the very fastest lap in, but at that time the track was also wettest and Max had to fight the car in places. Perhaps signs of looking forward to a nice race tomorrow. Max certainly was not phased. Not any statement against Lewis, I always think and thought he is fantastic, but you seem to have to put that disclaimer on every post.

JRindt

That minor stall issue on RedBull was acting up in high speed corners, and they were losing the rear last week in turns 9 and 10. And guess where Max lost it again.

Wynters
Wynters

**Too light-hearted**
Last edited by Wynters on 11 Jul 2020, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.

Pyrone89

JRindt wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 23:25
That minor stall issue on RedBull was acting up in high speed corners, and they were losing the rear last week in turns 9 and 10. And guess where Max lost it again.
This. They really need to get on top of it, for example by further strengthening parts so they do not bend under load.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Jaisonas
Jaisonas

Im sorry, but to my eyes, all handling problems from Max's last lap seem to come from Honda's inexperience to set up the engine correctly for wet conditions. The powerjumps seem too sudden for him to handle.

Pyrone89

Jaisonas wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 00:25
Im sorry, but to my eyes, all handling problems from Max's last lap seem to come from Honda's inexperience to set up the engine correctly for wet conditions. The powerjumps seem too sudden for him to handle.
Both Honda and the aero stall in the high speed corners.

Jolle
Jolle

Jaisonas wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 00:25
It seems to be a Honda thing there from the beginning, I remember that McLaren had the same kind of issues (on top of their own). As did Renault and Ferrari by the way, especially in the first half of the new V6 years. Only Mercedes seems to have a both strong and drivable PU from the start.

Pyrone89

Basically the car is good enough for a win here and there this season when driven absolutely on the limit and they nail the set-up. But it will not win a championship. For that it is way too unpredictable and sensitive to small changes. Basically 2019 on repeat. I trully feel they need to reconsider the high-rake design, especially for 2022 onwards. And get a Technical Director that spends 100% of his time on the team instead of 50% (and the other 50% on side projects). Newey his time has come and gone. Just like Brawn is now retired from being an engineer. They were the greats of the 90's and 00's, even early 10's in Newey's case. But it is time for fresh blood, like Mercedes rightly recognized when they hired Allisson.

Edity: at the annoying minus voter, yes I know what Newey is. CTO. Now stop using minus votes and use reply.
Last edited by Pyrone89 on 12 Jul 2020, 04:11, edited 1 time in total.

godlameroso

Pyrone89 wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 23:35
JRindt wrote:
This. They really need to get on top of it, for example by further strengthening parts so they do not bend under load.
Bendy parts aren't always a bad thing if you can get them to bend when and how you want them to.
Saishū kōnā

Bill
Bill

Honda pu did well in Gasly hands from my observations Rbr chassis is not always great in the wet like in 18 they were out qualified by Str in Hungary .don't forget they won in wet lat year.wet races are rear so if car is good in dry that all that's matter.

SF Engineer
SF Engineer

It'll be interesting to wee what strategy Max goes with today...
With freedom of choice the Mercs may well choose to go with the medium, in which case the soft could give enough of an advantage off the line (on a relatively green track) for Max to overtake.I suspect, however, that if they are happy with their long run pace (as they seem to be), then they might even prefer to be behind HAM and dictate from there (as HAM did in Hungary last year).

Anyway, but of a bold prediction but I'd say barring any technical trouble Max will win today. I do think, however, it'll be a bit more challenging for Albon. If he can get around Sainz and Ocon early then he should be on for the expected 4th. In that sense it might make sense for him to start on the softs, push past, and then go only the hards relatively early (switching back to softs at the end of there is another late SC).

Should be a fun one!

Pyrone89

SF Engineer wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 07:38
With freedom of choice the Mercs may well choose to go with the medium, in which case the soft could give enough of an advantage off the line (on a relatively green track) for Max to overtake.I suspect, however, that if they are happy with their long run pace (as they seem to be), then they might even prefer to be behind HAM and dictate from there (as HAM did in Hungary last year).

Anyway, but of a bold prediction but I'd say barring any technical trouble Max will win today. I do think, however, it'll be a bit more challenging for Albon. If he can get around Sainz and Ocon early then he should be on for the expected 4th. In that sense it might make sense for him to start on the softs, push past, and then go only the hards relatively early (switching back to softs at the end of there is another late SC).

Should be a fun one!
Hamilton will win. According to F1.com they have half a second in hand on race pace

SF Engineer
SF Engineer

Pyrone89 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 08:06
SF Engineer wrote:

Should be a fun one!
Hamilton will win. According to F1.com they have half a second in hand on race pace
Sorry, I didn’t realize the race had been run already...

Pyrone89

SF Engineer wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 09:05
Pyrone89 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 08:06
SF Engineer wrote:

Should be a fun one!
Sorry, I didn’t realize the race had been run already...
It was, last week. :lol:

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

JRindt wrote:
VER said his car was upset by the dirty air coming off of VET entering the pits. Seems plausible. Seems like it took the clean air off the front wing, made him run wide onto the slippery curbs and when he put the power down one rear tire had much more grip than the other.
Last edited by ENGINE TUNER on 12 Jul 2020, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.