[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

Jaisonas wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 00:25
Im sorry, but to my eyes, all handling problems from Max's last lap seem to come from Honda's inexperience to set up the engine correctly for wet conditions. The powerjumps seem too sudden for him to handle.
When Ant and Karun examined HAMs and VERs laps side by side they practically snapped in the same places most probably due to track conditions/standing water.

GhostF1
GhostF1

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 09:12
Jaisonas wrote:
Im sorry, but to my eyes, all handling problems from Max's last lap seem to come from Honda's inexperience to set up the engine correctly for wet conditions. The powerjumps seem too sudden for him to handle.
When Ant and Karun examined HAMs and VERs laps side by side they practically snapped in the same places most probably due to track conditions/standing water.
This. Watch the onboards of all manufacturers. The Honda and Merc were the least problematic for power down. Renault and Ferrari had more issues, especially out of T3. Also watch Hamilton's last lap.. engineer says to switch magic to on for the final lap and his traction was suddenly outstanding.

Makes me think to the special diff programming that was thrown around a couple seasons ago.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

GhostF1 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 09:16
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Jaisonas wrote:
This. Watch the onboards of all manufacturers. The Honda and Merc were the least problematic for power down. Renault and Ferrari had more issues, especially out of T3. Also watch Hamilton's last lap.. engineer says to switch magic to on for the final lap and his traction was suddenly outstanding.

Makes me think to the special diff programming that was thrown around a couple seasons ago.
Mystical brake magic strikes again! Got any more info on that?

etusch

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 09:18
GhostF1 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 09:16
ENGINE TUNER wrote:

Mystical brake magic strikes again! Got any more info on that?
I think most important thing of yesterday qualification session were car's tyre usage, driver ability and rain condition during whole particular lap of every driver. I can say that most important one is condition. Because of that drivers stayed on track for whole session. Sometimes a driver made worse in s1 and made best in s3 just after another driver who cannot do his best in s3.
Gasly, Ocon, Russell are shined in this condition and Bottas and Leclerc are looked a bit worse. Hamilton and Max was where they have to be so they just did their job as everytime.
I think fuel load also play a role in that condition by keeping car on the graund. Maybe mercedes did everything better but lap time conditions was most decisive part of qualification. Engine mapping, aero etc may affect on it but much lesser I think.

Sieper

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 09:10
JRindt wrote:
11 Jul 2020, 23:25
That minor stall issue on RedBull was acting up in high speed corners, and they were losing the rear last week in turns 9 and 10. And guess where Max lost it again.
VER said his car was upset by the dirty air coming off of VET entering the pits. Seems plausible. Seems like it took the clean air off the front wing, made him run wide onto the slippery curbs and when he put the power down one rear tire had much more grip than the other.
Yes, somehow this still often gets overlooked. Almost everytime (I watch all FPs live and all the time) anybody spins or runs much wider than intended They are in dirty air. Those moments your car may or may not work anymore, just depends on the Level of turbulance you hit.

With that Vettel moment It got really close. Phew.

Pyrone89

There is a reason the 2022 are trying to combat dirty air. It is almost impossible to follow closely unless you have a significant pace advantage. Therefore quali is so important.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

etusch

I just watched Juzh's video comparation of two driver and it is clear that Ham runs in cleaner condition.
Vers had said that he tried to keep tyre lane made by other driver running front of him who is vettel. Maybe he was good on vettel's line cleaned by his tyres but penultimate corner he out from that line and as soon as that happens he spun

Pyrone89

etusch wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 12:52
I just watched Juzh's video comparation of two driver and it is clear that Ham runs in cleaner condition.
Vers had said that he tried to keep tyre lane made by other driver running front of him who is vettel. Maybe he was good on vettel's line cleaned by his tyres but penultimate corner he out from that line and as soon as that happens he spun
The dirty air causes loss of downforce, meaning understeer and that is when he got on to the curbs as he had already chosen entry speed when suddenly Vettel blocked the apex (not sure if the team told Vettel was gonna pit beforehand). As seen with GIO. When you get on the curbs you are done and it was impressive that he came out with no damage doing his 4 wheel Brazilian style slide again (2014 and 2016).
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Alexf1
Alexf1

The video comparison is shocking. What a difference between those 2 cars. The RB is very very loose and the Mercedes is on rails.

Marti_EF3

Well, now it's clear who will win both WC this and next year. Albon had horrible pace also #-o

etusch

Marti_EF3 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 16:49
Well, now it's clear who will win both WC this and next year. Albon had horrible pace also #-o
It will be clear at low altitude tracks. Redbull is not so slow they can find performance to catch them. But season may not be long enough to turn it result.

Marti_EF3

They need to win at Hungary if they want to have a minimal chance... But it will be super hard

Karim28
Karim28

Poor pace from Albon. Yes it's a little bit better than Gasly's last year pace in Austria, but definitly we didn't hope pace like this.
It gonna be 2 seasons fighting with only one car.

GhostF1
GhostF1

Marti_EF3 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 16:49
Need to hear from Alex .. his pace was woeful. He started to match Bottas when Perez caught him and he did well to fend him off but he shouldn't of been racing him and he shouldn't of needed Perez to wake him up. I'm disappointed, I expected way way more from Alex.

closed1001
closed1001

albon once again 0.8s off max. I don't know if he is that bad or Max is just that good