[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sieper

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 18:36
If thats true they should almost match pink Mercedes...but they don't...
It is true. It is a slightly improved RB15. And they don’t Match the pink mercedes as that has the 2020 mercedes engine on board. It seems the Mercedes engine is Now as powerFull as the (Likely) illegal Ferrari was last year. And I see it puffing smoke (now also first lap at Bottas) and many times at Perez and Stroll already. They have found something.

Bill
Bill

Mercedes didn't pioneer the outwash front wing these is some of the myth being perpetrated on f1 forums but is not true.the outwash front wing first appeared on the Brawn and Toyota of 2009

Moore77

Bill wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 19:23
Mercedes didn't pioneer the outwash front wing these is some of the myth being perpetrated on f1 forums but is not true.the outwash front wing first appeared on the Brawn and Toyota of 2009
That Brawn, is the current Mercedes. Their chief designer John Owen is there in the team since Honda days.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

Pany
Pany

I do think at this point, RedBull are nearly fine with car and drivers. The gap is again power units based. Welcome back to 2014-2016 mercedes dominance. After complex engine clarifications, the significant proprietary improvements of Ferrari and honda are nullified. On the other hand , new rules did not affect mercedes engine. They just suffered oil limits while ago and now their system is not investigated. They have somethink in there, but FIA is not capable to find it, with theyr own admission the could not find easily Ferrari irregularities.

McMika98
McMika98

The Honda engine isn't a pushover Perez with DRS could not pass Albon. The car isnt that great in fact the pink Mercedes is a lot better and quicker car. Max would have won with that car.

Bill
Bill

So people are back at blaming the pu get real.another myth people find it uncomfortable to shake off that Newey always build great cars.it doesn't matter if Max spins multiple times or tires doesn't last or Horner says they need to bring upgrades on chassis side it's all Honda problem.

McMika98
McMika98

The car is behind the Merc in medium and fast corners, despite all that downforce. Acc to Alex, they will struggle to keep up with the Merc in Hungary, Britain will be even worse.
Whats even more worrying is the pace of the pink Merc and the flashback of Hungary last year. Podium will be a luxury.
Puzzling that the car isnt good on tyres and also the pace of Alex was abysmal and odd. He was fast enough to overtake but after that he only pulled few seconds thanks to dirty air and then later the same pace, same as last week. The guy was losing half a second in sector two, second one is just one corner.

IvailoStefanovBG

Sieper wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 19:03
IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
It is true. It is a slightly improved RB15. And they don’t Match the ,.....
I would like to see times for different stints..I doubt that there is any improvement since last week. That means RB16 didnt improve from 2019 and thats why i think its more chassis realated than PU. And I agree Mercedes has pulled away power and reliability related but not so much...This RB16 is so nervous at the back...

Pany
Pany

The car design follows the Power availability. With less power you maximise drag reduction, hence less stable car because of lower downforce, even if optimised.

IvailoStefanovBG

This is old story, and I believe not representative for the current condition.

JordanMugen

Bill wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 19:43
So people are back at blaming the pu get real.another myth people find it uncomfortable to shake off that Newey always build great cars.it doesn't matter if Max spins multiple times or tires doesn't last
The 2019 ban on front wing outwash cascades was not Newey's choice and seems to have hurt Red Bull a lot.

I'm not sure the alternative of building a low rake car like the Racing Point would have been feasible, given it was meant to be for just one season, and Red Bull's lack of experience with that type of design.

It seems like Red Bull and Honda underestimated how much improvement Mercedes would make, and didn't set the right performance targets for what would be necessary to win in 2020. #-o If they had set correct targets and realised they had been unable to meet them, I guess RB never would have made the bullish pre-season comments they did. :?

Wouter

Post-Race Press Conference

The Power of Dreams!

Sieper

IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 20:54
Sieper wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 19:03
IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
It is true. It is a slightly improved RB15. And they don’t Match the ,.....
I would like to see times for different stints..I doubt that there is any improvement since last week. That means RB16 didnt improve from 2019 and thats why i think its more chassis realated than PU. And I agree Mercedes has pulled away power and reliability related but not so much...This RB16 is so nervous at the back...
Well, the Honda redesigned turbo is supposed to be worse at altitude (compared to last year) but better on ground level. Hope to see that next week!

Sieper

McMika98 wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 19:39
The Honda engine isn't a pushover Perez with DRS could not pass Albon. The car isnt that great in fact the pink Mercedes is a lot better and quicker car. Max would have won with that car.
I don’t buy that. Last week Norris had much better acceleration at the start and now Sainz. Last year Ferrari had the same. At this moment I feel the PU is ALSO part of the problem. I have never said the chassis is already at peak performance but the RB16 is beating the RB15 (alpha tauri) by a large margin already. I think Albon simply received a higher power mode (To run for a few laps) to combat the attack of Perez. So Honda does have the option but it is simply a question of daring to use it. They will receive the blame if it goes wrong so they have all the risk.

I understand aero is incredibly important when going at the speeds they do, but they all have good aero and innovations are easily spotted. You only have to look at Ferrari (whose car is better then last year as already shown in one of the skypads) what engine power output Really means.

dans79

IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
12 Jul 2020, 20:54
This RB16 is so nervous at the back...
Honestly, I feel this is because they have pushed the high rake concept as far as they possibly can, and are now well into the realm of diminishing returns. Thus, they are having to experiment with concepts that put the car on a razors edge all the time.
201 105 104 9 9 7