[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Bill
Bill

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

It's not that simple porches with less power but better traction is fast than most powerful amgs and BMW m cars .

Jaisonas
Jaisonas

I think it would be fair to say that Newey got it wrong...

ME4ME

Best not to draw too many conclusions yet, but oh dear..

isullivan
isullivan

Jaisonas wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 12:22
If they are slower here than last year, really can't blame the engine anymore.

loekf2
loekf2

Jaisonas wrote:
It will be a very very long season for RedBull this way. No chance on sunday, even worse they are lucky if they can finish before the RPs and/or McLarens. P5 is the best they can finish ?

Don't think it's the engine only.

IvailoStefanovBG

Last year fp1 - Max 1:17:3 Ham 1:17:1
This year fp1 - Max 1:17:4 Ham 1:16:0 with 10 laps hard tyres 😁😁😁😁

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Horner says they’re doing a bit of evaluation, let’s see FP2
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

loekf2
loekf2

Ground Effect wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 12:46
Horner says they’re doing a bit of evaluation, let’s see FP2
|

Hopefully with face masks on. Shouting results into a big spread of COVID particles....

Jaisonas
Jaisonas

I dont think you can blame the engine on the least engine track of them all. Indeed though lets wait for fp2

JordanMugen

Jaisonas wrote:
Wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet! Maybe it's just the complex aero mapping (ride height, heave dampers etc) of the RB16 which is not dialled in yet?

As a "wrong" car it is still clearly the 2nd best car, which is pretty good!

Even if RB-Honda had set higher performance targets, beyond the (admittedly very high) level of the Mercedes W11, there is no guarantee they could have met them. :|

Bill wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 11:07
It's not that simple porches with less power but better traction is fast than most powerful amgs and BMW m cars .
That's because they are lighter...

Maybe rear-engine is better for traction, but overall mid-engine is typically considered best for handling (hence its use in F1). It would be curious what the Porsche Cayman could do if given all the go-fast parts from the 911 GT3 or GT2...

etusch

I think still too early and I think they will return at least 3d place but if it needed to see where is the problem, like mclaren example, we can see good part of this bad picture

TNTHead

JordanMugen wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 13:07
Jaisonas wrote:
Wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet! Maybe it's just the complex aero mapping (ride height, heave dampers etc) of the RB16 which is not dialled in yet?

Even if RB-Honda had set higher performance targets, beyond the (admittedly very high) level of the Mercedes W11, there is no guarantee they could have met them. :|

Bill wrote:

Maybe rear-engine is better for traction, but overall mid-engine is typically considered best for handling (hence its use in F1). It would be curious what the Porsche Cayman could do if given all the go-fast parts from the 911 GT3 or GT2...
"I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet"... that RB is "still clearly the 2nd best car"

We'll have to see, first signs are not encouraging.

TNTHead

TNTHead wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 13:19
JordanMugen wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 13:07
Jaisonas wrote:

Bill wrote:

"I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet"... that RB is "still clearly the 2nd best car" at this track.

We'll have to see, first signs are not encouraging.

Macklaren
Macklaren

IvailoStefanovBG wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 10:49
Just watched onboard of Max after SC restart - Styria GP. He was with battery fully charched, max power, boost on and Hamilton flew away yet on ther first straight. For me - Honda PU clearly less powerful than Mercedes. He switched off boost after one lap because it was pointless using it...No chance...
Don't forget DAS

Revs84
Revs84

So far it does not look good. Following FP1 both drivers complained about the balance of the car and FP2 being carried out on a wet track, didn't give them the opportunity to test out a new setup. I'm keeping my fingers crossed they could pull a rabbit out of their hat and have a major turnaround tomorrow - provided they can test on a dry track!

Following Austria, I was keeping positive about their chances in Hungary. I'm not so sure anymore :(

The only silver lining is that the next race will be in 2 weeks on a track close to their factory - giving them a good chance of bringing in some updates that would bring them closer to Mercedes. They really need to make sure they don't miss that train since it would be their last chance for this year to keep in contention of the WC.