[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McMika98
McMika98

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

All that preseason big talk of how the car is one of the best and now they still can't find a balance to suit the car. They have been found out. With the season being short and full of back to back races there won't be much time to get new parts and tune the car. The fundamental of fast car is to have it driveable and then add in the upgrades. No point chucking upgrades if the baseline is just not consistent. Behaviour from one corner to another is all over the place.
Max can say goodbye to being the youngest WC and maybe he will be looking at Mercedes seat for 2022. This season is looking to be a Merc victory lap.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

This talk of balance reminds me of what MotoGP and Superbike manufacturers went through years ago. You can engineer an ideal design on the computer screen / wind tunnel, but if the driver's aren't comfortable, pace will suffer. Sure they can rip off a quick lap here and there, but over the course of the race, they have to work harder which makes them more likely to make a mistake.

So much of what they work on in bikes is how to make the rider comfortable and different riders like slightly different things. I know they know this in F1, it even matters for amateur car racers, but I think sometimes the cart comes before the horse, and that comes from the top (technical director) in leading the design teams in that direction.

If you look at Mercedes, it's fast but it also (by way of watching in-car) looks like the easiest car to go fast in and do so consistently. The Racing Point and Mclaren cars do the same.

etusch

Hoffman900 wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 19:21
This talk of balance reminds me of what MotoGP and Superbike manufacturers went through years ago. You can engineer an ideal design on the computer screen / wind tunnel, but if the driver's aren't comfortable, pace will suffer. Sure they can rip off a quick lap here and there, but over the course of the race, they have to work harder which makes them more likely to make a mistake.

So much of what they work on in bikes is how to make the rider comfortable and different riders like slightly different things. I know they know this in F1, it even matters for amateur car racers, but I think sometimes the cart comes before the horse, and that comes from the top (technical director) in leading the design teams in that direction.

If you look at Mercedes, it's fast but it also (by way of watching in-car) looks like the easiest car to go fast in and do so consistently. The Racing Point and Mclaren cars do the same.
In motogp Ducati having braking stability and better acceleration thaks to its longer chassis . They are not good as much as honda at turns and miles away from yamaha and suzuki at turns. I wonder how kind of benefits of longer chassis for mercedes

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

etusch wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 19:32
Hoffman900 wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 19:21

In motogp Ducati have confort of longer chassis as braking stability and better acceleration. They are not good as much as honda at turns and miles away from yamaha and suzuki at turns. I wonder how kind of benefits of longer chassis for mercedes?
A longer chassis will resonate and flex differently than a shorter one, in addition to the aero balance.

From an aero perspective:
It would be interesting to model at speed if the cars have any sort of bow in them that flattens or anything like that at speed. Civil / Structural engineers do it all the time with pre-tensioned concrete beams (bridge beams settle about 1" when you pour the deck on vs. unloaded, and that changes with span length). You might try to measure static vs dynamic wheelbases, but beams are pinned to the abutments and the pin distance doesn't change when loaded, so that would likely be pointless. The effect would be subtle as well.

From a mechanical perspective:
It would be interesting if the car chassis are compliant in certain directions and stiff in others. Bikes need to be because their suspension doesn't work as well at high lean angles and the frame / swingarm stiffness dominate the handling. Obviously cars don't do that... I certainly would have to chew on this a bit.

The chassis resonance would be apparent when going over rumble strips. I have talked with shaker rigs guys where they'll see the whole car go into resonance. Bikes too. Yikes!

McMika98
McMika98

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vers ... y/4838378/
Max not happy at all. Cant wait to hear from Horner and Marko.
Real danger of falling behind Pink Merc this weekend.

Marti_EF3

Definetely not looking good at the moment. But we will see...

TNTHead

Could it be that RB has (some) correlation issues between wind tunnel and track? I remember the first year with current cars (2017) they had also a very unstable back and balance issues which they fixed in season. Although one would assume that without major rule changes this should not occur.

loekf2
loekf2

TNTHead wrote:
17 Jul 2020, 22:43
Could it be that RB has (some) correlation issues between wind tunnel and track? I remember the first year with current cars (2017) they had also a very unstable back and balance issues which they fixed in season. Although one would assume that without major rule changes this should not occur.
I think they do. Remember that new nose design they introduced in Austria part I ? It turned out that Albon’s car was faster, so they went back to the old nose.

TNTHead

If it is indeed the case that would be a major step backwards, it probably takes valuable time to sort that out. It is not something you can fix overnight.

Big Tea

I know this keeps coming up all the time, and I fully agree with the thinking that the team will make the best possible car and make the drivers adapt except for slight tuning, but I just wonder if they are edging just a little too much to Max preference over best time on the computer? Albon seems to be having problems with 'twitchiness' which he sees as instability but Max sees as 'pointability', have they gone a little too far in that direction ?

I do not want to go down the 'designing a car around a driver' road, I know it is not (usually) so, but could it be a slight factor, but enough to count. ?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

I suspect they are still pushing drag vs downforce efficiency to the outer critical point, because of the underpowered unit.

Mercedes has more headroom because the powerunit and can exploit other area’s to make the care drivable.

godlameroso

Comparing 2019 vs 2020 Verstappen averaged about half a second faster race pace this year than last year and it still wasn't enough.

I hope that performance increase repeats here, Hamilton and Verstappen were very closely matched but Verstappen's tires started going off sooner. Looking back at last year I would have boxed on lap 18 or 19, go to hards to lap 47, then mediums to the end.
Saishū kōnā

McMika98
McMika98

People claiming the power deficit as an excuse need to see forest for the trees. This track calls for maximum downforce package, with no compromise even Mclaren in the Honda days did well here relatively when it was lapping 2-3 seconds behind.
In terms of race pace the midfield pack of the likes of Mclaren and Renault have gained a second a lap if not more whilst still having the same engine and few upgrades. Laptimes on well balanced car are easy to consistently achieve and the driver can make up some of the time by pushing. The car is so temperamental that it is chewing the tyres which was not the case last year. Hope they pull out a rabbit from the hat else it will be a very long season.

etusch

Red Bull chief engineer explains: 'Reason is different engine mode

https://www.maximumf1.com/formula-1/299 ... RB8RXoc5Eg

Moore77

etusch wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 09:08
Red Bull chief engineer explains: 'Reason is different engine mode

https://www.maximumf1.com/formula-1/299 ... RB8RXoc5Eg
Quite evident with the onboard laps and of course speed trap figures. Very very conservative engine modes.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.