2020 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 17-19

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
grubschumi13
grubschumi13

Re: 2020 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 17-19

Thought Stroll and Perez was poor today, really had high hopes for them. Really, Stroll should be the one doing what Max did today. That is a sign of a great driver over performing the car.

He continues to say that their car is the 2nd fastest on the grid but he not showing flashes of brilliance and I don't mean he should be brilliant all the time, but when the stars give a helping hand I would hope to see him chase the result rather than then result falling into his lap.

For example Max today chased the result beating two cars superior to his own. Leclerc in Austria, yes the stars aligned for him but he chased the result passing a Mclaren, and a Racing point.

Racing Point started in very good positions, Stroll got a good start ended up in 2nd and he just didn't chase to at least keep that 2nd place. When Max and Bottas passed him it really was like a back marker being lapped.

Perez likewise.

El Scorchio

nzjrs wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 17:35
El Scorchio wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 17:27
Unf wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 17:24

Yep and for some people this makes F1 as interesting and spectacular sport...
If you’re really not enjoying it that much then why waste your weekends?
I think "if you don't love it, bugger off" is not really a good answer or an investment in the future of F1.

If your wife buy a nice steak dinner and maybe the potatoes are a bit hard, you don't tell her to throw it against the wall and never eat steak again. You ask the chef to improve the bad bits so meal will be better next time.
Yeah. I was very hesitant to type it because I don’t necessarily think it’s very constructive but at the end of the day why put yourself through it if you’re genuinely not enjoying it? When I was a lot younger I got fed up of the Schumacher years. Skipped it for a couple and came back feeling much better about it all.

caesar1
caesar1

grubschumi13 wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 17:44
Thought Stroll and Perez was poor today, really had high hopes for them. Really, Stroll should be the one doing what Max did today. That is a sign of a great driver over performing the car.

He continues to say that their car is the 2nd fastest on the grid but he not showing flashes of brilliance and I don't mean he should be brilliant all the time, but when the stars give a helping hand I would hope to see him chase the result rather than then result falling into his lap.

For example Max today chased the result beating two cars superior to his own. Leclerc in Austria, yes the stars aligned for him but he chased the result passing a Mclaren, and a Racing point.

Racing Point started in very good positions, Stroll got a good start ended up in 2nd and he just didn't chase to at least keep that 2nd place. When Max and Bottas passed him it really was like a back marker being lapped.

Perez likewise.
I think if Vettel was in that car today he would have finished second.

fritticaldi

The Red Bull mechanics were seen drying the race track for Alex Albon prior to the start. This would enable the Thai driver to get better grip at the start of the race. I believe this is prohibited and expect rival teams to protest.

smellybeard
smellybeard

Funny brakes that need still to be cooled a half an hour after the car stopped on the grid.
That the blowers were even taken to the grid should be questioned.

It's cheating and they should be disqualified.

Schuttelberg

grubschumi13 wrote:

Perez likewise.
This is exactly the sort of complete bull sh!t the TV pundits and Fernando Alonso can sell to fans. It is humanly impossible to over perform, out perform or do more than the car can. When drivers do that, they spin or crash. You can ask me, I'm a Vettel fan and I can give you a full list of such incidents.

Great drivers are those that can maximise the performance a car can deliver and motivate the team to capitalise on chances that come by over a weekend. That's about as much as they can do. If an engine delivers 100bhp, a driver can bust his ball$ out but it will not deliver 101.

As for Max, a pathetic Bottas, a shocking Saturday and a mega drive on Sunday meant he maximised his result. Stroll is a renowned punching bag among F1 fans and continues to be no matter what he does. He bossed his team mate all weekend and that bloke is not your average Joe either. I think, Stroll did the maximum he possibly could. If anything, I think Albon had a position to make up but he was stuck behind Vettel forever and lost too much time coming through the field.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

NathanOlder

smellybeard wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 18:01
Funny brakes that need still to be cooled a half an hour after the car stopped on the grid.
That the blowers were even taken to the grid should be questioned.

It's cheating and they should be disqualified.
Very good point, didn't even think of that.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ab_f1
ab_f1

thestig84 wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 17:29
MtthsMlw wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 17:19
What's the penalty for drying the grid box? Albon under investigation.
He's conveniently ignoring those big dry patches clearly visible when he is pushed back
Horner had the nerve to say someone moaning.about it. If the shoe were on other foot, he would have shouting through the roof...

El Scorchio

Ted’s notebook interesting. Actually spoke with Horner about Albon and basically the excuse was ‘it’s unprecedented’ and it’s wasn’t on purpose’.

Can really see that one holding up.....

Big Tea

Teds notebook on Sky. Ted says to Danny Ric" does the covid swab go up your nose easier than other peoples" :evil: :twisted: :D :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Sieper

I don,t particularly appreciate the jabs ted is always deeming necessary. Have even stopped watching the notebook.

grubschumi13
grubschumi13

Schuttelberg wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 18:14
grubschumi13 wrote:

Perez likewise.
This is exactly the sort of complete bull sh!t the TV pundits and Fernando Alonso can sell to fans. It is humanly impossible to over perform, out perform or do more than the car can. When drivers do that, they spin or crash. You can ask me, I'm a Vettel fan and I can give you a full list of such incidents.

Great drivers are those that can maximise the performance a car can deliver and motivate the team to capitalise on chances that come by over a weekend. That's about as much as they can do. If an engine delivers 100bhp, a driver can bust his ball$ out but it will not deliver 101.

As for Max, a pathetic Bottas, a shocking Saturday and a mega drive on Sunday meant he maximised his result. Stroll is a renowned punching bag among F1 fans and continues to be no matter what he does. He bossed his team mate all weekend and that bloke is not your average Joe either. I think, Stroll did the maximum he possibly could. If anything, I think Albon had a position to make up but he was stuck behind Vettel forever and lost too much time coming through the field.
Lance said it himself this week after the race and last week after the race, so he is speaking with hindsight. He said they had the second fastest car today. Yet he was beaten by extension of his own statement a slower car in the hands of Max and RBR. So no, he did not do the maximum today. Granted in Qualifying they did maximise what they had but not in the race.

Max today punched above where his car was supposed to be today by beating two faster cars. Albon, Vettel maximised but none of the Racing Points did finished in a position befitting of what they say is the second fastest car.

This is 3 races in and they are yet to finish in positions they claim their cars should be.

nevill3

Renault have lodged a protest again against RP
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

PlatinumZealot

Stroll got hard done by after his first stop. I am not sure what happened there.. Maybe he didn't maximize on in-lap. But whatever it was Max pitted later and on his inters jumped Stroll.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Phil

grubschumi13 wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 18:30
Schuttelberg wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 18:14
grubschumi13 wrote:

Perez likewise.

Lance said it himself this week after the race and last week after the race, so he is speaking with hindsight. He said they had the second fastest car today. Yet he was beaten by extension of his own statement a slower car in the hands of Max and RBR. So no, he did not do the maximum today. Granted in Qualifying they did maximise what they had but not in the race.

Max today punched above where his car was supposed to be today by beating two faster cars. Albon, Vettel maximised but none of the Racing Points did finished in a position befitting of what they say is the second fastest car.

This is 3 races in and they are yet to finish in positions they claim their cars should be.
It’s a team sport. Racing point (the team) dropped the ball in the pits, possibly waiting for the rain that didnt come.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter