[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Moore77

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

https://www.grandprix247.com/2020/07/19 ... el-return/
Sebastian Vettel could yet return to Red Bull if team owner Dietrich Mateschitz gets his way, according to reports in Italian media.

Thought to have been ruled-out as a destination for the soon-to-depart Ferrari driver after team principal Christian Horner’s comments last week in Austria, both Autosprint and Sky Italia are reporting Mateschitz is still pushing heavily for Vettel’s return.

A four-time Formula 1 world champion with Red Bull from 2010-13, Vettel has maintained a close relationship with Mateschitz since he left the team in 2015, with the latter seeing this as a chance to bring his ‘prodigal son’ back home.

Adding to the rumours, the relationship between Red Bull and incumbent driver Alexander Albon is speculated to be on rocky ground, with the Thai lashing-out on team radio after another underwhelming performance on Saturday, qualifying 13th for the Hungarian Grand Prix.

And while the energy drinks outfit has AlphaTauri drivers Daniil Kvyat and Pierre Gasly waiting in the wings, both have failed in previous stints with the senior team.

That said, concerns are likely to still remain with how Vettel would gel with lead-driver Max Verstappen, given both the former’s clashes with Ferrari teammate Charles Leclerc, and the latter’s famously fiery personality.

Additionally, Vettel has been heavily-linked to with a switch to Racing Point/Aston Martin in 2021, although both current drivers Lance Stroll and Sergio Perez are under contract until 2022.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

TNTHead

Marti_EF3 wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 19:01
Wet start helped a lot. We had a lot of luck with that. Also Albon did a great recovery, but with clean air needs to improve his pace. Good points to be alive for the 2nd place on WCC, and now time to the factory to understand what the hell is going on with the car. Also I did notice when Max asked for more power, during 2 laps he increased for about 1,5-2s the gap from Bottas when he was still on mediums, no traffic. I think Honda may be holding up a bit to solve some gremlins before relasing all the power. But it's only my opinion...
I sensed also that HAM was very eager to score that extra point with a fastest lap. I imagine that that had nothing to do with BOT. It may be that Merc is still not certain that their dominance will last whole season. So one can still hope.
Last edited by TNTHead on 19 Jul 2020, 19:31, edited 1 time in total.

Marti_EF3

TNTHead wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 19:27
Marti_EF3 wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 19:01
Wet start helped a lot. We had a lot of luck with that. Also Albon did a great recovery, but with clean air needs to improve his pace. Good points to be alive for the 2nd place on WCC, and now time to the factory to understand what the hell is going on with the car. Also I did notice when Max asked for more power, during 2 laps he increased for about 1,5-2s the gap from Bottas when he was still on mediums, no traffic. I think Honda may be holding up a bit to solve some gremlins before relasing all the power. But it's only my opinion...
I sensed also that HAM was very eager to score that extra point with a fastest lap. I imagine that that had nothing to do with BOT. It may be that Merc is still not certain that their dominance will last whole season.
I was reffering Max when was chased by BOT, Max asked for more power, and then increased the gap for 1-2s...

Sieper

Bot hit traffic.

Let’s hope the extra point was not just ego but indeed maybe an expectance Max can still compete this year. I don’t see it but perhaps they can find the aero culprit(s).

simieski
simieski

Having won and lost a WDC by one point Hamilton’s desire for the fastest lap is understandable
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

Marti_EF3

Sieper wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 19:49
Bot hit traffic.

Let’s hope the extra point was not just ego but indeed maybe an expectance Max can still compete this year. I don’t see it but perhaps they can find the aero culprit(s).
It wasn't on traffic during that laps I say

Sieper

In the last lap no, indeed, mistake by me. But earlier on there was a touch of traffic that did cost Bottas more time to clear.

Marti_EF3

But I'm talking when Bottas was still on Medium tires. And was behind Max. He then asked for more power, and then the gap increased a lot. And they were alone in track at that moment.

etusch

Sieper wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 19:49
Bot hit traffic.

when gap reduced to 1 sec vers up his pace and made 1.7 then bottas hit by traffic.

KelsO
KelsO

Actually, Red Bull's poor performance shouldn't surprise anyone. This is not the first time they start the season badly, usually it takes them 3-4 months to finalize the chassis. I don't know why this is happening, but it is a fact. But such a lag in quali, especially in Hungary, I definitely did not expect. The championship will be too short to correct the situation.

Marti_EF3

=D> =D> =D>

Sieper

They shouldn’t be doing that anymore, Albon was not to blame and he could have gotten a penalty for it.

Wouter

Marti_EF3 wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 22:21
=D> =D> =D>

=D> \:D/ =D> \:D/ =D> \:D/
The Power of Dreams!

godlameroso

Looking at the race lap times, the gap to Hamilton in similar circumstances seems to be half a second per lap. Before pitting for softs the best Hamilton could manage was 18.6 while Verstappen could do no better than 19.1, granted different compounds and it wasn't on the same lap, but I think that's representative of the gap.

Something I noticed, the medium tire at this race, which I imagine is the C3 tire, can go ~75km before it starts degrading the hard C2 tire can go 145km. Which means the soft is probably only good for 35-40km.

I wonder how this will play out in Silverstone, where there are more high speed corners. Especially that front left takes a serious beating. The front right barely feels anything by comparison often the difference in tire pressure is as high as 2 psi.

Furthermore I wonder how the cars will cope if track conditions become considerably warmer. It could be one of those rare weekends where you have nothing but sunshine all the way through. Although that's just a hope on my part.
Last edited by godlameroso on 19 Jul 2020, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
Saishū kōnā

Marti_EF3

That's too much. But will be better to compare with BOT, because Hamilton was driving to a delta and not pushing. But BOT was indeed pushing to reach Max. And I think Verstappen was not saving much knowing Bottas was coming... The only thing that gives me some hopes, is that when they turned the PU a bit up to give more power, Max was able to gain aprox 1,5s on two laps. If they can finally unleash the PU, and solve the chasis and aero problems, the gap could be 0.2 or so. And that's enough to fight