Ferrari F60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
modbaraban
modbaraban

Re: Ferrari F60

Here's what I found on exhausts:
3.8.5 Once the relevant bodywork surfaces are defined in accordance with Article 3.8.4, apertures may be added for the following purposes only :
- single apertures either side of the car centre line for the sole purpose of exhaust exits. These apertures may have a combined area of no more than 50,000mm2 when projected onto the surface itself.
Can anyone translate this "apertures...projected onto the surface itself" into human language, please? :oops:

ISLAMATRON

modbaraban wrote:Here's what I found on exhausts:
3.8.5 Once the relevant bodywork surfaces are defined in accordance with Article 3.8.4, apertures may be added for the following purposes only :
- single apertures either side of the car centre line for the sole purpose of exhaust exits. These apertures may have a combined area of no more than 50,000mm2 when projected onto the surface itself.
Can anyone translate this "apertures...projected onto the surface itself" into human language, please? :oops:
Holes for exhaust pipe cant be no bigger than 50K mm2 in area

modbaraban
modbaraban

So where's the limitation on pipe length?

EDIT: I read the "bodywork ahead of rear wheels" section again carefully. As far as I understand - no pipes can extend over the surface of the restricted apertures in the bodywork. Thus no conventional exhaust pipes anymore. That means F60 sidepods are to be redesigned in that area before Melbourne.
Last edited by modbaraban on 19 Jan 2009, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

timbo
timbo

modbaraban wrote:EDIT: I read the "bodywork ahead of front wheels" section again carefully.
AFAIK there are no exhaust "ahead of front wheels" :lol:

Well, my german is bad (well, I don't know german at all, honestly) but from viewing that Auto-motor-und-Sport article I understood that they suppose that exhausts contradicted 75mm minimal radius rule apart from that there's no regulations concerning exhaust pipes, I guess.

modbaraban
modbaraban

timbo wrote:
modbaraban wrote:EDIT: I read the "bodywork ahead of front wheels" section again carefully.
AFAIK there are no exhaust "ahead of front wheels" :lol:

Well, my german is bad (well, I don't know german at all, honestly) but from viewing that Auto-motor-und-Sport article I understood that they suppose that exhausts contradicted 75mm minimal radius rule apart from that there's no regulations concerning exhaust pipes, I guess.
Lol... edited. I meant 'rear' I should go to sleep now *yawn*

Astro1
Astro1

So if we cover the exhaust with carbon fiber in the shape of the exhaust like a slip, does it become inboard?

Seems like the rules are a bit vague.

Crabbia
Crabbia

I'm pretty sure ferrari have cut back the exhausts already, look at the length of them when massa took the F60 out on its first run and then look at them when Raikonnen took it out. i cant get a side by side, but if you look at the pictures on the previous page it looks pretty convincing...
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

Astro1
Astro1

Yeah, I saw that they cut back the exhaust, what I don't get is how does that make them legal. And what is the rule that made them illegal in the first place. I mean surely the length doesn't matter, or does it? Is it the concept? What?

Everybody (articles) seemed to suggest that the legal vs illegal had to do with the exhaust not being incorporated into the body work and protrudes outside the car. So how does length fix this?

I mean if my exhaust protrudes 100mm vs 30mm is that all that the whole gripe was about? Are the aero rules on appendages responsible to prevent exhaust from functioning as an aero device?

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

Is the issue that the pipes cannot protrude vertically above the engine cover? The other teams have enclosed pipework..presumably due to this rule?
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

modbaraban
modbaraban

Astro1 wrote:So if we cover the exhaust with carbon fiber in the shape of the exhaust like a slip, does it become inboard?

Seems like the rules are a bit vague.
Not at all vague. The curvature of that 'slip' must conform with the 75mm radius rule then. It's not even stated whether they must be inboard or not. I guess if you make them large enough to conform with that rule then ther exhaust hole area will exceed the limit. So the obvious solution is to make the inboard.

kekekeke
kekekeke

apparently the exhaust counts as bodywork so they have to follow the same regulations about smooth tangents with min radius. Ferrari will have to completely cover them up with smooth bodywork otherwise it would be illegal. even the shortened version.

Avto
Avto

I don't understand what's the big deal, sure the exhaust system might need work, but I doubt the front wing will stay the way it is now. I mean this is not the race spec, Ferrari can change it, of they don't they will not be allowed to race. Seriously this way Ferrari can hide something from us(and other F1 teams) something they don't want to show for sometime now.

Bob Brown

the BMW's exhaust looks like the current shortened exhaust of the Ferrari, so pretty much looks legal to me as long as it is shortened.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

F1Technical - Ferrari launch brand new F60
The KERS on the F60... is centrally mounted on the engine under the rear part of the chassis.
Centrally behind the engine, between it and the monocoque (chassis)? And under the fuel tank? Like in the video below, taken from one of my posts in the KERS thread:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLdepyyu ... re=related[/youtube]
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Re: 2009 Ferrari

Where are the front brake ducts? :wtf:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.