[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
etusch

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

Wynters wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 16:37
etusch wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 23:39
ham said that he was.pushing and I believe that. He make.many time fastest laps.
Why would he push? His lap times clearly show him cruising. During his 27 lap stint, he only had four laps in the 1:18s and the quickest was a 1:18.611. Bottas drove a shorter stint (only 21 laps), but his average matched Hamilton's best time and Bottas fastest lap was a 1:17.655

Do we really think Hamilton was on the ragged edge? Or is it more likely he had turned everything down as low as it could go? Given Hamilton's staggering record of 69(?) point scoring finishes from the last 70(?) races, I suspect he prioritises looking after the car at every opportunity.
he pushed many laps before first stop and after that too but of course not whole race. Bottas pushed with low fuel load.

etusch

Red Bull Racing team boss Christian Horner is still convinced of the potential of the RB16, although the Brit admits that the team is struggling to unlock it. The car still has many question marks and is occasionally unpredictable. We still don't understand it, it's complicated'.

When driving on the edge, Verstappen says it is difficult to control the car. Horner also sees that and another problem. 'There's a big difference between what happens inside the factory and outside on the track,' says Horner. 'In real life, it's different then what we expect from the simulations.'

Horner remains optimistic about potential RB16
'We do know for sure that we've built a good car. The RB16 has a lot of ammunition, we just have to unlock it,' says Horner. The problem must be in the aerodynamics. At certain times everything works as it should, which keeps the Brit optimistic. 'We got a lot of data by finishing with two cars,' he reports to SpeedWeek.

The team is working hard to find the cause behind the fickleness of the RB16 and how to fix it. 'Of course, we are happy with Max' fantastic race but we also know that Mercedes is way ahead of us. That gap is huge. We need to see how far we can catch up with them'. Silverstone will have to be better after the necessary analyses, according to the team boss.

Wynters
Wynters

etusch wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 19:06
Wynters wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 16:37
etusch wrote:
19 Jul 2020, 23:39
ham said that he was.pushing and I believe that. He make.many time fastest laps.
Why would he push? His lap times clearly show him cruising. During his 27 lap stint, he only had four laps in the 1:18s and the quickest was a 1:18.611. Bottas drove a shorter stint (only 21 laps), but his average matched Hamilton's best time and Bottas fastest lap was a 1:17.655

Do we really think Hamilton was on the ragged edge? Or is it more likely he had turned everything down as low as it could go? Given Hamilton's staggering record of 69(?) point scoring finishes from the last 70(?) races, I suspect he prioritises looking after the car at every opportunity.
he pushed many laps before first stop and after that too but of course not whole race. Bottas pushed with low fuel load.
It might look like that Hamilton was pushing compared to Bottas, but Bottas was stuck behind Leclerc, Grosjean and then Stroll for almost his entire first stint so his pace is not at all representative. Despite that, nearly a third of his laps were faster than Hamilton's. Hamilton who, from lap 8 through to his pitstop, lapped at a a surprisingly consistent pace. 1:21.2 is his fastest and his slowest is a sub 1:22.4

Looking at his times, Hamilton just looks like he's cruising out front with everything turned down. Otherwise, in free air, he should be comfortably obliterating a Mercedes stuck behind much slower cars/drivers.

What about his times make you think he pushed after his second stop?

godlameroso

Will the half second gap translate to Silverstone? It's a high speed circuit, with corners similar to Spa and Suzuka. In fact the lap times at Silverstone and Suzuka are roughly the same in an F1 car.
Saishū kōnā

Wouter

Bis zum nächsten Rennen in Silverstone in zwei Wochen will Red Bull das Auto nun wieder in die Spur bringen. "Wir glauben den Fehler gefunden zu haben, der im Bereich der Aerodynamik liegt. In Silverstone wissen wir, ob wir das Problem gelöst haben und das Auto für die Fahrer nicht mehr so unberechenbar ist", ist sich Marko sicher.
Red Bull wants to get the car back on track until the next race in Silverstone in two weeks. "We think we have found the fault that lies in the area of aerodynamics. At Silverstone, we know whether we have solved the problem and whether the car is no longer so unpredictable for the drivers," says Marko.
This is stated in the last paragraph of this article:

https://www.sport1.de/motorsport/formel ... en-schnell
The Power of Dreams!

etusch

Wouter wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 20:17
Bis zum nächsten Rennen in Silverstone in zwei Wochen will Red Bull das Auto nun wieder in die Spur bringen. "Wir glauben den Fehler gefunden zu haben, der im Bereich der Aerodynamik liegt. In Silverstone wissen wir, ob wir das Problem gelöst haben und das Auto für die Fahrer nicht mehr so unberechenbar ist", ist sich Marko sicher.
Red Bull wants to get the car back on track until the next race in Silverstone in two weeks. "We think we have found the fault that lies in the area of aerodynamics. At Silverstone, we know whether we have solved the problem and whether the car is no longer so unpredictable for the drivers," says Marko.
This is stated in the last paragraph of this article:

https://www.sport1.de/motorsport/formel ... en-schnell
hope it is true

HPD

── While Albon was chasing Charles Leclerc (Ferrari), he wirelessly complained that he wanted more power. How did Honda respond to that?

Tanabe TD: I switched to power mode. Not only at this time but this time, while watching the race situation, I tried to use the power unit (PU) relatively pushily. It means that the PU side will contribute as much as possible to increase the relative fighting power. That was done not only for Albon, but for all four. That's how I used it as needed during the race.

──I saw white smoke rising from the machine of Pierre Guthrie (Alpha Tauri Honda), but was there any damage on the PU side?

Tanabe: It looked pretty bad (laughs), but the data shows no damage to the PU. Just in case, I'll check it from now on.

── We started on wet roads, and that situation continued in the early stages. Wasn't there any problem with the engine setting on a wet road surface?

Tanabe TD: Sure, I couldn't run on a wet road this weekend, but I was able to understand what kind of behavior it might have by analyzing limited data. Based on that, we have taken measures for setting. As a result, there were no negative comments from the driver.

──I have the impression that the power unit is different from Mercedes. How do you plan to catch up with you in the future? Development is frozen this season. Is there any way to catch up?

Tanabe: I think that improving the usage will be the main area of ​​improvement. Silverstone for the next race will have a completely different setting than this time, but I will do my best with a sharp usage.

── It is expected that one race will use 8 races this season. The latest specification, Spec 1.1, aims to further improve durability and widen the range that can be used in the race, but does this race make good use of it?

Tanabe TD: That's right. It goes without saying that we will fight within the range of durability confirmed by the bench test, but the absolute value of durability has definitely risen due to spec 1.1. That means that you contributed this time.

── On the other hand, did you mean that you had a little bit of restraint in the opening two races?

Tanabe TD: Not really. After all, the total amount of savings is fixed. It's about changing the way we think about how to use it and when it will be used up.

──Are you proactively borrowing money?

Tanabe TD: It's not an advance loan. What is the best way to use the PU to improve the current situation? As a result, it means that you pushed this time.

── Was that how you used it, such as the last five laps that were chased by Bottas?

Tanabe TD: Yes, that's right.

https://www.as-web.jp/f1/602825/2

Marti_EF3

Hungary Race Pace

Best Sectors

Stint 1

Stint 2

Stint 3

godlameroso

The pace gap to Mercedes is really about half a second per lap so far. Race pace is clearly second best car at the moment. I hope they unlock the performance of the car, if it's an aero issue I feel that the bargeboards and rear end need some refinement. The front end works well, but the rear end is affected by the bargeboards tremendously. Since the bargeboards and turning vanes by the side pods condition airflow towards the diffuser, that area can make or brake your aero consistency. The rear wing also doesn't look as highly developed as the rear wing on the Mercedes.

If I were Red Bull I would focus on the bargeboards and the rear wing, and the suspension. Not only is this where their aero consistency problem comes from, but those areas are going to be very critical next year due to the clipped floor. Since the bargeboards will have to do in essence what the floor slots do now.
Saishū kōnā

bigblue

If I were Red Bull I woud focus on finding the conditions where the aero goes to pot, and fix the parts that allow this condition to occur. I don't know how you can just randomly pick some part of the car and say the problem's there, when Newey, plus one of the best design groups in F1, plus a whole bunch of CFD time, plus windtunnel work, have been used to design the car, and its still gone wrong. I'd imagine it's a bit more complex than just feeling it's this part or that.

etusch

godlameroso wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 16:37
The pace gap to Mercedes is really about half a second per lap so far. Race pace is clearly second best car at the moment. I hope they unlock the performance of the car, if it's an aero issue I feel that the bargeboards and rear end need some refinement. The front end works well, but the rear end is affected by the bargeboards tremendously. Since the bargeboards and turning vanes by the side pods condition airflow towards the diffuser, that area can make or brake your aero consistency. The rear wing also doesn't look as highly developed as the rear wing on the Mercedes.

If I were Red Bull I would focus on the bargeboards and the rear wing, and the suspension. Not only is this where their aero consistency problem comes from, but those areas are going to be very critical next year due to the clipped floor. Since the bargeboards will have to do in essence what the floor slots do now.
I think first step is understanding what is the problem. before understanding it, every work will be wrong. Of course they may be forced to make trial and error if they can not find it out.
Another issue is their office works not match with real world and they can only finish their car when they start to drive it on track. This was the case for recent years but this time it is more obvious. They were talking about being late to finish car and because of that they are slow but this season we and they realised that that was not the case. When we look at Mercedes they were generally fuly ready even from first day. Redbull must reach this level of office track correlation.

McMika98
McMika98

“The closer or the better high rake solution that you have, the bigger the risk of changing to something else,” he said.

“With us, we've been wanting to do it forever. We buy our gearbox from Mercedes, where that gearbox is designed with a low centre of gravity, so we always had compromises at the rear of the car, where the downforce is critical to have a stable rear end.

“We always wanted to get away from the high rake solution because of the compromise at the rear of the car.This was the first year look we were able to change
There you have it, the crux of Redbulls problem with the unstable rear. Mclaren, Force India have now gone in other direction to have a balanced car that the drivers can push. Redbull have a tough job in hand.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

De Merc has always been low-rake. Is that possible because of an overhead in power?

godlameroso

bigblue wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 18:31
If I were Red Bull I woud focus on finding the conditions where the aero goes to pot, and fix the parts that allow this condition to occur. I don't know how you can just randomly pick some part of the car and say the problem's there, when Newey, plus one of the best design groups in F1, plus a whole bunch of CFD time, plus windtunnel work, have been used to design the car, and its still gone wrong. I'd imagine it's a bit more complex than just feeling it's this part or that.
Why do you think I just picked these parts at random? You think it's just a gut feeling? How did you come to that conclusion?

Where is the handling instablity? From what I see on the onboards the corrections happen right before the apex. IE once the suspension is loaded. What part of the aero package is trying to keep the aero stable under yaw? The bargeboards and rear wing end plates. The side pod end plates which help guide air over the engine cover. If you want more consistent aero, you work on those sections, this will pay off next year as well.
Saishū kōnā

langedweil

etusch wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 18:59
When we look at Mercedes they were generally fuly ready even from first day. Redbull must reach this level of office track correlation.
One should not forget that Merc usually by this time of the year have almost all focus on next years car, simply because of they're so far ahead the WDC/WCC is secured. That's one of the biggest benefits of being the dominant team ...
HuggaWugga !