[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
the EDGE
the EDGE

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

hecan wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 14:48
haza wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 14:11
the EDGE wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 14:02

Don't forget all 3 compounds are a step softer already for this weekend and its going to be hot... very hot!.

Also Pirelli are increasing the minimum tyre pressure. That could affect the performance of some more than others
I thought Pirelli where bring the pressure down by 1 psi
As far as I know, if you bring the pressure down you'll increase the contact patch. This would mean your tyres suffer even more when turning.
Before a tyre is put on the car it is perfectly round. The weight of the car causes the part touching the ground to flatten (the contact patch) so yes, softer tyres = bigger contact patch.

However, that is not the reason. As a wheel rotates 100s of times a second that co tact patch is continuously moved around the tyre Like a wave and this is what causes the stress on the sidewall as it continuously deforms the shape and creates immense heat in doing so

By increasing pressure you make the tyre firmer so the sidewall deforms less, creating less heat and stress

diffuser

McG wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 05:58
mwillems wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 10:12
djos wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 08:11
Don't get me wrong, I think Max is a superstar but, Daniel can be just as fast or faster and the history of them together backs that up.
Yeah I get what you're saying, I think the history backs that up, but the history is nearly 2 years old and I think it has changed since then in Max's favour. I don't like Max particularly in terms of how he comes across, but I do think he has developed a lot since Ricciardo left.
You're just kind of making stuff up when there are actual facts available. Not good.
Hard to tell this year, he seems to have been out by himself alot in races. Although he has managed to keep his nose clean at the beginning of races. That had been his achilles heel.

Chicane
Chicane

Will there be bits on the car this weekend? Philipm had mentioned about some bits or refinements coming through. Will be interesting to see what they are
Quickshifter

McG

mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 10:48
McG wrote:
mwillems wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 10:12

Yeah I get what you're saying, I think the history backs that up, but the history is nearly 2 years old and I think it has changed since then in Max's favour. I don't like Max particularly in terms of how he comes across, but I do think he has developed a lot since Ricciardo left.
You're just kind of making stuff up when there are actual facts available. Not good.
No I'm saying the facts are out of date, and my opinion is that Max has improved, which is fine.

You might want to try and argue against that, but I think you'll find it a perfectly valid method of discussion around the world. I think the difficulties only begin when people present opinion as fact, which I'm not.
I believe in science, reason, evidence and facts. Those aren't opinions. You believe in your own opinion vs recent evidence and that's worse than presenting an opinion as fact.

It's akin to someone who has a religious faith who believes in creationism, when presented with evidence of evolution they don't want to hear or see it.

You believe with no evidence that in a very short time an excellent driver has surpassed another excellent driver and would beat him over a full season in the same car, or to show that he would clearly be faster. Drivers of this top level usually already have their raw speed which is at a very high level and doesn't get faster. What changes for the better is what has been discussed already, less unforced errors, which all adds up at the end of a season.

Of course I don't know and you don't know. But the difference is I look at available evidence which you choose to ignore and opt for your opinion.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

mwillems

McG wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 16:58
mwillems wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 10:48
McG wrote:

No I'm saying the facts are out of date, and my opinion is that Max has improved, which is fine.

You might want to try and argue against that, but I think you'll find it a perfectly valid method of discussion around the world. I think the difficulties only begin when people present opinion as fact, which I'm not.
I believe in science, reason, evidence and facts. Those aren't opinions. You believe in your own opinion vs recent evidence and that's worse than presenting an opinion as fact.

It's akin to someone who has a religious faith who believes in creationism, when presented with evidence of evolution they don't want to hear or see it.

You believe with no evidence that in a very short time an excellent driver has surpassed another excellent driver and would beat him over a full season in the same car, or to show that he would clearly be faster. Drivers of this top level usually already have their raw speed which is at a very high level and doesn't get faster. What changes for the better is what has been discussed already, less unforced errors, which all adds up at the end of a season.

Of course I don't know and you don't know. But the difference is I look at available evidence which you choose to ignore and opt for your opinion.

Errm, no I think things have changed since they raced together and think Max has come on leaps and bounds. It's not opinion that he has sorted out his dirty record, is now consistently fast without the incidents and more level headed. He seems to be a much better championship racer than he was in 2018 against Ric.

Since they have not raced in the same car since 2018, opinion becomes more to the fore, and the further away that battle gets, the less relevant fact of it is.

Some examples of opinions:

Drivers opinion of best drivers of 2019:
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... cUBAV.html

Team principles opinion of best drivers of 2019:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... BNv4Q.html

So whilst I respect your opinion, and perhaps everyone is wrong about Daniel (I wouldn't place him as low as the drivers and principles would), I don't think he's near Max right now either. I'm not posting this because it makes me right, it is all just opinion (Actually from the teams it will be based on data as well, as they know roughly how pacey the cars are)

Of course you could have an average driver who turns into a diamond if the car is set up just right and might go one tenth faster then another driver, who can drive every setup and car to a consistently high level, but not as fast as the guy gets a car set to his sweet spot.

There's so much to factor in that we can't make a decision here, but yeah, for me, Max is a stellar driver now and one of the very best of the current crop.
Last edited by mwillems on 05 Aug 2020, 19:05, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Wynters
Wynters

McG wrote:
Drivers of this top level usually already have their raw speed which is at a very high level and doesn't get faster. What changes for the better is what has been discussed already, less unforced errors, which all adds up at the end of a season.
I think there's evidence that knowledge is bit more important than that. There's evidence of drivers developing a better understanding of the tyres and fuel saving. Both of those two are crucial to lap time.

I suspect there are other areas as well (getting better and faster at car setup springs to mind) let alone the psychological benefits.

Ask yourself this: How do you think Hamilton of today would do against Hamilton of 2007, over the course of an incident-free race between the two of them, in identical equipment and with no sharing of data?

What are the odds of old Hamilton winning? 50/50? 51/49?

I think it's about 95/05. And I suspect I'm being too generous giving 2007 Hamilton (a driver who beat Alonso) a 5% chance.

mwillems

Wynters wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 17:49
McG wrote:
Drivers of this top level usually already have their raw speed which is at a very high level and doesn't get faster. What changes for the better is what has been discussed already, less unforced errors, which all adds up at the end of a season.
I think there's evidence that knowledge is bit more important than that. There's evidence of drivers developing a better understanding of the tyres and fuel saving. Both of those two are crucial to lap time.

I suspect there are other areas as well (getting better and faster at car setup springs to mind) let alone the psychological benefits.

Ask yourself this: How do you think Hamilton of today would do against Hamilton of 2007, over the course of an incident-free race between the two of them, in identical equipment and with no sharing of data?

What are the odds of old Hamilton winning? 50/50? 51/49?

I think it's about 95/05. And I suspect I'm being too generous giving 2007 Hamilton (a driver who beat Alonso) a 5% chance.
Considerably better put than my reply.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Jackles-UK

Paul di Resta confirmed as reserve driver if either main driver contracts the virus. Interesting choice, if a little left-field. I guess this is one of the issues with bubbles and the shortage of drivers with a super licence.

Big Tea

Jackles-UK wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 20:26
Paul di Resta confirmed as reserve driver if either main driver contracts the virus. Interesting choice, if a little left-field. I guess this is one of the issues with bubbles and the shortage of drivers with a super licence.
My immediate thought was WTF??? but after a few seconds, I thought, hang on, who else is there ?? Rosberg? Sutil? Alonso, Button. I do not see any of those doing it.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

nevill3

So the ruleis that a driver has to have raced within the last three seasons, so who else is available. When did Button do the race at Monaco for Alonso?
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Wynters
Wynters

Big Tea wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 21:19
Jackles-UK wrote:
My immediate thought was WTF??? but after a few seconds, I thought, hang on, who else is there ?? Rosberg? Sutil? Alonso, Button. I do not see any of those doing it.
Ant Davidson? He's got the simulator time and, in the simulator, he tries to emulate the driving style of whichever driver he is simming for so it shouldn't be a big step into the car.

The issue will be the Super licence. I wonder how easy it would be to keep one 'ticking over'?

Macklaren
Macklaren

Wynters wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 21:42

The issue will be the Super licence. I wonder how easy it would be to keep one 'ticking over'?
you need live track time in an F1 car for 300km, which is very hard unless you were a former primary driver or a very strong backup (like KUB for instance you does a lot of FP1s)

Big Tea

Wynters wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 21:42
Big Tea wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 21:19
Jackles-UK wrote:
Ant Davidson? He's got the simulator time and, in the simulator, he tries to emulate the driving style of whichever driver he is simming for so it shouldn't be a big step into the car.

Yeh, I think both he and Chandok have expired. Is it 3 years?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Lucky
Lucky

haza
haza

Lucky wrote:
06 Aug 2020, 13:21
Rumors about James Key in Ferrari
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... n=widget-1
Find this one hard to believe considering he’s only just been able to do his first car at MaC