[ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bruno958
bruno958

Re: [ 2020 ] Scuderia Ferrari - Ferrari

C Plinius Secundus wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 23:30
I've heard some very interesting statements from Mattia Binotto, where he says the team "is in a storm", but "not in crisis"... I'm kind of puzzled by this, if he says this just in order to address the journalists, for many italians and tifosi (me included), it's a bad joke, almost infuriating (the italian press is asking for some heads to roll), but if he really believes it, it's actually worse. Is he disconnected from reality? Binotto is an excellent engineer, but as I said previously, the team principal position is not suited for him. Sad.
I am with you man...I am bitter about this situation. I was a passionate tifoso for Ferrari. Used to go to Montreal every year to cheer for them. I have lost total faith in them. I am convinced they have no clue on what to do. The rumor is that they are trying to hire technologists from other teams but without much success. It is truly embarrassing.

elf341
elf341

I think it would be a lot more relatable to fans if they simply admitted the truth, and that they are now frantically trying to adjust to having floor removed beneath their feet. This whole "everyone has lost power over the winter" is meaningless, when it is plain to see that Ferrari have lost 1-1.5s a lap comparatively to Merc/RB, and all the other Ferrari cars are nowhere too. Acting like it is business as usual is so disingenious.

It is hard to believe that one aspect on engine performance (was it oil burning?) was so central, so pivotal for the Ferrari engine to even be on level footing with the others.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

They should lockup Binotto in Mugello, not to come out without a decent powerunit. Let Domenicali run the team.

Jolle
Jolle

NL_Fer wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 17:36
They should lockup Binotto in Mugello, not to come out without a decent powerunit. Let Domenicali run the team.
Mugello? not Maranello? if they are looking for a good engine in Mugello... yeah.. that explains a lot...

mattylwd
mattylwd

C Plinius Secundus wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 23:30
I've heard some very interesting statements from Mattia Binotto, where he says the team "is in a storm", but "not in crisis"... I'm kind of puzzled by this, if he says this just in order to address the journalists, for many italians and tifosi (me included), it's a bad joke, almost infuriating (the italian press is asking for some heads to roll), but if he really believes it, it's actually worse. Is he disconnected from reality? Binotto is an excellent engineer, but as I said previously, the team principal position is not suited for him. Sad.
Remember all the hate against Abiteboul past years. It takes some time to reform a team. Don't forget Binotto only is teamprinciple since begin 2019. If he's capable, he needs some time to reform the team.

MtthsMlw

Vasseur seems like a nice guy but I'd stay with Binotto for now.

falonso81

Can we just say that the SF1000 is the worst car Ferrari has produced for like 30 years? I was not watching F1 back in 92-93 but i remember those 2 years they had a pretty bad car.

falonso81

Delete pls

MtthsMlw

falonso81 wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 21:19
Can we just say that the SF1000 is the worst car Ferrari has produced for like 30 years? I was not watching F1 back in 92-93 but i remember those 2 years they had a pretty bad car.
Will be a tough battle with the F60 and F14T.

Scorpaguy

I would be all for keeping Bino if he was delivering. However, he took over a team that had posted dramatic gains in 2017 and 2018. The 2019 car seemed to be designed with Bonneville in mind and was a total dog after fuelgate. The 2020 model seems worse. Strategy calls seem incoherent...and late at that. Pit stops and reliability inconsistent. Just how many years is he allowed to reside upon the descending side of the bell curve?

Mamba
Mamba

I think this storm has been brewing for some time. Remember the Ferrari upgrades for Singapore 2018 that had to be stripped away in subsequent races? Those were the first signs of aero issues. Pretty sure Vettel wildly over drove that car as both RB & Merc were adding improvements while Ferrari reverted to pre summer break aero parts. Sergio Marcionne's passing also gave rise to the two factions of Arrivabene and Binotto only adding fuel to the smoldering title chance.

Side note: People throwing around if's & buts always say Hamilton would have won in the 2018 Ferrari. Giving a very large part of Merc's sucess is their stability with good people in the right places unlike Ferrari in recent years I very much doubt it.

2019 came with a beast of an engine that post summer break started to really trundle down some grey area. They also seemed to finally fix some of the aero issues post summer break seen by the sudden increase in performance only for the FIA to clarify the grey areas leaving Ferrari operating solidly in the black.

Come 2020 and we have an engine that seems mediocre at best, with a pretty poor chassis to boot. I am a massive supporter of Ferrari, but I fear a very long road ahead. They should get their cheque books out and hire the best they can if they want a turn around in performance.

Mercedes are going from strength to strength and with the FIA very intent on not changing anything in the rules to very much hurt them we will be set for a difficult five years more if somebody doesn't get 2022 right.

dren

Perhaps Ferrari had to change more than just what made them fast on the straights last year. It might have been something they had implemented and developed for years that got banned. They had a dog of a PU in the early years of the regulations. Their design direction could have gone in a grey area that's been since banned. Their cars the last few years have been race winners. I wouldn't think they'd all of a sudden produce a bad car, especially since it looks like an evolution.
Honda!

holeindalip
holeindalip

dren wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 12:28
Perhaps Ferrari had to change more than just what made them fast on the straights last year. It might have been something they had implemented and developed for years that got banned. They had a dog of a PU in the early years of the regulations. Their design direction could have gone in a grey area that's been since banned. Their cars the last few years have been race winners. I wouldn't think they'd all of a sudden produce a bad car, especially since it looks like an evolution.
14’ was the only bad power unit, 2015 they came firing on all cylinders and then comes 2020 and looks like they are back to running on 5 cylinders....

Schippke
Schippke

Mamba wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 07:59
Sergio Marcionne's passing also gave rise to the two factions of Arrivabene and Binotto only adding fuel to the smoldering title chance.
I ponder how things at Ferrari would've played out, had Sergio Marchionne not passed. Maybe things would've been the same as they are now, maybe things would've been vastly different... but he did have a form of authority there and arguably results were starting to come his way between him taking over and leading up to his passing... we'll never know.

falonso81

MtthsMlw wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 21:56
falonso81 wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 21:19
Will be a tough battle with the F60 and F14T.
Well, the F60 won a race, which i highly doubt the SF1000 can. The F14T on the other hand was not as bad. It was frequent point scorer :mrgreen: