Ferrari SF1000

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LM10
LM10

Re: Ferrari SF1000

Schippke wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 18:55
LM10 wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 18:28
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 09:49

Drag is something all the teams are constantly looking to reduce at all times and in every configuration(low, med, and high downforce configurations). If they designed the car for high downforce then they would have been faster in S2 this weekend, they weren't. There is something they don't understand about the car, it is producing far more drag than they estimated it would in the design process. They need to stay focused and figure out why the car is so aerodynamically inefficient.
They were 4 tenths faster in S2 compared to last year. And that's with significantly less power.
S2 might be a downforce section by Spa standards, but it still has quite a few parts where sheer engine power puts you in a clearly better position. The SF1000 surely lost in these mini sections, but it gained enough to be 4 tenths faster at the end.
There was mention that Ferrari ran a somewhat compromised setup in Spa in the hope of rain making an appearance during the race; If they ran more downforce as a result of that, it could explain the noticeable improvement in pace of Sector 2 compared to last year.
Last year's car was a rocket on the straights. Do you think they would have not put every possible bit of downforce on the car, if it was that easy? A setup leaned more towards rain won't simply give you efficient and clean downforce you need. The design of last year's car just didn't allow it.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

LM10 wrote:
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
LM10 wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 08:57

In the longer period I don't expect Ferrari to radically change the car to a lower downforce/drag one because their 2021 PU should be a significant step forward considering their current PU was hit late with TDs and they rushed with the building of it (as per AMuS).
The SF1000's biggest issue is that it was designed with a really powerful PU in mind. It's like having a big guy being used to his heart performance and suddenly suffering from severe heart insufficiency. He'll need to get used to it as well and get medication to reduce symptoms, but the best to be back to normal conditions will be to get a new heart. Ferrari's heart is insufficient right now and they try to medicate it, but the best cure will be a new and more powerful one come 2021.
Drag is something all the teams are constantly looking to reduce at all times and in every configuration(low, med, and high downforce configurations). If they designed the car for high downforce then they would have been faster in S2 this weekend, they weren't. There is something they don't understand about the car, it is producing far more drag than they estimated it would in the design process. They need to stay focused and figure out why the car is so aerodynamically inefficient.
They were 4 tenths faster in S2 compared to last year. And that's with significantly less power.
S2 might be a downforce section by Spa standards, but it still has quite a few parts where sheer engine power puts you in a clearly better position. The SF1000 surely lost in these mini sections, but it gained enough to be 4 tenths faster at the end.
Very good catch, I forgot that they were faster in s2 compared to '19.

nico5

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 20:45
LM10 wrote:
ENGINE TUNER wrote:

Very good catch, I forgot that they were faster in s2 compared to '19.
Only a blind man could not see how quicker the track was this weekend compared to last year. Last year pole was significantly slower than the best lap in 2018 (42.5 vs 41.5) which wasn't the case on any other track. On top of that, they resurfaced many exits, allowing drivers to push track limits more (T7,T14, last corner), so that 0.4s improvement is actually ridiculous compared to everyone else. Which should ring some bells... They would have been considerably slower than the SF90 around S2 in the same conditions of 2019.

wowgr8
wowgr8

LM10 wrote:

In the longer period I don't expect Ferrari to radically change the car to a lower downforce/drag one because their 2021 PU should be a significant step forward considering their current PU was hit late with TDs and they rushed with the building of it (as per AMuS).
The SF1000's biggest issue is that it was designed with a really powerful PU in mind. It's like having a big guy being used to his heart performance and suddenly suffering from severe heart insufficiency. He'll need to get used to it as well and get medication to reduce symptoms, but the best to be back to normal conditions will be to get a new heart. Ferrari's heart is insufficient right now and they try to medicate it, but the best cure will be a new and more powerful one come 2021.
I really can't see any big leaps coming in 1 year (especially a covid affected one). If it was that simple they would never have gone as far as manipulating the fuel flow meter. They'll still have the weakest engine next year I feel. If they don't they'll have pulled off a small miracle

wowgr8
wowgr8

LM10 wrote:
[

Softer tyres this year. It's why they only lost half a second across the whole lap this year vs the SF90. That gap should have been around 1.4 seconds or more around Spa

wowgr8
wowgr8

It's completely insane to me that they don't even have a qualifying mode. It's as though once they decided to go down the "tricks" direction they said they would no longer develop the traditional ICE. It's all the way back in 2017. Even if the engine is 3 years old how doesn't it have a qualifying mode? Really baffling

Big Tea

Of course, we do not know what was 'removed from the arsenal' of Ferrari. It may have been something that was not only used to find this extra power boost, but something essential to run the whole Air/fuel/spark/ERS/MGUH&K etc.

If Ferrari had designed and used some sort of 'super unit' and that was what was found to be in contravention, then it is back to the parts bin from a few years back for everything that was in that unit, and/or controlled by it.

To go backwards beyond what would have been the baseline unit seems strange. If it was 'just' the item giving the little extra removed, it should still leave them at C~ normal race mode. It seems deeper than that
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

holeindalip
holeindalip

Big Tea wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 20:26
Of course, we do not know what was 'removed from the arsenal' of Ferrari. It may have been something that was not only used to find this extra power boost, but something essential to run the whole Air/fuel/spark/ERS/MGUH&K etc.

If Ferrari had designed and used some sort of 'super unit' and that was what was found to be in contravention, then it is back to the parts bin from a few years back for everything that was in that unit, and/or controlled by it.

To go backwards beyond what would have been the baseline unit seems strange. If it was 'just' the item giving the little extra removed, it should still leave them at C~ normal race mode. It seems deeper than that
Less ice energy=less for the ers and it’s a whole big cycle. They lost out big time when they got that taken away....

Harvester
Harvester

holeindalip wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 21:33
Big Tea wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 20:26

Less ice energy=less for the ers and it’s a whole big cycle. They lost out big time when they got that taken away....
I also think that all this somehow affected their PU reliability and that may be reason they don't have qualy mode this year. I feel like they can not run the PU at full power at all because of that.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

wowgr8 wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 00:33
LM10 wrote:

I really can't see any big leaps coming in 1 year (especially a covid affected one). If it was that simple they would never have gone as far as manipulating the fuel flow meter. They'll still have the weakest engine next year I feel. If they don't they'll have pulled off a small miracle
I disagree here. There is no reason why they can't have a completely new, much power powerful ICE next season. They have hopefully been working on it all year and will continue to do so, while ALL resources have been REMOVED from this year's engine development. Don't spend another man hour or dime on this year's pig. This season is over. Ferrari knows that.

Don't forget, Binotto is from the engine department. Here's his chance to show us how clever he is and do what it takes to get a new PU up to speed for next season.

Schippke
Schippke

Ringleheim wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 05:27
wowgr8 wrote:
I disagree here. There is no reason why they can't have a completely new, much power powerful ICE next season. They have hopefully been working on it all year and will continue to do so, while ALL resources have been REMOVED from this year's engine development. Don't spend another man hour or dime on this year's pig. This season is over. Ferrari knows that.

Don't forget, Binotto is from the engine department. Here's his chance to show us how clever he is and do what it takes to get a new PU up to speed for next season.
Ferrari most likely will have a more powerful ICE next season, but so will Mercedes, Renault and Honda. As was mentioned above, nobody knows exactly what and by how much Ferrari's power unit was effected by the technical clarifications and the settlement with the FIA... hopefully they can offset the gains the others make and claw back some ground, but realistically I don't think they'll be at the levels of Renault and Honda (forget Mercedes) in time for next season. Reliability also comes into play if they truly need to have a completely new ICE too, whilst the others can continue with their evolutions of their current layouts.

In all of this, I also feel for Haas and Sauber; With a decent ICE in the back, I reckon they'd all be in the thick of the midfield action; Haas especially considering the torrid season they had last year.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

wowgr8
wowgr8

Ringleheim wrote:
03 Sep 2020, 05:27
wowgr8 wrote:

They can't build a brand new engine from scratch in 1 year and especially not when they plan to be competitive. Next year's engine will be an evolution of this one. Binotto/Ferrari's way of showing us they're clever was to play with the fuel flow. Which was clever I guess but the wrong thing to do, now we're paying the price for them focusing on those tricks instead of pushing the limits within the regulations

You say up to speed, what do you mean? Because if the benchmark is Mercedes or even Honda's 2021(!) engines they have no chance of catching up. I also read that the 2020 Renault engine is more powerful than Honda's fwtw

collindsilva
collindsilva

Ferrari should have had a alternate plan since FIA would have found out about the illegal engine issues one day or the other, what was their backup options. they should have run a parallel development to achieve the result without having to play with the fuel flow.

Sevach
Sevach

Downforce? What's that?