[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
tangodjango
tangodjango

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

NL_Fer wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 21:07
TNTHead wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 20:27
Quite a good result for Max, but a poor drive by Albon. What annoys me is that for several races now there is no real fight at the front, it look like just cruising. I know that VER delivers, closely to the max of his car. But it's also for the fans a challenge to keep motivated. I mean, it was a race full of action, but only in the midfield pack (starting from RIC and further down). Most interesting for this race was seeing RIC again on a podium. Very nice for the Renault guys.
It has been this way since Rosberg retired. Even Vettel vs Hamilton wasn’t a real fight on track. Some races the Ferrari was fast, but most races the Merc was faster.
Yeah but now when I look back at those seasons I definitely feel there was more to come out of the cars. Atleast Alonso/Leclerc would have done better in my view. Now I don't feel that way about 2015 because Vettel had a truly great season, but 2017/2018 I think they could have nicked one with a better driver.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

lio007

Marti_EF3 wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 21:02
That means nothing, at least if you want to be a top team, and not a B team :lol:
For sure, I know. And I still hope it won't be the Renault-customer solution.

Sieper

But if they spoke with De Meo I think it is unlikely a Honda continuation project is in the cards. Too expensive, then it will be Mecachrome units until 2026 or earlier if FIA pushes it forwards. Which they need to do as we need more parties entering F1. Not less and less.

Marti_EF3

Sieper wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 21:28
But if they spoke with De Meo I think it is unlikely a Honda continuation project is in the cards. Too expensive, then it will be Mecachrome units until 2026 or earlier if FIA pushes it forwards. Which they need to do as we need more parties entering F1. Not less and less.
Then say goodbye to RB like you know now. It will be good to see them playing around midfield again like its early days. And IMHO it will be a loser decision to go back to customer Renault

Sieper

I don’t want that either. But if he went to the hospitality unit (and he was on track here in the first place even) that means something. Likely Mateschitz thinks a semi-own engine project too expensive?

It might not be all bad. Maybe It means FIA will pull the new engine regs forward And then redbull can have its own engine, or engine supplier then and return to Renault in the years between.

Marti_EF3

Well, we will know soon. But all those Mugen rumours... If they finally get that Renault PU, then I will be happy if they are behind Renault in 2022. You want to save a few money now, and adjust your chasis to a PU designed to not fit your car? Go eat it

PlatinumZealot

Albone, be gone!

That's what i was thinking today. I want him to get better but it's just not happening. I can't bear it anymore. He should just resign or something for all our sakes.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 22:30
Albone, be gone!

That's what i was thinking today. I want him to get better but it's just not happening. I can't bear it anymore. He should just resign or something for all our sakes.
Last year they did a STR swap for all the wrong reasons, shame they have convinced themselves not to do it again this year.

Gasly is up for proving he is good enough, and Albon has had a beating and could do with some stress relief.
It would be a good thing for both of them and both teams
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

godlameroso

Verstappen lost the race in the second stint, on the first stint he was pretty level with Hamilton, looks like the Red Bull was better on the soft tire than it was on the medium. Verstappen pitted on lap 17, and at the start of the stint he was hanging with Hamilton, however about halfway into the stint, perhaps it was lapped traffic, or tire graining, or a balance issue, Verstappen's pace became erratic. The overall pace may have been there, but Hamilton was metronomic, absolutely consistent laps with out any hint of degradation. Perhaps the rears started wearing faster than the fronts creating a shift in balance? Then on the restart, DAS and Hamilton managed to use the engine power and warmer tires to get away, and from there it was race over.

Take aways from the race, the RB16 chassis has improved, but DAS was a big help on the restart, will be interesting to see Mercedes have to do without it next year. To a certain extent, I feel that some of the pace drop off was the power unit running out of ERS. The Mercedes power unit has incredible ERS stamina and can work their chassis can still work the tires better. Those two details make the difference vs the RB16 which is now on the verge of being the premier chassis on the grid. I really hope Honda can deliver next year, compared to this year, I expect a very decent step forward from them because they've had an entire year to develop with their brand new cylinder plating.

No point in worrying about 2022 yet when 2021 hasn't even started. There's a lot of data to go over, lots of details to iron out this year which will be critical from a chassis point next year. They are actually a little closer than they were at this point last year. I hope that the aero work from now until the end of the season will be on what can carry over to next year. We already know Hamilton won, he'd have to DNF 3 times in a row, and it's unlikely as it hasn't even happened once this year. Verstappen can still beat Bottas, so there's still something to play for.

Next race is Portimao, completely unknown track to F1, not even testing has happened here, and it's a recent track that most of the grid hasn't had much experience with. The simulator will be used heavily to prepare as best as possible. I've never been to this track either, my knowledge of it is from laser scanned tracks. I don't know how accurate the scans are as I never had the real thing to compare it to. From what I can see, the corners that matter are the ones that Red Bull is now particularly strong in, and should be stronger once they dial in the new package. It seems that the nature of the track puts the acceleration zones either downhill or uphill, and the end of the main straight is a sharp downhill, so maybe engine power while important is less relevant than in Nürburgring. This track is also shorter, I expect lap times similar to Mugello.

Dreadful race from Albon, retiring the car after destroying Kvyat's front wing in the worst possible place probably doesn't feel very nice.
Saishū kōnā

Lock2nl
Lock2nl

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Albone, be gone!

He is gone as far as I know. Starting in Portimao I expect Nico to take over the wheel.

Sieper

Somebody on youtube suggested he had never seen a driver fired mid race. Probably spot on.

I do feel for Albon. I like the guy and it was a big ask to make.

godlameroso

Lock2nl wrote:
11 Oct 2020, 23:23
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Albone, be gone!

He is gone as far as I know. Starting in Portimao I expect Nico to take over the wheel.
People don't realize how good Riccardo is, he's the only one that has even stood a chance against Verstappen and he was still .3 behind on average. You could put Alonso next to Verstappen, hell you could put Hamilton next to him and the gap would likely be similar to what he had on Riccardo.
Saishū kōnā

Sieper

Hamilton is better than Alonso and certainly better than Ricciardo. Ricci was not beating hulk By that much at Renault. I do agree Ric is very good though. In a Merc he could be champion as well. He is not worse than Rosberg.

GhostF1
GhostF1

Definitely a poor race from Alex. Too impatient this time, and ruined his own race.

Although the reason for his retirement has been clarified:

https://www.pitpass.com/68263/Eifel-GP- ... s-Red-Bull

"After that, the Team saw the temperatures rising and I was asked to box and then retire the car. It initially looked like a power unit issue from the data but the Team investigated and found that some debris had pierced the radiator system which led to the rising temperatures".

Racer X

So Albon was destined to eventually have bigger engine problems because of some debris.

I was trying to understand why Redbull pitted him with certainty.

How ever prior to retirement he was pretty much destroying his own race it seems. I wonder how long before Redbull get rid of him if he needed to convince them to keep him this race does not help his case.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ