[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 22:32
Just looked at the qualy pace of last seasons car to help gauge how Gasly and Albon did. Now looking at last season, and using Max vs Mercedes as the gauge (Ferrari were cheating in the 2nd half of the season so thats why I havent included them in the calculations)

The whole time Gasly was in the RedBull , Max averaged 0.529 behind Mercedes in qualifying.
The whole time Albon was in the RedBull, Max averaged 0.177 behind Mercedes in qualifying.

So the whole time Gasly had the car, it was nowhere near as competitive as when Albon had the car. This is why I believe Gasly is a much better driver than Albon. Add to this that Albon was outscored by Kvyat while they were team mates (Alb 16pts, Kvy 27pts), and Gasly had the better of Kvyat (Gas 32pts, Kvy 10pts) There is zero evidence that Albon is better than Gasly yet so many people seem to think Albon deserves to be there more than Gasly.
Not saying it is the case, but as Max is closer to the Mercs with Albon in the other car, could this benefit them?.

Better feedback? They get him in to look at the tyres at every opportunity, and he is so often on the opposite tyre to max so probably supplying information all race.

BTW, does he claim he was bumped?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NathanOlder

Big Tea wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 22:40
NathanOlder wrote:
Just looked at the qualy pace of last seasons car to help gauge how Gasly and Albon did. Now looking at last season, and using Max vs Mercedes as the gauge (Ferrari were cheating in the 2nd half of the season so thats why I havent included them in the calculations)

The whole time Gasly was in the RedBull , Max averaged 0.529 behind Mercedes in qualifying.
The whole time Albon was in the RedBull, Max averaged 0.177 behind Mercedes in qualifying.

So the whole time Gasly had the car, it was nowhere near as competitive as when Albon had the car. This is why I believe Gasly is a much better driver than Albon. Add to this that Albon was outscored by Kvyat while they were team mates (Alb 16pts, Kvy 27pts), and Gasly had the better of Kvyat (Gas 32pts, Kvy 10pts) There is zero evidence that Albon is better than Gasly yet so many people seem to think Albon deserves to be there more than Gasly.
Not saying it is the case, but as Max is closer to the Mercs with Albon in the other car, could this benefit them?.

Better feedback? They get him in to look at the tyres at every opportunity, and he is so often on the opposite tyre to max so probably supplying information all race.

I think its just down to RedBull traditionally being stronger at the end of the season. They always start the season off pace with car problems, after the summer break they always get near the front and challenge for wins more often. So I think it was a simple case of this. Albon was luckier to be in the car when it was stronger.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Sieper

NathanOlder wrote:

First, why do you think so many people think Albon deserves it more. Many of us wanted to keep Gasly on, I certainly was fine with that. He had gotten the seat for that year, let him have it. But people were screaming for his blood. Now the same is happening. I am just saying, let Albon drive, it is now his year. But people are again screaming for blood.

That is one thing. people don’t think Albon deserves it that much more, they just want him to have his time. All that switching in season and the noise does not help anybody within RBR. Not at all.

Then your reasoning. Max won one race this year on merit and has 1 front row qualy. He won several last year and had pole on merit. RB15 was more competitive. Also, this year the party mode is gone and only since that happened the qualy gap has reduced. I know you follow F1 as closely as I so you can’t have forgotten. It surprises me the gap is only .177 the whole time Albon is in the car. I thought it larger. Do you have data of the gap for this year pre and post one engine mode?

Points is never a good thing. Gasly was incredibly lucky collecting 25 points in Monza. I don’t mean he drove bad, he drove great, but it was a perfect storm to be in that position. And Kvyat was on the podium in Germany last year. But only because they put him on the slicks early as he was so far behind Albon they could take the gamble with him, he had nothing to lose. Those are just 2 things of the top of my head, but those things skew the numbers, points say a lot, but the teams know the pace the drivers can achieve. Their decision making etc. Etc.

Their is likely much more than zero evidence. F.e. What people mentioned earlier, Albon was faster than Gasly after the switch. Both drove the RB15.

I don’t know who is better, they both are in F1 based on their junior series driving, not based on buying a seat.

nzjrs

Sieper wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 23:00

That is one thing. people don’t think Albon deserves it that much more, they just want him to have his time. All that switching in season and the noise does not help anybody within RBR. Not at all.
Absolutely agree. Well said (the whole post).

nacho
nacho

Big Tea wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 22:40

BTW, does he claim he was bumped?
Oh man that's a heartbreaking radio conversation. :(

Sieper

His engineer is a great guy. He came back (wasn’t going on the road) again just to help. Albon is also so decent and well behaved. Indeed hard to listen to.

I can imagine he thought he was hit, I did thought to see that on telly too.

F1 can be exhilarating, fun, tense, but it can also be incredibly harsh. If you are in a tough spot, in which you can come very easily with a bit of bad luck and some faults, then the press(ure) is on. Also because you have fans, but also people who hate you for no good reason other then passion.

Wouter

Helmut Marko in conversation with the ORF after the race. (Austrian TV and radio channels)

"Albon has until the last race in Abu Dhabi to prove himself and then we will make an internal decision whether he can stay or whether we look for someone from outside."

"There are a lot of drivers on the market, so we don't have to rush to choose."

I think they have already contracted another driver, but they have promised Red Bull's Thai shareholders that Albon will be able to finish the season.
The Power of Dreams!

zibby43
zibby43

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 20:02
Sieper wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 19:05
Plus we saw max pull a gap on Bottas with ease, so the pace was there more likely then not.

But even so, Merc is still faster imho.
Didn't Bottas still have the big lump of vettels car stuck at that point. I thought they only cleared it in the 2nd stop.
Yep. He lost roughly 50 points of downforce (which is a lot).

Man those FW end plates are massive.

Sieper

Indeed. Much bigger then they look on the car. Where did it got stuck exactly, did anyone see? In the bargeboards area somewhere?

Big Tea

Sieper wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 23:00
NathanOlder wrote:

First, why do you think so many people think Albon deserves it more. Many of us wanted to keep Gasly on, I certainly was fine with that. He had gotten the seat for that year, let him have it. But people were screaming for his blood. Now the same is happening. I am just saying, let Albon drive, it is now his year. But people are again screaming for blood.

Then your reasoning. Max won one race this year on merit and has 1 front row qualy. He won several last year and had pole on merit. RB15 was more competitive. Also, this year the party mode is gone and only since that happened the qualy gap has reduced. I know you follow F1 as closely as I so you can’t have forgotten. It surprises me the gap is only .177 the whole time Albon is in the car. I thought it larger. Do you have data of the gap for this year pre and post one engine mode?

Points is never a good thing. Gasly was incredibly lucky collecting 25 points in Monza. I don’t mean he drove bad, he drove great, but it was a perfect storm to be in that position. And Kvyat was on the podium in Germany last year. But only because they put him on the slicks early as he was so far behind Albon they could take the gamble with him, he had nothing to lose. Those are just 2 things of the top of my head, but those things skew the numbers, points say a lot, but the teams know the pace the drivers can achieve. Their decision making etc. Etc.

Their is likely much more than zero evidence. F.e. What people mentioned earlier, Albon was faster than Gasly after the switch. Both drove the RB15.

I don’t know who is better, they both are in F1 based on their junior series driving, not based on buying a seat.
I thought Gasly was hard done by, but by the time he left, he really needed an out. I think that if he had stayed all year he would have been destroyed as a racer. He went back to STR with a half year to get his head straight and prove to himself and the world he was not a total fail, which is what he seemed to be at Red Bull.

In addition to this, by the end of the year the other teams would not be considering him worth while, so he would be out. It was cruel, but the best thing all round.

Albon is in a similar bind right now, but does seem to at least have vocal support from the team, and people involved in F1 seem to understand that it is the car that is the destroyer, and not Albon is a Z list.

I do still think Albon should be moved out of the seat, for the same reasons Gasly was, but it seems he does not have the safety net of getting his old job back.
It is even worse as there are 3 or 4 drivers waiting to come into the 'minor' seats, and come with a hot reputation v Albons.

I think one way or the other Albon will soon be out, with very limited choices.

As I said above, I would love to see someone like Hulk come in for one race to see how an experienced driver could handle it. If he had as torrid a time as Albon, then we would know, the team would know, and Albon would feel a lot better.

If Hulk came in and run on Max gearbox, then we would also know this is a driver problem. Would Albon pick up enough experience to overcome it? I doubt it without moving to another car for a few years
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

diffuser

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 14:05
restless wrote:
01 Nov 2020, 09:59
NathanOlder wrote:
31 Oct 2020, 22:59
Can I just ask, when exactly was Albon "good" as you put it ?
Compare Gasly 2019 in RB and Albon 2019 in RB
Albon was way better
The car was way better, the redbull is always stronger in the 2nd half of the season. Its been that way for a long time. Albon had a more competitive RedBUll than Gasly did, Gasly still outscored Albon in the championship as well. Albon hasn't performed well enough for a podium despite being in the redbull for a year and a half. Brazil last year he lucked in with safety car, Austria this year, same story, same goes for tuscan gp.

At least Gasly has shown consistent form in Alpha Tauri. Albon never has IMO.
Well Gasley re-signed, Max has a relatively long contract and not sure the other 2 are returning Next year.
Last edited by diffuser on 02 Nov 2020, 00:59, edited 1 time in total.

Sieper

Marko has more or less confirmed Kvyat is out and Tsunoda is in for the second AlphaTauri seat. So like bigtea is saying, it looks like Albon will not have a fallback option.

And Reading “resigned” :D always make me thinks he gave up, until I suddenly see read it in the correct way resigned, signed again).

diffuser

Sieper wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 00:49
Marko has more or less confirmed Kvyat is out and Tsunoda is in for the second AlphaTauri seat. So like bigtea is saying, it looks like Albon will not have a fallback option.

And Reading “resigned” :D always make me thinks he gave up, until I suddenly see read it in the correct way resigned, signed again).
Think you're right. It should be re-signed. I'll correct it.

godlameroso

If Albon is seeing out the year that points at Perez.

My fear is the problems with the RB16 B will be even worse due to chopping up the floor. Then there's the Mercedes engine taking a rumored big step. Which means they may still be a step ahead of Honda.

To those that wonder about the RB15 being more competitive, remember that Honda brought zero power unit updates this year. Same fuel same engine slightly updated ERS.

Next year all of this year's development comes all at once. I just hope it's enough to keep Merc honest. The Merc power unit had its advantage locked in all year, and if they have a power unit advantage they'll once again keep it all next year
Saishū kōnā

LM10
LM10

godlameroso wrote:
02 Nov 2020, 01:13
If Albon is seeing out the year that points at Perez.

My fear is the problems with the RB16 B will be even worse due to chopping up the floor. Then there's the Mercedes engine taking a rumored big step. Which means they may still be a step ahead of Honda.

To those that wonder about the RB15 being more competitive, remember that Honda brought zero power unit updates this year. Same fuel same engine slightly updated ERS.

Next year all of this year's development comes all at once. I just hope it's enough to keep Merc honest. The Merc power unit had its advantage locked in all year, and if they have a power unit advantage they'll once again keep it all next year
Bringing in-season PU upgrades (I think two times) will be allowed next season was the last information I had. Did that change?