[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
basti313
basti313

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

The big problem is the neck. They can pull Vandoorne into the Merc, but he will not be able to do the full race distance at full pace. Even Hulk will have his issues, but would be closer to it and most probably more in practice.
With the performance targets of Merc everything but Rus will be a surprise for me. But from the point of conformity of Merc, I expect rather Van than Hulk in the seat.

For Williams...there is a guy named Robert around...
Don`t russel the hamster!

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

George into the Merc and Roy Nissany into the Williams. Win Win
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

NathanOlder

CMSMJ1 wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 12:14
George into the Merc and Roy Nissany into the Williams. Win Win
Yeah, sounds like a plan.

Vandoorne is in Spain testing Formula E today, so he may not be the one.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 11:28
Hope George gets it, but I reckon it will be Gutierrez.
I think it's not unlikely at all to see Russell @ Mercedes.

Though both Guiterrez and VanDoorne have experience in the car, they have zero race experience in the last years.
I'd pick Vandoorne over Guiterrez any time btw.

Russell also has the experience of having been racing all season in F1, and this weekend in Bahrain.

Russell's Williams seat being 'vacant' for one race leaves no real change in their outcome anyway, and despite Mercedes having the WCC in the bag, they still want to finish decent, and Bottas has not quite been doing well the past two races.

They could drop Guiterrez or Vandoorne instead in the Williams.
Also, it'll be a 'great' opportunity for Roy Nissany to get a race under his belt with Williams.

It would make an interesting race weekend, with Fittipaldi taking care of the Haas seat of Grosjean.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

e30ernest
e30ernest

Yeah Stoffel is in the cards apparently, and so is Nico Hulkenburg. I hope they go for the Hulk, just so he can show what he can do in a top car.

Russell is unlikely unless WIlliams releases him (unlikely). I think Esteban has Super License issues.

NathanOlder

basti313 wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 12:09
The big problem is the neck. They can pull Vandoorne into the Merc, but he will not be able to do the full race distance at full pace. Even Hulk will have his issues, but would be closer to it and most probably more in practice.
I think the next race will be the 1 race on the calendar that wont trouble the neck at all. There are no real high speed corners, plus there are no corners in quick succession. So I dont think the neck would be a problem for any reserve driver here.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

basti313
basti313

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 12:46
basti313 wrote:
I think the next race will be the 1 race on the calendar that wont trouble the neck at all. There are no real high speed corners, plus there are no corners in quick succession. So I dont think the neck would be a problem for any reserve driver here.
Difficult to estimate. You certainly make a good point on the different corers, but I think in a high speed corner the driver can mostly lean his head to the headrest. We have seen Hulk doing this in Silverstone. On the other side Sakhir has only semi quick right handers, I fear that this will kill the neck as there is no way to lean on anything and always the same side.

I just read an interesting point on Hulk: Maybe he has a RedBull contract in his pocket...that would be a nogo for him in the Merc.
So my bet is on Van.
Don`t russel the hamster!

f1jcw
f1jcw

I've never got peoples obsession with Hulk

Peter1919
Peter1919

I very much doubt that Russel's contract with Williams will allow Merc to call him up as that would deprive Williams of their only driver that might actually manage to score them a point

SiLo

Vandoorne is testing in Formula-E and then flying to Bahrain. He will most likely drive but his neck is gonna be so sore.
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

f1jcw wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 13:17
He does have a reasonable record across his career, to be fair. Won the feeder series on his way up, won at Le Mans. Is a safe pair of hands with decent speed.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

e30ernest
e30ernest

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 14:54
f1jcw wrote:
He does have a reasonable record across his career, to be fair. Won the feeder series on his way up, won at Le Mans. Is a safe pair of hands with decent speed.
This. Also, he has been the driver that has taken over the other drivers who has had Covid this year so he has hands-on experience with the current cars. He's probably a very safe bet for Mercedes.

f1jcw
f1jcw

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Dec 2020, 14:54
f1jcw wrote:
I'm not disputting he was a okay driver in the feeder series and did okay as a safe pair of hands in F1.
But for some it seems beyond this

adrianjordan

If it was just a reserve driver, or Hulk for that matter, I think we would have heard by now.

I think the delay is Merc trying to work out a deal with George.

They could offer Williams something in return and, as others have said, it is unlikely to effect Williams' standing in the WCC.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

basti313 wrote:

For Williams...there is a guy named Robert around...
you've got to be kidding right.

He ended with a semi-beef with Williams, hasn't driven all year long,
and is leaving F1 again. this makes no sense.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"