[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Gerhardsa

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

i also think it is going to be a tall order to just "beat" Max and Bottas. If he is close, I'd be impressed. Remember After Massa's accident they brought in Fisichella alongside Kimi? Kimi wiped the floor with him, and that is after Fisi has a very strong season up to that point with Force India (Spa comes to mind as well).

Yes it is generations apart in terms of cars etc, That being said, I am quietly optimistic for George, but lets not put too much pressure on the guy. I do expect him to comfortably beat the rest though (Albon, Racing points Renault and Mclaren)

e30ernest
e30ernest

Gerhardsa wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 15:13
I am quietly optimistic for George, but lets not put too much pressure on the guy. I do expect him to comfortably beat the rest though (Albon, Racing points Renault and Mclaren)
I'm sure both Bottas and Russell know what's at stake here. Hamilton will also be probably looking at this intently because this will either be his replacement, or his new team mate.

Big Tea

So what would be the 'best plan' for George?
98%, go for a good but steady finish to have his name on the list and points in his pocket, or 101% to give the best impression in the race and the possibility of not making it to the finish line?

Remember, this is going to be a very short lap, and much of his race will probably be lapping other cars while trying to keep his place, or pass drivers like Max while staying on the track and keeping all the bits in the right place?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Sieper

e30ernest wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 15:26
Gerhardsa wrote:
I am quietly optimistic for George, but lets not put too much pressure on the guy. I do expect him to comfortably beat the rest though (Albon, Racing points Renault and Mclaren)
I'm sure both Bottas and Russell know what's at stake here. Hamilton will also be probably looking at this intently because this will either be his replacement, or his new team mate.
or none of the above. Vettel was also allowed to keep Kimi as long as he was performing per expectation. Merc will want to keep Lewis happy as long as he is delivering weekend after weekend. They have the data. It will perhaps make a difference to his bargaining power for a raised salary if Russell wins by a margin.

Gerhardsa

Sieper wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 15:35
e30ernest wrote:
Gerhardsa wrote:
or none of the above. Vettel was also allowed to keep Kimi as long as he was performing per expectation. Merc will want to keep Lewis happy as long as he is delivering weekend after weekend. They have the data. It will perhaps make a difference to his bargaining power for a raised salary if Russell wins by a margin.
Luckily my comment had nothing to do with speculation as to who will get the seat next to Lewis in 2022( If he even continues racing '22), just about how I think George might perform this coming weekend.

Sieper

Gerhardsa wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 15:42
Sieper wrote:
e30ernest wrote:

Luckily my comment had nothing to do with speculation as to who will get the seat next to Lewis in 2022( If he even continues racing '22), just about how I think George might perform this coming weekend.
I was replying to Ernest with the nicest BMW of them all (the E30 3 series). Who indeed replied on your message.

e30ernest
e30ernest

Sieper wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 17:34
Gerhardsa wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 15:42
Sieper wrote:

I was replying to Ernest with the nicest BMW of them all (the E30 3 series). Who indeed replied on your message.
Hahaha yes, it's the best BMW. :mrgreen:

So apparently, the travel restrictions imposed by Abu Dhabi to F1 teams requires you to be in Bahrain testing negative for at least 7 days to be allowed into Abu Dhabi. It's going to be tight for Lewis.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

godlameroso

Wow, seems I was thoroughly wrong, Russell is racing for Mercedes. This is good news, well bad for Max, and Bottas, but good for the sport. I have personally been dying to see him in a competitive car, I didn't expect to see him in the most competitive one of them all. Russell has been driving a relatively bad car, he'll adapt quickly. Like when Vegeta and Goku fused to fight Majin Buu, he just has to get used to his new body.
Saishū kōnā

Phil

I’d also add this could be bad for Max if be ever fancies driving for Mercedes and Russel turns out to be the real deal. Mercedes might just think they wont need Max after all...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

godlameroso

Russell even impresses Alonso, in terms of his ability, I think that says it all.
Saishū kōnā

zibby43
zibby43

Russell already deep in briefings with Marcus Dudley and Pete Bonnington (you can spot the steering wheel, too):

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

zibby43 wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 23:29
Russell already deep in briefings with Marcus Dudley and Pete Bonnington (you can spot the steering wheel, too):

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EoORtjOWMAI ... name=large
He has a huge amount of "school work" to do to learn the wheel and everything it controls.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zibby43
zibby43

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 00:26
zibby43 wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 23:29

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EoORtjOWMAI ... name=large
He has a huge amount of "school work" to do to learn the wheel and everything it controls.
Yes he does. He has good familiarity with the current spec Mercedes PU, and had a very productive test in the W10 in Abu Dhabi, so at least that will give him a good foundation.

The Merc steering wheel will be very different to the Williams, and it will be tough to overcome muscle memory in terms of manipulating critical switchwork.

I also hope he doesn't mistakenly head for the Williams pit lane spot during the race out of sheer habit!

adrianjordan

Let's not forget though, George has driven Merc F1 cars, and set impressive times in them, in recent history. Hasn't he done simulator work for them as well?

I would imagine he will have a much smaller learning curve than some are suggesting.

What I want to see is the PowerPoint he gave Toto 😂
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️