[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Juzh

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

zibby43 wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 08:21
e30ernest wrote:
06 Dec 2020, 08:10
It looks like Russell is running more downforce than Bottas? He seems to have less straightline speed. Either that or his head is that much more draggy than Bottas'.

Also, there was some discussion on the camera position. Looks to me the camera was in the same position but the camera on Russell's car was set to a wider FOV based on the more distorted (fish-eye effect) image from his car.
Yeah that was bizarre losing time on the straight in S1 before T1 . . .

Was wondering what that was about myself.
Bottas has a distant slipstream from gasly who then gets out of his way before T4, russell has none - 328 vs 325 kmh on main straight, then equal on all other straights. Overall he lost only very little in that first sector if you put that out of equation, possibly enough for pole.

NathanOlder

zibby43 wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 23:27
Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 20:57
Manoah2u wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 20:51

Also, WINNING with RBR means also BEATING 'hotshot' Max.
The chances of him being 'allowed' to beat Lewis is also - perhaps - questionable.
I think you've got that the wrong way round. Red Bull want Max to be their star driver. Mercedes lets both drivers win.

I think George at Red Bull would cause issues for the team. It'd be McLaren 2007 or Mercedes 2016 with in-fighting and bad relationships forming.
I agree. Red Bull won’t even let Sergio in the car for fear of disrupting Max.

No way they put Russell in.

On a side note (completely unrelated to your post), it’s Russell with 2 L’s chaps. I find it obnoxious that I’m even pointing it out, but that’s an easy enough name to get right. I think we owe the kid at least that. :mrgreen:
Haha just read this after literally mentioning in another thread the spelling mistakes people keep making.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

zibby43
zibby43

NathanOlder wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 00:43
zibby43 wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 23:27
Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 20:57

I think you've got that the wrong way round. Red Bull want Max to be their star driver. Mercedes lets both drivers win.

I think George at Red Bull would cause issues for the team. It'd be McLaren 2007 or Mercedes 2016 with in-fighting and bad relationships forming.
I agree. Red Bull won’t even let Sergio in the car for fear of disrupting Max.

No way they put Russell in.

On a side note (completely unrelated to your post), it’s Russell with 2 L’s chaps. I find it obnoxious that I’m even pointing it out, but that’s an easy enough name to get right. I think we owe the kid at least that. :mrgreen:
Haha just read this after literally mentioning in another thread the spelling mistakes people keep making.
I scolded myself in that moment for being *that* guy (Lord knows I make mistakes), but his name is a slam dunk, and that was grinding my gears too. Glad I wasn't the only one. :lol:

Mclarensenna

So much talk about Russel's performance and how most people have come to the realization that the Mercedes is maybe a bit quicker than what we were all led to believe the past few years after seeing Russel's performance.

But what i find more interesting is how dam fast that pink racing point Mercedes which is a 2019 Mercedes basically.

Ocon and Perez are very similar which we saw as team mates so they are a good benchmark to compare.

Yet Perez fell to the back of the grid after the first lap and easily got past Ocon.

http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page ... ban%20Ocon

On lap 69 the race is underway again and Perez with an older engine, down on power due to the blow up last weekend still manages to open a 10 second gap to Ocon in the final 17 laps.
But these are very short laps if they were regular laps it would mean Perez with an older engine was around 1 second a lap quicker. Now leaders of races generally pace themselves and never drive flat out. They open a gap and maintain it. Not to mention Perez is very experienced and would be even more cautious after what happened last week (engine blow up) and knowing its an even older engine and would be nursing the car home. So you could "possibly" assume Perez had a few more tenths at least in the pocket maybe more maybe half a second due to possibly nursing the car home.

If the 2019 pink Mercedes is so dam fast compared to the works Renault team imagine how fast the 2020 Mercedes is?
Its something to consider.
Ayrton Senna: Pure driving, pure racing, that´s what makes me happy.

Moore77

Zynerji wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 23:30
Moore77 wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 20:11
Zynerji wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 14:09
I just hope that when George does get to Mercedes, Lewis goes into it with a mentor mentality (SCH-MAS06) instead of a master/apprentice mentality (ALO-HAM07).

Passing the torch after stamping 8 WDC into the history books would just seal the GOAT conversation forever.
Genuine talented drivers don't need mentors and nether want to have one. Their instincts make them do the good stuff on various occasions. Lauda, Senna, Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton and Max, didn't have one. In MotoGP when Honda tried to position Stoner in a similar position, Marquez didn't like it and shoved him away. George is talented and a very intelligent guy (based on his work in Williams and in eSeries). One thing that was commented about him by Claire last year was that, he has immense clarity of his work and doesn't hesitate in demanding from engineers what he wants. Those who build themselves without a mentor, would have stuff to handle difficult situations by themselves. All of the above drivers have proved it. So should George if he is one. I personally hate mentors as I have seen, they mostly try to stuff their way of doing it which is not the right thing.
Your first sentence disqualified the rest of your statement. Take it from someone that develops executive level talent, every single day.

PS: They ALL have mentors. Max has Jos, 100%.
Thanks for solidifying my opinion about mentoring.

PS: Developing his child isn't mentoring. It's just fostering.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

dtro
dtro

Looks like Bottas has dropped all references to Merc on his IG and Russell has dropped all references to Williams on his.

ispano6

Wife sent me this after she saw it on instagram:

adrianjordan

dtro wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 04:38
Looks like Bottas has dropped all references to Merc on his IG and Russell has dropped all references to Williams on his.
Now that IS interesting.... Though did they both have them there in the first place? Is it a dropped or did they never mention them?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

haza
haza

adrianjordan wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 11:07
dtro wrote:
Now that IS interesting.... Though did they both have them there in the first place? Is it a dropped or did they never mention them?
They both had mentions of their teams atleast 2-3 weeks ago

haza
haza

haza wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 11:25
adrianjordan wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 11:07
dtro wrote:

They both had mentions of their teams atleast 2-3 weeks ago

toraabe
toraabe

Zynerji wrote:
I just hope that when George does get to Mercedes, Lewis goes into it with a mentor mentality (SCH-MAS06) instead of a master/apprentice mentality (ALO-HAM07).

Passing the torch after stamping 8 WDC into the history books would just seal the GOAT conversation forever.
If Hamilton quits, get George and Perez. George has the ultimate speed, and Perez just is the ultimate points collector... Would be the dream team..

tangodjango
tangodjango

toraabe wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 12:02
Zynerji wrote:

If Hamilton quits, get George and Perez. George has the ultimate speed, and Perez just is the ultimate points collector... Would be the dream team..
Nope dream team would be Verstappen Leclerc. Or assuming Alonso is still at Singapore 2018 levels, Hamilton-Alonso.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

lh13
lh13

I think Mercedes are going to get forced to replace Bottas with Russell for 2021. They showed their hand, everyone saw what Russell can do. If they don't get him now, then RedBull might decide to throw money at it. Will Mercedes risk loosing their star young driver to the rivals?

NathanOlder

If Lewis leaves, Dream team would be George and Ricciardo. both guys would get on, both guys rapid, both guys know how to overtake . If Lewis stays, Lewis and George.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

NathanOlder

lh13 wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 12:24
I think Mercedes are going to get forced to replace Bottas with Russell for 2021. They showed their hand, everyone saw what Russell can do. If they don't get him now, then RedBull might decide to throw money at it. Will Mercedes risk loosing their star young driver to the rivals?
RedBull cant get George, George won't throw his career away at RedBull while he has an almost certain 2022 Merc seat in his pocket. Only a fool would sign for RedBull right now. They dont even have a PU for 2022.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.