[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
El Scorchio

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

NathanOlder wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 12:28
lh13 wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 12:24
I think Mercedes are going to get forced to replace Bottas with Russell for 2021. They showed their hand, everyone saw what Russell can do. If they don't get him now, then RedBull might decide to throw money at it. Will Mercedes risk loosing their star young driver to the rivals?
RedBull cant get George, George won't throw his career away at RedBull while he has an almost certain 2022 Merc seat in his pocket. Only a fool would sign for RedBull right now. They dont even have a PU for 2022.
Exactly. I do not understand why people keep bringing this up? It's on the Red Bull thread and the silly season one as well. There is zero basis for it happening and zero logic to it happening. Wishful thinking, or just hoping Russell doesn't dish out another 7 years of Mercedes pain to all the other teams after Hamilton retires?

lh13
lh13

El Scorchio wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 12:35
NathanOlder wrote:
lh13 wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 12:24
I think Mercedes are going to get forced to replace Bottas with Russell for 2021. They showed their hand, everyone saw what Russell can do. If they don't get him now, then RedBull might decide to throw money at it. Will Mercedes risk loosing their star young driver to the rivals?
RedBull cant get George, George won't throw his career away at RedBull while he has an almost certain 2022 Merc seat in his pocket. Only a fool would sign for RedBull right now. They dont even have a PU for 2022.
Exactly. I do not understand why people keep bringing this up? It's on the Red Bull thread and the silly season one as well. There is zero basis for it happening and zero logic to it happening. Wishful thinking, or just hoping Russell doesn't dish out another 7 years of Mercedes pain to all the other teams after Hamilton retires?
Umm what?!

El Scorchio

lh13 wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 12:53
El Scorchio wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Umm what?!
Didn't think it would be difficult to understand:

Wishful thinking as in some people just WANT Russell to join RBR even though it's obviously not happening, or fear that by him going to Mercedes it's just going to be more of the same dominance as the last 7 years, but with a different British driver.

lh13
lh13

El Scorchio wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 12:56
lh13 wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

Umm what?!

Wishful thinking as in some people just WANT Russell to join RBR even though it's obviously not happening, or fear that by him going to Mercedes it's just going to be more of the same dominance as the last 7 years, but with a different British driver.
And how did you conclude from my post that I want that to happen Sherlock?!

El Scorchio

lh13 wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 12:59
El Scorchio wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 12:56
lh13 wrote:

Umm what?!

And how did you conclude from my post that I want that to happen Sherlock?!
I was actually replying to Nathan rather than you.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

ispano6 wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 04:56
Wife sent me this after she saw it on instagram:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-xZkk ... -12-07.png
thats perfect
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

dtro wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 04:38
Looks like Bottas has dropped all references to Merc on his IG and Russell has dropped all references to Williams on his.
I don't think this is what people are hoping for. It could, but i don't think so.
It can have a whole lot more to do with marketing.

For example, in the case of Russell, right now, he's not racing for Williams, which 'could' be confusing, especially in the modern world where you can't say, claim, or post anything anymore without some 'political correct' keyboard hero whateverist making a thing of it. I mean, let's face it, we're here talking a instagram page 'change'. What world are we in?!

But anyway, in George's case, it might be a case of making sure Williams' corporate heads - or perhaps actually Mercedes corporate heads - don't want people to think it's George racing @ Williams for the last races, perhaps Sponsors, or anything like that.

Again, it could be as simple as 'George doesn't race for Williams this weekend, let's make sure our sponsors have nothing to bitch about so just make sure that's clear in his social media account'.

Now as for Bottas, yes, it could be read as suspicious, but there's probably a reason behind that too.
First of all, Toto himself mentioned he has a contract for 2021, and Russell too with Williams.
It's also VERRRRRYYYY unlikely that right before the final GP Bottas has heared he's not driving in 2021 for them anymore, no announcement, nothing. Not impossible, but very unlikely nonetheless.

It could actually be that there's a 'change' in policy with Mercedes for all their F1 liasons. So perhaps it would be interesting to check Lewis, Latifi, Sainz, etc etc accounts too while at it.

It could also be that Mercedes is 'changing' some 'link' or 'connection', perhaps due to INEOS sponsorship or something like that.

Yes,it's all a bit coincidental and suspect, but then again, let's not get carried away over INSTAGRAM.

After all, it doesn't say Lewis Hamilton is a F1 driver on his Instagram page, at all. Should we go berserk and claim that's proof Lewis has ended his F1 career?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Zynerji

Moore77 wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 03:49
Zynerji wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 23:30
Moore77 wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 20:11
Genuine talented drivers don't need mentors and nether want to have one. Their instincts make them do the good stuff on various occasions. Lauda, Senna, Schumacher, Alonso, Hamilton and Max, didn't have one. In MotoGP when Honda tried to position Stoner in a similar position, Marquez didn't like it and shoved him away. George is talented and a very intelligent guy (based on his work in Williams and in eSeries). One thing that was commented about him by Claire last year was that, he has immense clarity of his work and doesn't hesitate in demanding from engineers what he wants. Those who build themselves without a mentor, would have stuff to handle difficult situations by themselves. All of the above drivers have proved it. So should George if he is one. I personally hate mentors as I have seen, they mostly try to stuff their way of doing it which is not the right thing.
Your first sentence disqualified the rest of your statement. Take it from someone that develops executive level talent, every single day.

PS: They ALL have mentors. Max has Jos, 100%.
Thanks for solidifying my opinion about mentoring.

PS: Developing his child isn't mentoring. It's just fostering.
😲😲

I have 4 children. The fostering was early, but mentoring became the play once they became teenagers.

Moore77

Zynerji wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 14:51
Moore77 wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 03:49
Zynerji wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 23:30

Your first sentence disqualified the rest of your statement. Take it from someone that develops executive level talent, every single day.

PS: They ALL have mentors. Max has Jos, 100%.
Thanks for solidifying my opinion about mentoring.

PS: Developing his child isn't mentoring. It's just fostering.
😲😲

I have 4 children. The fostering was early, but mentoring became the play once they became teenagers.
4 Children? I am happy for you. Did you check if they even need you as a mentor or they want their own wild ride to figure out the strength of their wings? Emotional connect, which is inseparable in a parental relationship, is a hindrance to let your protégé experience hardships that would help build strength in their personality. That's why I said, it's not mentoring.
The other thing is, if they didn't choose you as a mentor, then you have put yourself in that position, that's not mentoring either.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

e30ernest
e30ernest

Jochen Mass claims to have mentored Schumacher:

Hamilton had Lauda in some way. Maybe late in his career, but I do think his time in Mercedes has seen him grow a lot as a driver.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

e30ernest
e30ernest

I'm happy to see Lewis recovering well. But I am also hoping he doesn't get to race on Abu Dhabi because I want to see more of Russell. :D

adrianjordan

Am I the only one who noticed the conspicuous absence of any mention of a negative test result though?

Also while he claims to "feel great" he did not look or sound great. He looked and sounded like what I'd expect of someone just getting over a mild case of Covid - exhausted!!
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

e30ernest wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 15:37
Jochen Mass claims to have mentored Schumacher:

Hamilton had Lauda in some way. Maybe late in his career, but I do think his time in Mercedes has seen him grow a lot as a driver.
Lewis races a lot like Alain Prost who was also mentored by Lauda.

dtro
dtro

haza wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 11:25
adrianjordan wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 11:07
dtro wrote:
08 Dec 2020, 04:38
Looks like Bottas has dropped all references to Merc on his IG and Russell has dropped all references to Williams on his.
Now that IS interesting.... Though did they both have them there in the first place? Is it a dropped or did they never mention them?
They both had mentions of their teams atleast 2-3 weeks ago
I'll be honest I'm not on IG, a friend of mine pointed out the change/info over the weekend, figured I'd bring it up here.

Could just be fuel for wild speculation, but who doesn't love a bit of that.