2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

I hate to get into these pissing contests about power.

I think someone said that more power doesn't necessarily make you faster as much as giving you more options.

PhillipM
PhillipM

You think there's still no full deployment qualifying modes in the maps? You need to re-read the regulations.

the EDGE
the EDGE

PhillipM wrote:
30 Jan 2021, 20:42
You think there's still no full deployment qualifying modes in the maps? You need to re-read the regulations.
Or listen to the quali commentary when they’re discussing a charge-up lap in between runs

Restrictions were only placed on the ICE as far as I am aware, however I am a bit confused as you can only use overtake mode in the race and I thought that was purely about electrical power these days too

Lucky
Lucky

diffuser

the EDGE wrote:
30 Jan 2021, 20:55
PhillipM wrote:
30 Jan 2021, 20:42
Or listen to the quali commentary when they’re discussing a charge-up lap in between runs

Restrictions were only placed on the ICE as far as I am aware, however I am a bit confused as you can only use overtake mode in the race and I thought that was purely about electrical power these days too

I guess charging and deployment could be the same..... Separate from the ICE but you still can't change the ICE map to tune the PU to run without/reduced load of the MGU-H. You'd have to open the waste gates more to let more exhaust bypass the turbine, without the MGU-H load, it would be far to easy to spin the turbine up. Not sure if the waste gate is part of the map.

Darth-Piekus

I am hearing so much hype regarding the changes in Mclaren and the advantage they are gonna have with the new engine and the changes they made to the chassis compared to their rivals. Should I believe the hype or just take it with a grain of salt in order not to get dissapointed if things don't go as they describe?

diffuser

Darth-Piekus wrote:
01 Feb 2021, 00:53
I am hearing so much hype regarding the changes in Mclaren and the advantage they are gonna have with the new engine and the changes they made to the chassis compared to their rivals. Should I believe the hype or just take it with a grain of salt in order not to get dissapointed if things don't go as they describe?
IMHO, it's all hype and double talk right now.

_cerber1

In just two weeks we will see MCL35M. All the same, thoughts do not leave, why so early, a month before the tests. Are there really two days of shooting during this month?

Scorpia
Scorpia

Hey, been reading your awesome comments for a few years now. So now it was time to create a account to be able to discuss our favorite team with you guys!

I’m just a fan and got no info whatsoever, but info always seem to leak out somehow about the progress within the team. Remember when Honda first joined, rumors were they was lagging behind. Same goes with Ferrari last year. Both were true once cars went on track.

Not saying it’s the case with mcl35M but I rather have those statements floating around than the opposite.

Fingers crossed and looking forward to see the new car in action soon!

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

_cerber1 wrote:
01 Feb 2021, 12:48
In just two weeks we will see MCL35M. All the same, thoughts do not leave, why so early, a month before the tests. Are there really two days of shooting during this month?

Maybe they’re planning an early filming day, to allow them iron out issues (if any) before heading to Bahrain. Sorting it out as early as possible should give them a buffer and opportunities to work on the car, if indeed they’ll have a few teething problems. Pre season is only 3 days, loosing even 1 day could be a serious setback.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

skoop
skoop

Ground Effect wrote:
01 Feb 2021, 14:13
_cerber1 wrote:

Maybe they’re planning an early filming day, to allow them iron out issues (if any) before heading to Bahrain. Sorting it out as early as possible should give them a buffer and opportunities to work on the car, if indeed they’ll have a few teething problems. Pre season is only 3 days, loosing even 1 day could be a serious setback.
I think it's going to be what you said and that we'll see a very basic version of the new car: It'll be the 2020 version including the mandatory changes and PU related changes.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:

You have the right idea... Losing any time of those 3 days of testing could be really bad, so anything the team can do to improve the probability of success during those 3 days is key.

We also need to consider that transit time to Bahrain may be part of the equation, since it is different than going to Spain for testing and might be part of the consideration.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PhillipM
PhillipM

They have a lot of integration proofing to do on the new PU that nobody else has to

proteus

They have practically nothing to lose if they show their car a month early, while shakedown will bring important information if everything works as intended.

It is the last year before rules completely change and nobody can copy anything quickly enough and implement it on their car, not to mention nobody will even bother to do so due to the lack of time and fierce preparation for next year. 21 is only an intermediate season for majority of the field.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows