McLaren MCL35М Speculation Thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: McLaren MCL35М Speculation Thread

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

_cerber1

Very early, we should probably expect the day to shoot as very early.

bauc

_cerber1 wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 12:10
I think we will not see the real package on 15th, just a presentation of some new parts on the old car from last season, as it just way too early, one month before pre-season testing starts.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

KingHamilton01

bauc wrote:
28 Jan 2021, 15:35
_cerber1 wrote:
I think we will not see the real package on 15th, just a presentation of some new parts on the old car from last season, as it just way too early, one month before pre-season testing starts.
The video they released showing us around the engineering process behind the MCL35M Build stated they already have an aggressive list of updgrades planned so that makes sense. Still think we will see some changes to bodywork and visually noticable with the engine cover sculpture/profile.
McLaren Mercedes

_cerber1

bauc wrote:
I think that the graph was built based on the fact that the tests were scheduled for March 2-4. Therefore, February 15 is only two weeks before the start of the tests.

mwillems

bauc wrote:
_cerber1 wrote:
They have the engine in the chassis already so is it more likely that they will have the latest chassis with last years Aero bolted on to it where possible?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

NiyolHuayra
NiyolHuayra

Is it just me or will we see a splash of grey this year? =D>

KingHamilton01

NiyolHuayra wrote:
02 Feb 2021, 09:00
I can't remember the article or video I watched but Lando has been quoted as saying he told Zak to put more black into the livery.
McLaren Mercedes

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

NiyolHuayra wrote:
Masks seem to confirm this. Grey and orange. I believe this is 2021 mask. Another point for my pet theory of McLaren positioning themselves to become "works" Mercedes when Mercedes pulls the plug and sells the team to INEOS.

the EDGE
the EDGE

FittingMechanics wrote:
02 Feb 2021, 18:24
NiyolHuayra wrote:
Masks seem to confirm this. Grey and orange. I believe this is 2021 mask. Another point for my pet theory of McLaren positioning themselves to become "works" Mercedes when Mercedes pulls the plug and sells the team to INEOS.

https://scontent.fzag1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=603FFD70
Why on earth would you sell your team to a valued partner, then switch you allegiance to a competitor?

All you would do is devalue the asset your selling

djos

the EDGE wrote:
02 Feb 2021, 18:30
FittingMechanics wrote:
NiyolHuayra wrote:

Why on earth would you sell your team to a valued partner, then switch you allegiance to a competitor?

You would switch after the sale, not before.
"In downforce we trust"

Jolle
Jolle

djos wrote:
02 Feb 2021, 22:36
the EDGE wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

You would switch after the sale, not before.
McLaren isn’t going to be the Mercedes works team. “Back then” Mercedes was the teams biggest shareholder and did more then just supply engines. They worked as a AMG+ for the Mercedes brand (with the SLR for instance). These days, McLaren is a competitor in high end automotive. The SLS was the car that should have been build by McLaren, not AMG.
The Mercedes facility makes a profit and the partnership with INEOS could well go further then just some shares. For Daimler it might be key as they must make a switch from old fashion steel to polymers and other alternatives.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

the EDGE wrote:

You wouldn't do that to devalue the asset. We are talking on multi year timelines. No one would do it in a year, but if Mercedes sold Brackley and the team started struggling while McLaren became the fastest Mercedes powered team, it's inevitable that McLaren would get more say in the decisions Brixworth takes.

I know Mercedes F1 team is a juggernaut nowadays, but a change of ownership and shuffling of cards with budget caps could change this. Do you think Mazepin owned Brackley team would stay at the top of F1 for a decade?

My point is, McLaren is changing to the best engine supplier, along side that, they are Mercedes powered if Brackley is sold. It's not a bad spot to be if it happens.

charliesmithhd

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Can't figure out what is that.