2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
the EDGE
the EDGE

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Macklaren wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 18:35
But given what is happening with electrification of Audi's roadcars and yet seeing them quit Formula E, I don't think Audi is entering F1, ever.
You say that but acceptable battery capacity for a supercar is a long way off, if ever achievable

If F1 are going to explore alternatives to fossil fuel perhaps that’s exactly where the Audi group of Manufacturers want to be

Macklaren
Macklaren

the EDGE wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 18:47
Macklaren wrote:
But given what is happening with electrification of Audi's roadcars and yet seeing them quit Formula E, I don't think Audi is entering F1, ever.
You say that but acceptable battery capacity for a supercar is a long way off, if ever achievable

If F1 are going to explore alternatives to fossil fuel perhaps that’s exactly where the Audi group of Manufacturers want to be
Agreed. That's a big IF, but if it happens, will be very exciting to watch (H2-powered F1 cars!). Now all these manufacturers and the FIA just need to get their thumbs out of their a****s and make some decisions!

adrianjordan

the EDGE wrote:
Macklaren wrote:

I don't know. If Tesla are being accurate in their performance and range claims for the Model S Plaid+ then battery capacity may be about to make it's next big jump.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

the EDGE
the EDGE

adrianjordan wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 23:52
the EDGE wrote:
Macklaren wrote:

I don't know. If Tesla are being accurate in their performance and range claims for the Model S Plaid+ then battery capacity may be about to make it's next big jump.
But that’s the problem, Any range claim will be at normal driving speeds

Super cars can drain tanks of fuel in minutes, and we all know petrol cars are both lighter & have a further range than electric cars, so when you start driving electric cars hard on autobhans, tracks etc. they run out of juice way to quickly

Besides that, petrol heads do, and always will love the roar of engines

Electric may one day be king, but Bio-fuels could be the answer to high performance for sometime to come

JordanMugen

the EDGE wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 00:35
Steam enthusiasts also love the roar of steam locomotives, and the theatre of plumes of steam and venting this and that and so forth. :shock: {I just think they're neat! =D> =D> }

Younger people increasingly prefer EVs, especially those under the age of 15, and it would be remiss for F1 or performance car manufacturers to only cater to an older audience (sadly), as much as V12s are a joy.

So when is the range of McLaren EVs coming out? :)

the EDGE
the EDGE

JordanMugen wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 07:52
the EDGE wrote:

Younger people increasingly prefer EVs, especially those under the age of 15, and it would be remiss for F1 or performance car manufacturers to only cater to an older audience (sadly), as much as V12s are a joy.
True, but not the ones who buy performance cars and fit loud, flame throwing aftermarket exhausts

In the next few years, at present EV remains the only viable option, but none the less F1 are still likely to investigate alternatives with the next generation of engine, tech which could be transferred to future performance engines when fossil fuels are banned

adrianjordan

the EDGE wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

Super cars can drain tanks of fuel in minutes, and we all know petrol cars are both lighter & have a further range than electric cars, so when you start driving electric cars hard on autobhans, tracks etc. they run out of juice way to quickly

Electric may one day be king, but Bio-fuels could be the answer to high performance for sometime to come
I was an EV sceptic until I drove some. The way they deliver the power is just something else. I have a practical SUV on order with performance to trouble an older 911....and running costs that are dirt cheap.

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

the EDGE
the EDGE

adrianjordan wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 13:03
the EDGE wrote:
adrianjordan wrote:

I was an EV sceptic until I drove some. The way they deliver the power is just something else. I have a practical SUV on order with performance to trouble an older 911....and running costs that are dirt cheap.
I have nothing against EV, I’m just saying there are alternatives F1 are exploring

diffuser

Macklaren wrote:
05 Feb 2021, 19:14
the EDGE wrote:
Macklaren wrote:

Agreed. That's a big IF, but if it happens, will be very exciting to watch (H2-powered F1 cars!). Now all these manufacturers and the FIA just need to get their thumbs out of their a****s and make some decisions!

I think FCEV is possible (Fuel Cell).

Darth-Piekus

I'm on the opinion that the car has to consume petrol, burn the asphalt and spew flames out of the exhausts.

diffuser

Darth-Piekus wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 17:08
I'm on the opinion that the car has to consume petrol, burn the asphalt and spew flames out of the exhausts.
Aaaah, history buff!

diffuser

The countries of the world are banning production of fossel fuel vehicles ranging from 2025-2040.

You'd be better off having F1 buy Merc's PU and use it for all teams in F1, instead of having all the PU producers spending money to build new dinosaures.

the EDGE
the EDGE

This topic is really polluting the McLaren Thread now, perhaps it could be moved to its own topic before any more comments are made?

adrianjordan

Really looking forward to this season. I can't explain why, but Daniel feels like a really good fit with the team. I could see this being the start of a long term relationship if McLaren give him a car that he can compete at the front in in 2022 onwards.

mwillems

JordanMugen wrote:
06 Feb 2021, 07:52
the EDGE wrote:
Steam enthusiasts also love the roar of steam locomotives, and the theatre of plumes of steam and venting this and that and so forth. :shock: {I just think they're neat! =D> =D> }

I remember this conversation in last years off season 😂😂

I don't know if they have changed their minds but quotes from Mclaren were saying that it would be the late 20s, as Mclaren didn't want to compromise their light and agile handling philosophy. So they wait for better battery tech.

I may have missed remembered a little as it is a year gone by, but that was the gist.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit