2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 02:28
mwillems wrote: The Max v Sainz comparison is quite old now I think, and I'm not sure how relevant it is. Carlos also didn't fare brilliantly against Hulkenberg so I don't want to say that Sainz was a Max level (or near it) driver when he came to Mclaren.

I hope you're right, but my gut feeling is that DR is going to be faster than Carlos was and that Lando is going to be the bridesmaid once again this year.

And to be fair I'm not saying I want him to be more aggressive and risk crashing, I want him to be more aggressive without crashing :lol:
The Max vs Carlos comparison was just to make a point that since the start of his career, he was a fast driver... Carlos’ season in Renault is a tricky one to evaluate, not only was he there in a loan from STR and he didn’t seem to have the team behind him, late in the season he was already bound to Mclaren for 2019 and it was known also from mid season that he was going to be replaced by RIC, which should have had an effect on his on track performance.

But, I wasn’t trying to make this a comparison of past seasons to determine who is better or faster driver... The point I was trying to make is that it is hard for drivers to showcase their talent with midfield cars... With how close the performance of the Mclaren, RP, Ferrari, Renault and even STR was in the mix in more than one race... The fact that Lando managed to score as many points as he did and outqualified them in more races than not shows a great degree of skill.

Reviewing the 2020 season, Lando didn’t made many mistakes and had more highlights than lowlights, I thought it was a pretty mature drive all season for such a young driver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
To be honest I take these conversations with a pinch of salt, they are just harmless fun as we don't have the data to fully assess. It's all just a little bit of gut feeling and luck.

"Mistakes" was the wrong word, and I thought this after I wrote it. It was more that there were too many times when he just stopped making progress in the field for half a race when you felt he should have been able to make more of those situations. There were definitely lot's of highlights for sure, but too much stagnation in races too I think.

But that's not to say he won't develop away from it, I just feel like the piece that will make the difference is not necessarily in his hands or feet but in his approach.
Absolutely! Nothing more than perception in the end... I would say that I haven’t seeing Norris as someone with the wrong mentality, as a matter of fact he might be a bit too over critical of himself sometimes.

What is undeniable is that he has improved from his maiden season and that’s all I can ask for, continuous development... He is still extremely young and seems to have room for further growth.

mclaren111

Macklaren wrote:
08 Feb 2021, 17:47
Lewis' 1-year Mercedes contract renewal is intriguing. Still holding out small hope that he chooses to end his career at McLaren for a couple years

Hell No...

djos

mclaren111 wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 10:27
Macklaren wrote:
Lewis' 1-year Mercedes contract renewal is intriguing. Still holding out small hope that he chooses to end his career at McLaren for a couple years

Hell No...
This!
"In downforce we trust"

Herr_Koos

Macklaren wrote:
That bridge is burned. McLaren should look to the future, not the past. Besides, Lewis will walk away from F1 before signing for another team at this point. What does he have left to achieve?

PowerandtheGlory
PowerandtheGlory

Herr_Koos wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 10:45
Macklaren wrote:
That bridge is burned. McLaren should look to the future, not the past. Besides, Lewis will walk away from F1 before signing for another team at this point. What does he have left to achieve?
The only possible option if he doesnt end with Merc is to a ‘tom brady’ and leave for another team and try to win a title elsewhere, it would cement his legacy if he could win with another team. Ferrari is the only option
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Herr_Koos

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 11:15
Herr_Koos wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 10:45
Macklaren wrote:
The only possible option if he doesnt end with Merc is to a ‘tom brady’ and leave for another team and try to win a title elsewhere, it would cement his legacy if he could win with another team. Ferrari is the only option
I honestly don't think the Ferrari move will happen. They obviously want to keep Leclerc for a long time, and Binotto has already made noises about wanting to retain Sainz beyond the initial two years. There's no space for Lewis when they're obviously trying to secure a long-term lineup with young drivers.

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 06:23
mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
09 Feb 2021, 02:28

The Max vs Carlos comparison was just to make a point that since the start of his career, he was a fast driver... Carlos’ season in Renault is a tricky one to evaluate, not only was he there in a loan from STR and he didn’t seem to have the team behind him, late in the season he was already bound to Mclaren for 2019 and it was known also from mid season that he was going to be replaced by RIC, which should have had an effect on his on track performance.

But, I wasn’t trying to make this a comparison of past seasons to determine who is better or faster driver... The point I was trying to make is that it is hard for drivers to showcase their talent with midfield cars... With how close the performance of the Mclaren, RP, Ferrari, Renault and even STR was in the mix in more than one race... The fact that Lando managed to score as many points as he did and outqualified them in more races than not shows a great degree of skill.

Reviewing the 2020 season, Lando didn’t made many mistakes and had more highlights than lowlights, I thought it was a pretty mature drive all season for such a young driver.

To be honest I take these conversations with a pinch of salt, they are just harmless fun as we don't have the data to fully assess. It's all just a little bit of gut feeling and luck.

"Mistakes" was the wrong word, and I thought this after I wrote it. It was more that there were too many times when he just stopped making progress in the field for half a race when you felt he should have been able to make more of those situations. There were definitely lot's of highlights for sure, but too much stagnation in races too I think.

But that's not to say he won't develop away from it, I just feel like the piece that will make the difference is not necessarily in his hands or feet but in his approach.
Absolutely! Nothing more than perception in the end... I would say that I haven’t seeing Norris as someone with the wrong mentality, as a matter of fact he might be a bit too over critical of himself sometimes.

What is undeniable is that he has improved from his maiden season and that’s all I can ask for, continuous development... He is still extremely young and seems to have room for further growth.

I agree with both statements but still feel like he is a little meek at times and needs to be a stronger individual, possibly a little more arrogant at the right times, not unlike DR, who I think is the perfect role model for Lando's type of personality. Leclerc has that humility and honesty but still that personal strength of conviction in himself and his driving. Obviously I enjoy Landos character more, as much as I love Leclerc as a driver, he is the human equivalent of beige at times. But I would prefer to see Lando shape his own world a little bit more than he does now, as he seems to look for direction from everyone.

Again, just one mans opinion, it's something that's nagged me about him for a while and it doesn't seem to change (Like my broken record opinions)!

He should get drunk and start a bar fight or something before his next race, I reckon there's 2 tenths a lap faster in testosterone right there :mrgreen:
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Holm86

The orange and blue isn't a suprise, but what looks like the old rocket red is??

Mansell89
Mansell89

Holm86 wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 08:55
The orange and blue isn't a suprise, but what looks like the old rocket red is??

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLE5vMCHUV_ ... 3bun88pfmy
Not long to wait, excited to see how we’ve intergrated the Mercedes unit!

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Another great video up on the McLaren App
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Mansell89 wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 10:45
Holm86 wrote:

Not long to wait, excited to see how we’ve intergrated the Mercedes unit!
We have 3 delicious days in a row...

14th - Chocolate day
15th - Orange Day
16th - Pancake day

Amazing what gets you excited during a lockdown :lol:

I wonder if the ‘rocket red’ Holm86 refers to has something to do with the ‘we race as one’ rainbow 🌈

genarro
genarro

Holm86 wrote:

I think they are going for a Gulf style livery..if you chose to add up a lot of colours it can quickly become a bit wierd. Besides the Gulf livery hardly needs additional colours :) i think the car is going to be stunning

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I’d be surprised if they go with a Gulf livery, to be honest. If they were a title or a principal partner, maybe. But from all indications, they’re not amongst the top McLaren sponsors, so I’m not sure they’re bringing enough cash to get that homage. To me, the nostalgia is higher than their cheque.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

billamend
billamend

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

billamend wrote:
Thanks for sharing, good find!