2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Macklaren
Macklaren

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

billamend wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 16:00
Interesting that one of the background displays had the date as Jan 25 -- looks like they are a couple of weeks ahead of their public proclamations.

djos

Isn’t rocket red a Coke colour?
"In downforce we trust"

Macklaren
Macklaren

djos wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 22:05
Rocket Red was originally created for the Marlboro livery cars in the 80s. Coke red is darker

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 18:53
billamend wrote:
Interesting that one of the background displays had the date as Jan 25 -- looks like they are a couple of weeks ahead of their public proclamations.
So the car will have been Dyno tested already and they will have more of an idea of what they have built.

It feels like this last few months has flown by and the new season is almost here. I can't wait to see the paint job and to see those three days of testing.

I can't wait to see all the professional Analysis of the car designs too, which invariably turns out to be misjudged. but I'll read it anyway.... :D
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Macklaren wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 22:42
djos wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 22:05
Rocket Red was originally created for the Marlboro livery cars in the 80s. Coke red is darker
Perhaps it will just be used for the Mclaren swoosh, which I personally think would be a nice touch on the car.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAJ

Obviously an F1 car doesn't have brake lights, but....

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/wpv59m4/

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

mwillems wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 00:18
Macklaren wrote:
10 Feb 2021, 18:53
billamend wrote:
So the car will have been Dyno tested already and they will have more of an idea of what they have built.

It feels like this last few months has flown by and the new season is almost here. I can't wait to see the paint job and to see those three days of testing.

I can't wait to see all the professional Analysis of the car designs too, which invariably turns out to be misjudged. but I'll read it anyway.... :D
Agreed, it’s too bad testing is only 3 days, for obvious reasons. But I get the impression that the powers that be don’t realise how fans value those days and how it’s followed.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Ground Effect wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 07:53
[quote=mwillems post_id=951535

Agreed, it’s too bad testing is only 3 days, for obvious reasons. But I get the impression that the powers that be don’t realise how fans value those days and how it’s followed.
You & I & everyone reading this values those days dearly, but sadly I imagine we make up a very small percentage of the people who watch F1

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 11:43
Ground Effect wrote:

You & I & everyone reading this values those days dearly, but sadly I imagine we make up a very small percentage of the people who watch F1
Whilst I did enjoy testing, it does always feel a bit empty as you couldn't take too much away from it bar some unfounded hopes and fears and the fact that our front end wasn't as strong as we'd like.... :D

On that note, someone posed the query as to whether the floor changes will reduce our front end issues. But thinking about it...

Won't the floor changes reduce the overall downforce from the floor, meaning that the rear and front wings constitute a greater percentage of our downforce than before (Assuming that the floor downforce has a relatively equal effect over the whole of the car, if not completely equal). Therefore, the difference between front and rear grip may become more exaggerated if we don't resolve the issue?

And another thought, what kind of strategy will the team employ for testing? I'm going to imagine there will be few Qualy simulations as Mclaren test for reliability and installation issues. Other teams won't need to do that so much. They will do some aero testing and some fast laps I'd imagine as the cars are tested from last year. 2 drivers per day and the absolute maximum of laps achieved I would think for Mclaren, they will be absolutely burning the midnight oil.

Can they bring a reserve car in case of issues?

-Bandit

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 11:49
the EDGE wrote:
Ground Effect wrote:

Whilst I did enjoy testing, it does always feel a bit empty as you couldn't take too much away from it bar some unfounded hopes and fears and the fact that our front end wasn't as strong as we'd like.... :D

On that note, someone posed the query as to whether the floor changes will reduce our front end issues. But thinking about it...

Won't the floor changes reduce the overall downforce from the floor, meaning that the rear and front wings constitute a greater percentage of our downforce than before (Assuming that the floor downforce has a relatively equal effect over the whole of the car, if not completely equal). Therefore, the difference between front and rear grip may become more exaggerated if we don't resolve the issue?

And another thought, what kind of strategy will the team employ for testing? I'm going to imagine there will be few Qualy simulations as Mclaren test for reliability and installation issues. Other teams won't need to do that so much. They will do some aero testing and some fast laps I'd imagine as the cars are tested from last year. 2 drivers per day and the absolute maximum of laps achieved I would think for Mclaren, they will be absolutely burning the midnight oil.

I posed the question...

My thinking was that with the new narrow nose & associated improvements and a rules reduction in Rear Downforce, it should be easier to find an optimum balance & therefore a quicker car overall...

mwillems

mclaren111 wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 12:18
mwillems wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

I posed the question...

My thinking was that with the new narrow nose & associated improvements and a rules reduction in Rear Downforce, it should be easier to find an optimum balance & therefore a quicker car overall...
Ahh OK. How is it that it is predominantly rear downforce being lost if it is the floor that is losing efficiency?

That may be a stupid question, so apologies. It just that it appears to affect downforce over the whole of the car, but would enjoy finding out if that is not the case.

-Bandit

Lucky
Lucky

the EDGE
the EDGE

Since when are McLaren using a Mercedes gearbox & fitting their rear suspension?

I kind of hope they do... but isn’t this just complete rubbish???

pazazamadaz
pazazamadaz

Yeah I was going to ask the same. I'm pretty sure they aren't and it's a mix up with Williams. I think they are taking the merc gearbox this year and maybe the rear suspension as well.

the EDGE
the EDGE

pazazamadaz wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 13:27
Yeah I was going to ask the same. I'm pretty sure they aren't and it's a mix up with Williams. I think they are taking the merc gearbox this year and maybe the rear suspension as well.
No, Williams are taking the Merc gearbox next year but there are no plans to run their suspension next year at present

mclaren111

mwillems wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 12:43
mclaren111 wrote:
11 Feb 2021, 12:18
mwillems wrote:

I posed the question...

Ahh OK. How is it that it is predominantly rear downforce being lost if it is the floor that is losing efficiency?

That may be a stupid question, so apologies. It just that it appears to affect downforce over the whole of the car, but would enjoy finding out if that is not the case.

Good question... No answer to that... My knowledge too limited... :( :(
Last edited by mclaren111 on 13 Feb 2021, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.