2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

the EDGE wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 12:48
JRindt wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 11:56
SmallSoldier wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 08:27

Some comments from RIC today and a few cool shots of the car on track.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Did anyone catch a distinct whining sound at 2:01 and 2:10? Is it just the wind or some thing else?
Did someone step on a cat 🤣

Seriously, I have no idea what that noise is... some kind of sound reverberation? Sounds awesome what ever it is
Yeah interesting sound, will have to wait till we hear other Merc powered cars though.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

GreenM15
GreenM15

Manoah2u wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 14:01
the EDGE wrote:
JRindt wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 11:56

Did anyone catch a distinct whining sound at 2:01 and 2:10? Is it just the wind or some thing else?

Seriously, I have no idea what that noise is... some kind of sound reverberation? Sounds awesome what ever it is
Yeah interesting sound, will have to wait till we hear other Merc powered cars though.

I'm pretty sure that is just the sound of the drone they used to film aspects of yesterday...

diffuser

Mclarensenna wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 04:17
I have a very good feeling about this new car and just a guess but i am 70% confident (speculating sure) this car could be very quick, behind mercedes off course but not far off and closed the gap to the redbull for the following reasons. As it seems Redbull is the realistic target in my view as Merc of course will be out of reach still due to the massive advantage they already built up.

1. Mclaren have switched to the long wheelbase design of the Merc which we saw how well it worked for racing point over the shorter wheelbase higher rake setup.
2. The Mercedes engine should give them a nice boost in power which means they can stack on more wing and downforce over the previous years making the car even faster in cornering/braking, balance even hopefully.
3. The budget cap kicked in Jan 1st already so Redbull who would be throwing at this point way more money and upgrades than budget teams will be hampered. Redbull usually rocks up with a simpler design in testing then start stacking on more and more parts with bigger and more frequent upgrades than the lower budget teams come the very first race even. Also including they limiting dyno runs as well since Jan 1st. This year Redbull will be hampered significantly for the first time in a decade on how they operate come the first of January till the season starts which will play into the hands of the lower budget teams like Mclaren.

Not long to go now.
Time will tell!

They haven't made a change to the wheelbase in 2021, looks the same to me. Plus the 2nd best chassis in F1 has the shortest wheelbase. So the wheelbase length, by itself, has ZERO to do with the performance of the chassis. It's all about making the aero work. Mercedes and RBR are PRIME examples how the longest and the shortest chassis can work. While the Williams of 2020 if proof how the 2nd longest chassis can be a complete disaster.

I think this point is yet to be proven but RBR have a sister team to split costs with, while McLaren have nobody. We will start to see how much an effect this has now that the CAP has kicked in.

Also AM, Alpine,Ferrari will all have more wind tunnel time in 2021 cause they finished behind the top 3(part of the new regs).
Last edited by diffuser on 17 Feb 2021, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

Emag
Emag

The wheelbase has definitely changed. James Key himself said so on the article explaining the work on MCL35M.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

GreenM15 wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 15:03
Manoah2u wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

I'm pretty sure that is just the sound of the drone they used to film aspects of yesterday...
aaah that's probably it yeah.
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins

diffuser

Emag wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 15:31
The wheelbase has definitely changed. James Key himself said so on the article explaining the work on MCL35M.

I don't see it. Did he Changes to the wheelbase or changes to wheelbase length? Cause the Merc PU will be shifted a bit further back than the Renault PU.

JRindt

GreenM15 wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 15:03
Manoah2u wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

I don’t know man...For one thing, both the shots in which that sound is heard, are taken by the ground cameras.

And the sound seems to be in sync with the acceleration and deceleration. Hear it again on the straight between 2:01 and 2:10. I think you can hear it in the background or maybe I’m imagining it

Mclarensenna

diffuser wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 15:29
Mclarensenna wrote:
I have a very good feeling about this new car and just a guess but i am 70% confident (speculating sure) this car could be very quick, behind mercedes off course but not far off and closed the gap to the redbull for the following reasons. As it seems Redbull is the realistic target in my view as Merc of course will be out of reach still due to the massive advantage they already built up.

1. Mclaren have switched to the long wheelbase design of the Merc which we saw how well it worked for racing point over the shorter wheelbase higher rake setup.
2. The Mercedes engine should give them a nice boost in power which means they can stack on more wing and downforce over the previous years making the car even faster in cornering/braking, balance even hopefully.
3. The budget cap kicked in Jan 1st already so Redbull who would be throwing at this point way more money and upgrades than budget teams will be hampered. Redbull usually rocks up with a simpler design in testing then start stacking on more and more parts with bigger and more frequent upgrades than the lower budget teams come the very first race even. Also including they limiting dyno runs as well since Jan 1st. This year Redbull will be hampered significantly for the first time in a decade on how they operate come the first of January till the season starts which will play into the hands of the lower budget teams like Mclaren.

Not long to go now.
Time will tell!

They haven't made a change to the wheelbase in 2021, looks the same to me. Plus the 2nd best chassis in F1 has the shortest wheelbase. So the wheelbase length, by itself, has ZERO to do with the performance of the chassis. It's all about making the aero work. Mercedes and RBR are PRIME examples how the longest and the shortest chassis can work. While the Williams of 2020 if proof how the 2nd longest chassis can be a complete disaster.

I think this point is yet to be proven but RBR have a sister team to split costs with, while McLaren have nobody. We will start to see how much an effect this has now that the CAP has kicked in.

Also AM, Alpine,Ferrari will all have more wind tunnel time in 2021 cause they finished behind the top 3(part of the new regs).
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/2021/car ... y-changes/
James key says wheelbase is longer here
Not long to go anyways, time will tell if my theory is correct.
Ayrton Senna: Pure driving, pure racing, that´s what makes me happy.

JordanMugen

The onboard sounds utterly dreadful without the FOM exhaust mics! No wonder the standard FOM external mics, designed to pick up the V8 induction noise, had to dropped as they just sound just dreadful with these turbos even to this day. :shock:
haza wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 13:06

JordanMugen

diffuser wrote:
They haven't made a change to the wheelbase in 2021, looks the same to me.
The wheelbase is longer for sure:

Quite significantly longer even. Looks to be a good ~50mm increase.

diffuser wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 15:52
I don't see it.
It's quite clear!
Last edited by JordanMugen on 17 Feb 2021, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.

Emag
Emag

diffuser wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 15:52
I don't see it. Did he Changes to the wheelbase or changes to wheelbase length? Cause the Merc PU will be shifted a bit further back than the Renault PU.
Exact quote by James Key:

Even the wheelbase has changed: we’ve had to extend it slightly because the gearbox bell housing is longer to accommodate the Mercedes engine.

Nbain66
Nbain66

JordanMugen wrote:The onboard sounds utterly dreadful without the FOM exhaust mics! No wonder the standard FOM external mics, designed to pick up the V8 induction noise, had to dropped as they just sound just dreadful with these turbos even to this day. :shock:
haza wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 13:06
The Mercedes has sounded dull to me since 2015, Honda and Ferrari are the only ones to produce a nice Intake only sound to me.

Sent from my SNE-LX3 using Tapatalk

McFAN
McFAN

diffuser wrote:
Mclarensenna wrote:

Not long to go now.
Time will tell!

Source MotorsportWeek
Not sure how accurately it is to scale, but it does indicate at least some change to the wheelbase.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

since the cockpit isn't accurately lined up this gives a very distorted view. it's clearly longer though, that's a fact.

shinekraj
shinekraj

I think it has been my duty to align lines to minimize the camera angle perspectives. I did it on MCL35 thread a year back and happy to do it now for MCL35M.