Mercedes W12

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
godlameroso

Re: Mercedes W12

Saishū kōnā

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

The livery on this car is an unattractive mess.

It's all over the place, busy, and the colors don't work with each other.

Other than that, it looks great!

:lol:

AMG.Tzan

Ringleheim wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 00:11

Exactly :lol:

I think this is their worst livery since 2010! Their liveries picked in 2019-2020(testing)...

On the car front...this is a W11 with 2021 livery and floor! So no need to bother on design concepts etc.

No shakedown this year??
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

zibby43
zibby43

AMG.Tzan wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 00:21
Ringleheim wrote:

Exactly :lol:

I think this is their worst livery since 2010! Their liveries picked in 2019-2020(testing)...

On the car front...this is a W11 with 2021 livery and floor! So no need to bother on design concepts etc.

No shakedown this year??
There are plenty of differences on the W12 launch spec compared to the Abu Dhabi W11, with some of the most obvious areas being the front brake ducts, the barge boards, re-shaping of the side pod area and under cut, further tightening of the engine cover, etc. Great comparison photos on page 3 of the thread.

The filming day is going to be utilized the Tuesday after the Bahrain test. Toto said there was no point standing around in cold weather and freezing rain at Silverstone.

One word about the livery (I think most of that conversation belongs in the team thread, going forward): I think it looks great. It will look better on track (particularly at speed); was pleasantly surprised with the integration of the AMG logos (they're faded in relatively nicely compared to some of the low-quality screen grabs).
Last edited by zibby43 on 03 Mar 2021, 01:58, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

jjn9128 wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 22:37
PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 21:05
desl wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 13:01
https://i.imgur.com/OCRVBWU.png
That is big azz diffuser throat.. not sure if that's legal?! An illusion? Or testing equipment. We have seen testing equipment mounted here in the past.
Looks like a pretty standard F1 diffuser to me. There's a bit of foreshortening from the angle of the image but the diffuser kick of a modern diffuser, since '09, is pretty extreme. The top surface also doesn't follow the bottom surface, instead it's designed to create as high a pressure as possible to increase downforce.

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 22:07
nevill3 wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 21:58
Any body know what this cut out could be

https://i.imgur.com/ScoAv6R.jpg
Cover plate for access electronics or something else
This ^
The diffuser even if concave is still supposed to start at the Rear wheel centre line. This one looks way ahead of that.
Someone suggested it is a cover to block the real thing.. Which does make sense.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 01:48

The diffuser even if concave is still supposed to start at the Rear wheel centre line. This one looks way ahead of that.
Someone suggested it is a cover to block the real thing.. Which does make sense.
175mm forward of the rear wheel centre line.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mkay
mkay

Marc Priestley seems to think that Merc has used tokens on the front of the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlXN-8g0-aY

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

PlatinumZealot wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 22:37
PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 21:05

That is big azz diffuser throat.. not sure if that's legal?! An illusion? Or testing equipment. We have seen testing equipment mounted here in the past.
Looks like a pretty standard F1 diffuser to me. There's a bit of foreshortening from the angle of the image but the diffuser kick of a modern diffuser, since '09, is pretty extreme. The top surface also doesn't follow the bottom surface, instead it's designed to create as high a pressure as possible to increase downforce.

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 22:07

Cover plate for access electronics or something else
This ^
Not correct. It's allowed to start ahead of the rear wheel centerline.

W11 even had the diffuser concave near/at this level. Go look at old pics. It's just more exposed because they tightened the bodywork in that area even more.

JordanMugen

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 02:35
PlatinumZealot wrote:

175mm forward of the rear wheel centre line.
2017 regulations?

Were the rule more conservative on the old regulations?

Morteza

Via @NicolasF1i
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

zibby43
zibby43

As pointed out in the photos above: The double “boomerang” in the barge board region is gone. It's been replaced by a curved deflector. The front end of this portion is now a bit higher.

Also five "Venetian blind" elements, as opposed to four on the W11. The lower vertical deflector surrounding the barge board region has also been redesigned, extending all the way down.

All meticulous refinements proven on the W11. Will be ripe areas of development going forward.

atanatizante

"The Race" review on W12:

Regarding the bulge, they said it`s "an innovative and very compact new version of variable air inlet trumpet system" ... this is what Mudflap was saying they were working throughout last year?
Last edited by atanatizante on 03 Mar 2021, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Shrieker

Ringleheim wrote:
Would love to see the macca chrome on this car with red accents for ineos, and cyan(ish?) for petronas. Basically, a vodafone macca with cyan accents :D
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

atanatizante

Scarbs review on W12:

He thinks that the bulge is "clearing the inlet plenum" ... could that bulge position help with lowering the air intake temperature (hence adding more HP) knowing its seats at a high-velocity transient air trajectory?
Last edited by atanatizante on 03 Mar 2021, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

mzso
mzso

mantaque wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 13:41

I'm guessing that they spent token on something HPP worked on (that "hill" on bodywork, Allison mentioned they worked to improve performance, get extra horsepower or sth like that) and floor/rear aerodynamics (diffusor included) - they haven't really shown the rear of the car, so it is correct in my mind to suspect they developed it quite heavy.
How do we even know that this isn't just a mock-up to confuse people? And the real car will only appear in testing.