Mercedes W12

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Zynerji

Re: Mercedes W12

Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 18:28
Zynerji wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 17:12
I always wondered why these outlets are not designed with laminar flow "nozzle" consideration.

Maybe max flow with less drag is just more efficient.
I wonder if they try to get them to act as extractors - using the airflow along the outside of the bodywork to pull the cooling air through the car. As you say, getting more air through is perhaps more important than minimum drag - this is an area of the car that is already pretty drag-inducing anyway, so perhaps any drag gains would be so small as to be lost in the "noise".
If they had shark gills, the air passing over them would act as an extractor.

El Scorchio

As they've opted against revealing parts of the car thus far and not even doing a shakedown until testing, do we think they might be hiding something really significant?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 18:57
Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 18:28
Zynerji wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 17:12
I always wondered why these outlets are not designed with laminar flow "nozzle" consideration.

Maybe max flow with less drag is just more efficient.
I wonder if they try to get them to act as extractors - using the airflow along the outside of the bodywork to pull the cooling air through the car. As you say, getting more air through is perhaps more important than minimum drag - this is an area of the car that is already pretty drag-inducing anyway, so perhaps any drag gains would be so small as to be lost in the "noise".
If they had shark gills, the air passing over them would act as an extractor.
I wonder if the over-large suspension arm openings in the rear bodywork don't also have that effect. They're certainly larger than is required for the movement of the suspension arms themselves. Air passing over the hole pulls air out and then the rear-most hole can be smaller. If all of the suspension holes were small/sealed, all of the air coming in to the radiator openings at the front would have to leave via the rear-most openings. In a zone where flow is likely to be suboptimal, injecting air via the suspension openings might just keep it all attached in the rear of the bodywork.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zibby43
zibby43

El Scorchio wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 22:13
As they've opted against revealing parts of the car thus far and not even doing a shakedown until testing, do we think they might be hiding something really significant?
They definitely appear to think they have something at the rear of the floor/rear of the car in general with respect to the '21 reg changes. Also interesting that they were coy about where they spent their tokens. When was the last time in the hybrid era that Merc opted to conduct their filming day *after* testing?

Toto said they didn't want to be out standing around in freezing rain in Silverstone, but the British winter weather never stopped them before. :lol:

Also, a fresh image of the cockpit area just dropped. Nice little view of the serrated mirror stalk attachments plus the new, thinner profile of the bottom portion of the side pod entrance:

DarthPlagueisTheVise
DarthPlagueisTheVise

Merc doing something similar to what rb did last year with the channels on the fw ?
Technical Noob

wesley123
wesley123

BestOfDiResta wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 12:27
I agree that in the studio they can set ride heights to whatever they want. However I wouldn’t be surprised to see them shift slightly higher than last year when they hit the track. The changes to the regulations are likely to cause greater losses at lower RRHs where floor area is more dominant.
Why would it affect lower ride heights more? If anything, one would think the opposite is true, since the slots that were present that dealt with tire squirt are gone. Considering a higher ride height more of the tire would be exposed and thus more of the wheel wake would directly interfere with the floor and diffuser.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

dans79

wesley123 wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 21:56
BestOfDiResta wrote:
I agree that in the studio they can set ride heights to whatever they want. However I wouldn’t be surprised to see them shift slightly higher than last year when they hit the track. The changes to the regulations are likely to cause greater losses at lower RRHs where floor area is more dominant.
Why would it affect lower ride heights more? If anything, one would think the opposite is true, since the slots that were present that dealt with tire squirt are gone. Considering a higher ride height more of the tire would be exposed and thus more of the wheel wake would directly interfere with the floor and diffuser.
I'd agree with that. Generally speaking the higher the ride height the harder it is to seal the floor all other things being equal.
201 105 104 9 9 7

zibby43
zibby43

dans79 wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 22:41
wesley123 wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 21:56
BestOfDiResta wrote:
I'd agree with that. Generally speaking the higher the ride height the harder it is to seal the floor all other things being equal.
It's going to be interesting. Diffuser performance is going to be significantly affected by the '21 regs. The tire squirt tools at the rear of the floor are gone, a chunk of the floor has been cut, and the diffuser strakes are getting cut down.

In general, you would think that Mercedes will be able to cope with the changes. Although a higher-rake car has more peak downforce potential with respect to diffuser performance, Mercedes has a longer (and thus, larger) floor area to work the air headed toward the diffuser by virtue of their longer car.

The long wheelbase, low-rake car isn't as peaky in terms of pure downforce/diffuser potential, but it is very stable/consistent and generally provides outstanding performance in high-speed corners.

PlatinumZealot

The squirters are still allowed.
The slots are not though.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

outer_bongolia

Owen.C93 wrote:
05 Mar 2021, 00:18
mkay wrote:
04 Mar 2021, 22:46
It does look like the W12 is running more rake than the W11?
I think every launch thread for every car in the past decade has had the same comment lol

It's usually because shiny floors make the car look higher off the ground.
Also the decreasing floor width should create an illusion of a higher rake.
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

zibby43
zibby43

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 02:37
The squirters are still allowed.
The slots are not though.
The lateral (directly ahead of the rear tires) slots used for tire squirt management are prohibited for '21. (All banned features highlighted in yellow below.)

Those slots were used to defeat tire squirt, as they released the excess air pressure induced around the edges of the floor caused by tire rotation.

zibby43
zibby43

And we get to see the entirety of the car (floor included) running in anger in just a few short days. 8)

NathanOlder

zibby43 wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 07:49
And we get to see the entirety of the car (floor included) running in anger in just a few short days. 8)
How can you lie like this ?! these few days are NOT short!!! surely the longest days of the year :lol:
Last edited by NathanOlder on 09 Mar 2021, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

El Scorchio

NathanOlder wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 11:56
zibby43 wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 07:49
Manoah2u wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 03:35

good lord heavens that is a beautiful car
How can you lie like this ?! these few days are NOT short!!! surel the longest days of the year :lol:
It's like those few days leading up to Christmas Day, isn't it...