2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

There is also a cap on driver Salaries.

There will always be Russels. With everyone in the same "ballpark" budget wise everyone has a fighting chance. Right now, the Russels drive for teams that are so far back that they get lapped at every race. The future will see every team in the mix, where a young upstart driver or engineer can make a difference.

mclaren111

diffuser wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 14:42

There will always be Russels. With everyone in the same "ballpark" budget wise everyone has a fighting chance. Right now, the Russels drive for teams that are so far back that they get lapped at every race. The future will see every team in the mix, where a young upstart driver or engineer can make a difference.

What is the cap ??

Macklaren
Macklaren

ScottR267 wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 19:26
CjC wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 12:52
Ground Effect wrote:
06 Mar 2021, 21:50
Very light on the sponsor side this year. I had hoped finishing P3, returning to Mercedes and signing Daniel would be help boost the sponsor card.
Yes the engine cover is lacking a sponsor but that was also the case last season too.

Mclaren should bang their own logo there if you as me- just like Merc do
Agree with this, that engine cover with such a large space to me looks bare and is reminiscent of being a small team lacking the sponsors!
Disagree with this. Too many stickers also makes a team look like a minnow that will take any check that is given to them. I thought at some races last year, the car looked too messy with logos everywhere. I think the 2021 launch livery is the perfect balance (though I agree with others above who said that they will add an engine cover logo for the races -- I think they were already doing that during the filming day)

diffuser

mclaren111 wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 14:58
diffuser wrote:

What is the cap ??

For 2023...it will be $30M for both drivers.

If you spend more it comes out of the other CAP.

trinidefender
trinidefender

mwillems wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 11:06
trinidefender wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 03:08
The cap is still set quite high. Probably the only teams who are at the spending limit are mercedes, red bull, Ferrari, McLaren and Renault.

Primarily this limit on CFD/wind tunnel time is more about keeping the teams closer together. Sure we are going into a new set of regulations but still, a team that is further up the grid can generally move resources over to 2022 earlier, a close championship position battle not withstanding.

Take Mercedes for example. They were so far ahead last season that they probably started development on this season earlier than everyone else. That means they will probably be further ahead at the start of this season and can put more resources into 2022.

Would you want to go into a completely new regulations generational change that we haven't seen since 2009 for mercedes to just walk away with the championship again? I don't.
Isn't it $145m now? That's less than half of what Merc of Ferrari would spend on their non engine related activites isn't it?

I see your point, Merc will have an advantage from shifting development early, but then I would think almost every team is going to divert almost all of their resource to 2022 now anyway, but what you say does make sense, although I think it may harm Mclaren a little.
Pre-covid McLaren stated that they were very happy with the cap at 175 million. If I remember correctly it wasn't directly stated but looking at various numbers and team statements it seemed as if that cap + whatever else doesn't fall under it almost perfectly matched their then current expenditure anyway.

There are large expenditures that the cap doesn't cover.

Considering loss of resources as a result of covid the reduction to 145 million (140 million for 2022 and 135 for 2023) only makes sense. Also I imagine that all of teams have been hit by budget decreases even if they weren't meeting the 145 million which means that it shouldn't affect McLaren too much.

At the end of the day this budget cap really is for the good of the sport.

proteus

trinidefender wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 19:43
mwillems wrote:
trinidefender wrote:
The cap is still set quite high. Probably the only teams who are at the spending limit are mercedes, red bull, Ferrari, McLaren and Renault.

Primarily this limit on CFD/wind tunnel time is more about keeping the teams closer together. Sure we are going into a new set of regulations but still, a team that is further up the grid can generally move resources over to 2022 earlier, a close championship position battle not withstanding.

Take Mercedes for example. They were so far ahead last season that they probably started development on this season earlier than everyone else. That means they will probably be further ahead at the start of this season and can put more resources into 2022.

Would you want to go into a completely new regulations generational change that we haven't seen since 2009 for mercedes to just walk away with the championship again? I don't.
Isn't it $145m now? That's less than half of what Merc of Ferrari would spend on their non engine related activites isn't it?

I see your point, Merc will have an advantage from shifting development early, but then I would think almost every team is going to divert almost all of their resource to 2022 now anyway, but what you say does make sense, although I think it may harm Mclaren a little.
Pre-covid McLaren stated that they were very happy with the cap at 175 million. If I remember correctly it wasn't directly stated but looking at various numbers and team statements it seemed as if that cap + whatever else doesn't fall under it almost perfectly matched their then current expenditure anyway.

Considering loss of resources as a result of covid the reduction to 145 million (140 million for 2022 and 135 for 2023) only makes sense. Also I imagine that all of teams have been hit by budget decreases even if they weren't meeting the 145 million which means that it shouldn't affect McLaren too much.

There were many chances, where the sport could have been made cheaper without the need for introducing the cost cap, but Bernie and later Liberty Media with Jean Todt dismissed it and lowered their heads to manufacturers... There would be no problem if we would have a Ferrari and Sauber with Ferrari negines and the rest of the field on Cosworth powerplants like it happened in the past. But no, they have decided to go for the ultra complicated hybrid turbo engines which as we see are aparently not interesting for majority of manufacturers (with Honda running away and noone else even close of joining). There was a chance to limit the aero freedom and make it far less complicated, but no, they allowed that bargeboard area to become like a little aerospace project with all the winglets and vortices generators and so on...Every decision they took, it only caused more expendatures. And it will be the same with the new Formula 1, you will see. This "cost cap" is a big throw of sand in the eyes. You will see. They talk so much and they achieve nothing. Seeing this for over a decade now.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

diffuser

Liberty bough F1 in 2017. To have a cap in place for 2021 after just 3 years is great.

It's not about making it cheaper. Nobody wants to make it cheaper. It's about making it competitive by leveling the playing field.

The Hybrid PU was a good idea. The problem was there was the lack of a PU CAP. Merc out spent everyone by a HUGE margin and started to work on the PU before anyone else. Then the rules they put in to CAP PU costs ended up being a hindrance for the other manufactures to catch up.

trinidefender
trinidefender

proteus wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 19:56
trinidefender wrote:
mwillems wrote:

There were many chances, where the sport could have been made cheaper without the need for introducing the cost cap, but Bernie and later Liberty Media with Jean Todt dismissed it and lowered their heads to manufacturers... There would be no problem if we would have a Ferrari and Sauber with Ferrari negines and the rest of the field on Cosworth powerplants like it happened in the past. But no, they have decided to go for the ultra complicated hybrid turbo engines which as we see are aparently not interesting for majority of manufacturers (with Honda running away and noone else even close of joining). There was a chance to limit the aero freedom and make it far less complicated, but no, they allowed that bargeboard area to become like a little aerospace project with all the winglets and vortices generators and so on...Every decision they took, it only caused more expendatures. And it will be the same with the new Formula 1, you will see. This "cost cap" is a big throw of sand in the eyes. You will see. They talk so much and they achieve nothing. Seeing this for over a decade now.
Does any of this directly relate to McLaren? Doesn't seem to to me. If you want to start another thread about if the cost cap is or isn't effective then I'll happily participate in that but this isn't the place to do it. I only mentioned it because it was directly related to how it affects McLaren.

Offtopic

Darth-Piekus

Anyway. When is the first Test Day? Can we expect another step up from the team or is it wishful thinking?

Macklaren
Macklaren

Darth-Piekus wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 23:16
Anyway. When is the first Test Day? Can we expect another step up from the team or is it wishful thinking?
Starts Friday - as always, we are not going to learn anything until perhaps the last hour of Day 3 because no one is going to show their hand. Doesn't mean I'm not going to watch every minute of the 3 days though!

mwillems

trinidefender wrote:
mwillems wrote:
trinidefender wrote:

I completely agree. I feel that with the regulations trying to reduce the reliance on downforce and with the budget cap making it easier for teams to compete and for some teams to turn a profit. Even Merc have openly come out and said they see these regulations as an opportunity to create an F1 franchise.

Mclaren racing, for instance, turned over record revenues in 2019 of £189m, which is $261m. This will include the Indycar series of course so it isn't all F1 but it mostly is, it shows that Mclaren is now in a position to be a top team again.

I do really think that if the new regs do work as we hope, that we could be approaching another golden era for Formula 1. If only we could ban some of the steering wheel adjustments and minimise the in-lap changes to the setup and bring some of the drivers talents more to the fore too.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

proteus

trinidefender wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 22:01
proteus wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 19:56
trinidefender wrote:

Does any of this directly relate to McLaren? Doesn't seem to to me. If you want to start another thread about if the cost cap is or isn't effective then I'll happily participate in that but this isn't the place to do it. I only mentioned it because it was directly related to how it affects McLaren.

Offtopic
Got carried away. My apologies.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Macklaren wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 23:55
Darth-Piekus wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 23:16
Starts Friday - as always, we are not going to learn anything until perhaps the last hour of Day 3 because no one is going to show their hand. Doesn't mean I'm not going to watch every minute of the 3 days though!
Oh cool, the test will be Friday-Saturday-Sunday, like a Grand Prix weekend. Looking forward to seeing cars on track.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 18:47
mclaren111 wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 14:58
diffuser wrote:

What is the cap ??

For 2023...it will be $30M for both drivers.

If you spend more it comes out of the other CAP.
Whilst it will probably go through in some form, for the sake of clarity, this is not yet agreed.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!