2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Dee
Dee

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

There are two main paragraphs that Slo-poke has written that you can look through, one in this thread and one on the Ex-F1 thread.

I have put the important bits in bold

"Been there done that, Big Tea! Doesn’t pay. You’re simply stepped on and ground in. Tidy-up a tyre burning rear axle to the point Rosberg can pit on lap one and then drive to a very impressive second place and all you will receive is a, “Welcome to the piranha club.” from an entity known as E.J. Spa, Channel Four T.V. Post so-called illegal tyre test. So-called because it was actually an engine test. So! What-a-to-do? Hatch and execute a plan to burn ‘em down. Once realised Wolfy boy stomps up and down the pit lane calling everyone a male body part with a head on it. (Second Silverstone).
They came, they sought, they were oh-so close with a C.V.T. Austria. So were gifted that final elusive step that’s worth billions, only to be blinded by Horner to its origin! Big fat black cloud on their National Emblem for that one Christian. No matter though! They have all their ducks in a row ready to fly back Far East in order to seek loftier goals I’ll bet. I actually wish them well as they’re leaving behind them much enjoyment to be had. I, for one, will relish watching the two cuckoos getting ejected from their feathered nest.

The above are a few concrete material facts, that you will all choose to disbelieve... hey-ho"

"Directly after the Austrian race last year, I sent in to RedBull Racing information pertaining to an invention that I created. No-one else created it, I did. That is how I know the Honda engine and the electrification of it will, coupled with Mr. Newey’s supremacy with chassis’s, provide you and I with proper formula one racing this year.
Now! The invention was originally sent in to Brackely two races prior to end of 2013 mainly because I became very seriously ill and in desperation I unloaded to them, for which I received a ‘now piss off’ reply. I think I’m right to help out RedBull Honda as both are Competitors and not posers and I wish them well.
As for the radio exchange Bono to Russell. What’s actually happening there is when Bono says switch magic on, the magic is no longer in operation. Then when Bono says switch magic off the magic is actually working. It’s a mislead, a hoodwink concocted to keep what they have to themselves. Trouble is I know all about it. I’ll give you this, it’s a method construed to preserve rubber.
Later this year when RedBull Honda have mathematically sewn up the championship I’ll divulge it all. Until then please feel absolutely free to mock, sneer, jeer and laugh out loud as much as you are able to or want, I don’t give a jot"

My summary based on wading though the conjecture and taking things seriously is that;

* They have worked for Merc
* They came up with a silver bullet which has given them the last 7 titles
* They have now given that knowledge to RB

* From what I gather, they have come up with an invention that uses the electrification of the engine to promote tyre wear and the cars transmission/gearbox along with the engine is used to facilitate this silver bullet.

So not only are Merc using the electric part of the engine to make the car go fast, but they are using it to extend tyre life and tyre performance. Somehow this tech is fed to the tyres from the engine, through the gearbox. RB now knowing the silver bullet, are using one of their tokens on a brand new gearbox for the RB16B...

Newey would have copped on to this trick if RB had been given a Merc engine as he would have seen the performance difference and where it could have and could have not come from, so I don't think Merc are doing anything illegal, just something exceptionally smart

Honda followed the same engine design, engine electrification, of Mercedes so the same tyre tech can be used with the right technology added

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Slo Poke wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 20:22
adrianjordan wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 19:50
Slo Poke wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 16:40

Wouter:
Directly after the Austrian race last year, I sent in to RedBull Racing information pertaining to an invention that I created. No-one else created it, I did. That is how I know the Honda engine and the electrification of it will, coupled with Mr. Newey’s supremacy with chassis’s, provide you and I with proper formula one racing this year.
Now! The invention was originally sent in to Brackely two races prior to end of 2013 mainly because I became very seriously ill and in desperation I unloaded to them, for which I received a ‘now piss off’ reply. I think I’m right to help out RedBull Honda as both are Competitors and not posers and I wish them well.
As for the radio exchange Bono to Russell. What’s actually happening there is when Bono says switch magic on, the magic is no longer in operation. Then when Bono says switch magic off the magic is actually working. It’s a mislead, a hoodwink concocted to keep what they have to themselves. Trouble is I know all about it. I’ll give you this, it’s a method construed to preserve rubber.
Later this year when RedBull Honda have mathematically sewn up the championship I’ll divulge it all. Until then please feel absolutely free to mock, sneer, jeer and laugh out loud as much as you are able to or want, I don’t give a jot.
Newey isn't a chassis guy, he's an aero guy.
Mr. Newey is a Guru all-rounder. An innovator second to no-one, why else would Mercedes not want to sell them their engines. I’ll tell you why! Because he would know within two laps that the engine in his car was not quite the same as those in a Merc car.
oh for crying out is it the troll season again?
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

DrDejan
DrDejan

Finally some proper off-season gossip :-)

e30ernest
e30ernest

I'm skeptical too, but mostly because I find it hard to believe that such a "silver bullet" would exist in this day and age. Also, I find it hard to believe that such a silver bullet can stay secret for 7 years given the number of personnel that changes over from one team to another. Even something that is really hidden (like Ferrari's engine "cheat) got out. While the teams could not say it in public, it was widely believed that they knew exactly what was happening through backchannels. Such a silver bullet would be very hard to hide.

ispano6

e30ernest wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 06:12
I'm skeptical too, but mostly because I find it hard to believe that such a "silver bullet" would exist in this day and age. Also, I find it hard to believe that such a silver bullet can stay secret for 7 years given the number of personnel that changes over from one team to another. Even something that is really hidden (like Ferrari's engine "cheat) got out. While the teams could not say it in public, it was widely believed that they knew exactly what was happening through backchannels. Such a silver bullet would be very hard to hide.
It does beg the question as to why Ferrari and Renault are also following suit with a split turbo architecture. Maybe they've caught wind of the magic. Maybe the Mercedes staff that Renault acquired will bring with them their secrets.

I just re-watched last season's Abu Dhabi race, where Max says 6 laps to the end that they can turn down the engine.
It was predicted that Honda's reliability would be it's strength toward the latter races of the season and it showed. Depending on how much they learned in terms of the longevity and condition of the PU components, this year should be one of calculated risk and choosing when to push the PU and choosing when to save it for winnable races. If all teams have the silver bullet, then the deciding factor will come elsewhere. There were a number of races that Max could have won on merit last year, where the car's aero balance and tyre conditions allowed the car to "come alive". In that last race Max was also asked to not allow the tyre temps to drop too much for the given compound. If switching on the tyres is such a crucial part of getting the most out of the car package, then regulating the tyre temps via some heating/cooling apparatus could be the x-factor.

cheeRS
cheeRS

ispano6 wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 08:26
e30ernest wrote:
It does beg the question as to why Ferrari and Renault are also following suit with a split turbo architecture. Maybe they've caught wind of the magic. Maybe the Mercedes staff that Renault acquired will bring with them their secrets.

I just re-watched last season's Abu Dhabi race, where Max says 6 laps to the end that they can turn down the engine.
It was predicted that Honda's reliability would be it's strength toward the latter races of the season and it showed. Depending on how much they learned in terms of the longevity and condition of the PU components, this year should be one of calculated risk and choosing when to push the PU and choosing when to save it for winnable races. If all teams have the silver bullet, then the deciding factor will come elsewhere. There were a number of races that Max could have won on merit last year, where the car's aero balance and tyre conditions allowed the car to "come alive". In that last race Max was also asked to not allow the tyre temps to drop too much for the given compound. If switching on the tyres is such a crucial part of getting the most out of the car package, then regulating the tyre temps via some heating/cooling apparatus could be the x-factor.
Bah, such utter nonsense. For weeks, if not months, I've read of this silver bullet in this [and other RB] thread, and now that I finally called Slo Poke out, we're starting to get to the truth of the matter.

Let's be realistic here, occam's razor and all that: Merc used the last race of 2020 as a test for their 2021 car prospects and ideas. There was absolutely nothing to gain from Merc winning that race other than the angst of all non-Merc fans. How did Merc go, within one race, from dominating all season to RBR winning so convicingly that Max could turn the engine down and manage the gap? Does anyone here really believe that RBR implemented their "magic bullet" at the last race? Does anyone believe that Merc was trying their hardest to win the race in Abu Dhabi? Surely the patrons of this forum can't and wont' believe something so foolish.

There is no silver bullet. Even if there was some magic/silver bullet last year, the regs for 2021 have sufficiently impacted the cars that it might not matter anyway. What if the silver bullet had to do with the rear 1/4 of the cars' floor? Well, that's all gone for 2021.

As fans and non F1 engineers, we all like to gossip and hope that there is one magic thing, one silver bullet, one secret tech that makes a certain car so good, so fast. It makes things easier to explain and easier to rationalize. But it's not how F1 works anymore. And when it does, it gets found of quickly. How long did it take everyone to figure out the fan car, the double diffuser, the blown diffuser, the off-throttle diffuser, the F-ducts, etc. etc?
Human history is the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.

cheeRS
cheeRS

Chuckjr wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 00:53
I really hope you’re right Slo Poke because a competitive sharp end would be a welcome change. I’m tired of the driver championship being a walk. It’s really old after 7 years of pyrrhic victories.
Pyrrhic victories? With all due respect, I don't think you know what that phrase means.
Human history is the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Farsari
Farsari

cheeRS wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 08:41
ispano6 wrote:
e30ernest wrote:

Let's be realistic here, occam's razor and all that: Merc used the last race of 2020 as a test for their 2021 car prospects and ideas. There was absolutely nothing to gain from Merc winning that race other than the angst of all non-Merc fans. How did Merc go, within one race, from dominating all season to RBR winning so convicingly that Max could turn the engine down and manage the gap? Does anyone here really believe that RBR implemented their "magic bullet" at the last race? Does anyone believe that Merc was trying their hardest to win the race in Abu Dhabi? Surely the patrons of this forum can't and wont' believe something so foolish.
This.

ispano6

cheeRS wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 08:41
ispano6 wrote:
e30ernest wrote:

Bah, such utter nonsense. For weeks, if not months, I've read of this silver bullet in this [and other RB] thread, and now that I finally called Slo Poke out, we're starting to get to the truth of the matter.

There is no silver bullet. Even if there was some magic/silver bullet last year, the regs for 2021 have sufficiently impacted the cars that it might not matter anyway. What if the silver bullet had to do with the rear 1/4 of the cars' floor? Well, that's all gone for 2021.

As fans and non F1 engineers, we all like to gossip and hope that there is one magic thing, one silver bullet, one secret tech that makes a certain car so good, so fast. It makes things easier to explain and easier to rationalize. But it's not how F1 works anymore. And when it does, it gets found of quickly. How long did it take everyone to figure out the fan car, the double diffuser, the blown diffuser, the off-throttle diffuser, the F-ducts, etc. etc?
I haven't said in anyway that the supposed silver bullet was implemented in last year's power unit, and I think some people on this forum have equated some electrification silver bullet with diff magic. Sorry if I used the word magic with the split turbo architecture, I mean no correlation. If anything what I am saying is that there ARE other factors such as reliability and longevity and also switching on the tires to get them in the optimum operating window. We know DAS served some purpose as did magic on and off driver coaching, they are not figments of the imagination. We do have engineers on this forum who objectively scrutineer the realm of possibilities. Occams Razor is sufficient for some, but can fit any number of obvious scenarios. Take for example Bottas' last race. If he DNFd he would have finished 3rd in the championship behind Max had his engine had gone like Perez's 2 failures in the last three races. Sure Mercedes would still be double world champions even if both cars DNFd. But also don't neglect the fact Honda themselves did say they changed the way they deployed their ES after their learnings from the season.
I'll reiterate that I'm one who credits Honda's kumasei-plating to its performance advantage in later stages of the power unit life cycle compared to competitors as quoted by Kakuda Tetsushi in the Honda F1 secret story article I translated and to the Honda ES software learnings Tanabe stated after the last race of the 2020 season. I give no credit to any silver bullet for last year's wins nor think Mercedes were sandbagging the last race.

LM10
LM10

The imagination of a single person's invention having been the silver bullet which brought Mercedes 7 titles is... strange to say the least. :)

Maybe that's the reason why Mercedes has been the only low-rake car out there in all these years? :lol:

But they've not at all times had a car which was kind to it's rear tyres. Think of the diva in 2017. Their brilliant rear tyre wear rather started with the arrival of a certain person called Mr. Allison. The question is: Slo Poke or James Allison? =D>

Anyway, even though I'm a Ferrari fan and know they won't be anywhere near mixing with Mercedes and RedBull this season, I'm almost as equally excited as I was in the last few years when I thought Ferrari was going to fight for the title. This time it's because I can sense the most serious title fight since 2014 - between Mercedes and RBR obviously.

etusch

nzjrs

Interesting discussions for sure. We all read diff-magic as *only* a remediation to tire wear, but no system on F1 is single purpose single optimized after a few cycles of development. My subjective impression is that Merc has has the best traction out of corners for the last seasons, and understanding that as a positive contributor might be more worthwhile than minimizing the pain of tire wear. So if there is something there, it might not be the singular something.

Slo Poke
Slo Poke

LM10 wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 10:32
The imagination of a single person's invention having been the silver bullet which brought Mercedes 7 titles is... strange to say the least. :)

Maybe that's the reason why Mercedes has been the only low-rake car out there in all these years? :lol:

But they've not at all times had a car which was kind to it's rear tyres. Think of the diva in 2017. Their brilliant rear tyre wear rather started with the arrival of a certain person called Mr. Allison. The question is: Slo Poke or James Allison? =D>

Anyway, even though I'm a Ferrari fan and know they won't be anywhere near mixing with Mercedes and RedBull this season, I'm almost as equally excited as I was in the last few years when I thought Ferrari was going to fight for the title. This time it's because I can sense the most serious title fight since 2014 - between Mercedes and RBR obviously.
LM10:
James Allison did have an angle on tyre preservation, that is true. Although Slo Poke understood the actual cause. That is also true.

cheeRS
cheeRS

nzjrs wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 16:38
Interesting discussions for sure. We all read diff-magic as *only* a remediation to tire wear, but no system on F1 is single purpose single optimized after a few cycles of development. My subjective impression is that Merc has has the best traction out of corners for the last seasons, and understanding that as a positive contributor might be more worthwhile than minimizing the pain of tire wear. So if there is something there, it might not be the singular something.
This seems logical. If there were a silver bullet, perhaps it's more of a philosophy than a singular piece of tech. For example, Merc, up until last season, was the only team with the LWB/low rake concept that's proved so successful. The first team to copy this "silver bullet philosophy" ended up having their most successful season ever.

That said, tire management has been the name of the name for 10 years running. So yeah, maybe Merc did pursue traction as a criteria rather than tire wear. A different perspective on the same problem.

Anyway, I'm definitely getting away from RBR discussion. I certainly hope that Mr. Newey and Co. have made the most of the regulation changes. I'd love to see Max and Checo really fighting for victories every race. =D>