Mercedes W12

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes W12

zibby43 wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 07:39
PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 02:37
The squirters are still allowed.
The slots are not though.
The lateral (directly ahead of the rear tires) slots used for tire squirt management are prohibited for '21. (All banned features highlighted in yellow below.)

Those slots were used to defeat tire squirt, as they released the excess air pressure induced around the edges of the floor caused by tire rotation.

https://www.formula1.com/content/dam/fo ... /image.jpg
The ones inside of the tyre are still used on the cars. Just are not slots.

They would would be fools not to have this. :wink:
Look at the floors come testing. The engineers NEED to maintain this function or else back of the field they go.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

El Scorchio wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 12:14
NathanOlder wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 11:56
zibby43 wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 07:49

And we get to see the entirety of the car (floor included) running in anger in just a few short days. 8)
How can you lie like this ?! these few days are NOT short!!! surel the longest days of the year :lol:
It's like those few days leading up to Christmas Day, isn't it...
Yes, but for a different reason. I hate the run up to Christmas because it is full of false pleasantries and in-your-face "it's Christmas, you will enjoy it or be called out as a grump!" guff throughout the land before the day itself lands and is invariably a complete damp squib. :evil:

At least with F1, we're looking forward to it because we know we will gain knowledge and understanding. 8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zibby43
zibby43

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 14:19
zibby43 wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 07:39
PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 02:37
The squirters are still allowed.
The slots are not though.
The lateral (directly ahead of the rear tires) slots used for tire squirt management are prohibited for '21. (All banned features highlighted in yellow below.)

Those slots were used to defeat tire squirt, as they released the excess air pressure induced around the edges of the floor caused by tire rotation.

https://www.formula1.com/content/dam/fo ... /image.jpg
The ones inside of the tyre are still used on the cars. Just are not slots.

They would would be fools not to have this. :wink:
Look at the floors come testing. The engineers NEED to maintain this function or else back of the field they go.
I feel like we're in the midst of a failure to communicate :mrgreen:

The angled slots that used to be at the rear of the floor are now forbidden. Those slots are what were used to defeat tire squirt.

Here's the '21 floor of the Aston. Notice that there are no slots/holes anymore. There are a few vertical deflectors, but no tire squirt slots:

PlatinumZealot

zibby43 wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 23:14

The angled slots that used to be at the rear of the floor are now forbidden. Those slots are what were used to defeat tire squirt.

Here's the '21 floor of the Aston. Notice that there are no slots/holes anymore. There are a few vertical deflectors, but no tire squirt slots:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EvpwLhAXAAY ... ame=medium
I immediately noticed that you equated tyre squirt control with the presence of floor slots. So I perfectly understood. Tyre squirt control is still present without the slots... (and was there before the slots too). Many ways to skin a cat.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

zibby43
zibby43

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 05:57
zibby43 wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 23:14

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EvpwLhAXAAY ... ame=medium
I immediately noticed that you equated tyre squirt control with the presence of floor slots. So I perfectly understood. Tyre squirt control is still present without the slots... (and was there before the slots too). Many ways to skin a cat.
Yes, that's because the entire field had adopted them as the primary means of controlling it, and why the floor changes that resulted in those slots being taken away *did* theoretically send every team to the back of the pack compared to Abu Dhabi-spec '20 cars by reducing downforce by 10%.

And I wasn't implying that you didn't understand. I was trying to ascertain what you were calling "tire squirters" in your initial reply. I have never heard about or read about any piece of furniture on an F1 car called a "tire squirter."

If you meant vertical deflectors, which obviously also help to create vortices and manage flow in a way to mitigate disruptive air from squirting into the diffuser's path, then obviously those are still allowed.

The difference in performance between a hole, a slot that loses performance as the floor deforms under load, and a mere vertical deflector, is pretty enormous.

zibby43
zibby43

SiLo

If they could mount the front suspesnion higher I bet they would.
Felipe Baby!

ME4ME

A quick question here; are we actually sure there is a vortex along the floor's outer edge, and would it indeed be counterclockwise as illustrated? I was under the impression that if there was indeed a vortex, it would be clockwise, to draw air out and away from the floor's outer portion so to speak.

From page 6 of the CFD of 2021 F1 car thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28657&start=75
jjn9128 wrote:
09 Jan 2021, 18:07
Sealing the diffuser is technically not what the floor edge slots did, more managing the tyre squirt. Sealing can only be done with a skirt. That said inducing a vortex at the edge of the floor I can only see making the diffuser performance worse - you'd be rotating the flow under the car and raising the pressure under the car.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

ME4ME wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 22:00
A quick question here; are we actually sure there is a vortex along the floor's outer edge, and would it indeed be counterclockwise as illustrated? I was under the impression that if there was indeed a vortex, it would be clockwise, to draw air out and away from the floor's outer portion so to speak.

The vortex shown in that image is the wrong way round. The vortex generators would create a clockwise vortex on this side of the car.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

PlatinumZealot

SiLo wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 21:39
If they could mount the front suspesnion higher I bet they would.
Inverted single keel suspension!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

zibby43 wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 06:43
PlatinumZealot wrote:

If you meant vertical deflectors, which obviously also help to create vortices and manage flow in a way to mitigate disruptive air from squirting into the diffuser's path, then obviously those are still allowed.

The difference in performance between a hole, a slot that loses performance as the floor deforms under load, and a mere vertical deflector, is pretty enormous.
Tyre squirt when the high pressure zone in front of the spiining tyre squeezes air between the tyre and the floor/diffuser. This is a bad thing.

Tyre squirt can be managed in many ways. Skirts, strakes, slots, echaust etc.

I am not a big fan of Matt Sommerfield. He and Ihave had disagreements here, but he does very good work and I respect him. Here is a decent article from him on how tyre squirt was managed with coanda exhausts.

https://www.pitpass.com/49063/Spanish-G ... l-Analysis

Let us look at things in 3 dimensions, now.

What will you notice about tyre squirt this year?
The high pressure zone in front of the tyre is still there, but look, the floor occupies a vastly smaller space in front of the tyre.
What can you say about the Vortex formed here?

Remember with the front wings? In wash and outwash?
Yes?

The vortex doesnt have to travel as far to reach the area near the inside of the rear wheel where it needs to be to protect the diffuser.

The floor gills as I like to call them were made to roll up a vortex closer to the inside of the floor and suppose to be a stable vortex. (similar to the slotted RW endplates). Now this large floor is no longer there, and the gills are no longer there but fortunately the vortex doesn't have to travel as far.

The teams will still be able to protect the diffuser from tyre squirt to a very satisfactory level. They will have less downforce still, mind you, the floor is smaller and now they have to find a way to more channel more energy towards the center of the floor. But if my CFD eyes are seeing right, the engineers will have addressed rear stability and rear downforce as a high priority item and you can bet that that vortex (or vortices) that protect the diffuser from tyre squirt will be there and working like a charm.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

zibby43
zibby43

PlatinumZealot wrote:

Tyre squirt when the high pressure zone in front of the spiining tyre squeezes air between the tyre and the floor/diffuser. This is a bad thing.

Tyre squirt can be managed in many ways. Skirts, strakes, slots, echaust etc.

I am not a big fan of Matt Sommerfield. He and Ihave had disagreements here, but he does very good work and I respect him. Here is a decent article from him on how tyre squirt was managed with coanda exhausts.

https://www.pitpass.com/49063/Spanish-G ... l-Analysis

Let us look at things in 3 dimensions, now.

What will you notice about tyre squirt this year?
The high pressure zone in front of the tyre is still there, but look, the floor occupies a vastly smaller space in front of the tyre.
What can you say about the Vortex formed here?

Remember with the front wings? In wash and outwash?
Yes?

The vortex doesnt have to travel as far to reach the area near the inside of the rear wheel where it needs to be to protect the diffuser.

The floor gills as I like to call them were made to roll up a vortex closer to the inside of the floor and suppose to be a stable vortex. (similar to the slotted RW endplates). Now this large floor is no longer there, and the gills are no longer there but fortunately the vortex doesn't have to travel as far.

The teams will still be able to protect the diffuser from tyre squirt to a very satisfactory level. They will have less downforce still, mind you, the floor is smaller and now they have to find a way to more channel more energy towards the center of the floor. But if my CFD eyes are seeing right, the engineers will have addressed rear stability and rear downforce as a high priority item and you can bet that that vortex (or vortices) that protect the diffuser from tyre squirt will be there and working like a charm.
I appreciate the time and effort you put into that thorough explanation.

Just wanted to let you know that I wasn't trying to be adversarial earlier (far from it) - just wanted to better understand what tools you were referring to.

Which your above post manages splendidly. :D

zibby43
zibby43

First I've seen this shot of the car in the metal in daylight:

jjn9128

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 22:51
ME4ME wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 22:00

The vortex shown in that image is the wrong way round. The vortex generators would create a clockwise vortex on this side of the car.
^^ This. Also I think the discontinuity in the floor edge is designed to shed the edge vortex outboard of the rear floor.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

crazychrome
crazychrome

zibby43 wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 11:03
First I've seen this shot of the car in the metal in daylight:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwL9sCiWgAU ... name=large
Isn't that W11?