2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Big Tea

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

mwillems wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 00:06
Big Tea wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 13:35
What about when a driver is screened such as post race interview etc? Drivers show the watch and always have a hat with the brand name and be sure to present it to the camera.
While the driver is not actually in the car or on the podium, are they 'working for the team' and still employed by them, or could they moonlight by for instance having a particular brand of water in their hand or a logo on the towel around their neck while in these 'semi official' appearances?
It used to be that the drivers collar and shoulders belonged to them, but I am not sure of that these days.
Same thing with Kimi in the Alfa advert, is he there as a Ferrari driver or as Kimi, and does he get extra for it?

There must be many ways a drivers money can be boosted without the team getting directly involved, so not included in the cap.
Yeah the overalls, inage rights, separate deals for sponsoring their own brand.... imagine Hamilton being paid 20m of the 30m cap. But on an entirely separate deal (cough cough), becomes a brand ambassador for Merc, at 20m per year.
Or a Mercedes AMG GT 'Hamilton', to which he would of course get a cut for each one sold.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Darth-Piekus

Christian Albers a former F1 driver thinks that James Key is the new Andrian Newey and he also thinks that he will have a chance to go to a big team. https://www.planetf1.com/news/christija ... ian-newey/

I don't want to burst his bubble but James Key is already in a big team and I don't see why he would leave if Mclaren provides him with anything he wants. If Mclaren wants to get to the top he has to keep that new Andrian Newey and enrich the aerodynamics position as they are gonna play a big role if engines freeze in the distant future. What do you guys think?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Darth-Piekus wrote:Christian Albers a former F1 driver thinks that James Key is the new Andrian Newey and he also thinks that he will have a chance to go to a big team. https://www.planetf1.com/news/christija ... ian-newey/

I don't want to burst his bubble but James Key is already in a big team and I don't see why he would leave if Mclaren provides him with anything he wants. If Mclaren wants to get to the top he has to keep that new Andrian Newey and enrich the aerodynamics position as they are gonna play a big role if engines freeze in the distant future. What do you guys think?
I’m afraid I don’t have enough data to assess whether Key is the next Newey or not, but at least from a track result perspective Mclaren seems to still be behind the likes of Mercedes and Red Bull in the aero department in terms of performance.

Mclaren is definitely a big team, but Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari are currently bigger teams (sans 2020 for Ferrari), why would Key go to one of those teams? Money is always a factor, it is admitted by Mclaren that the resources at the factory are behind those of the top teams (although a plan is in place to catch up)... So based on that would he move? Probably.

But it will depend on what Key ultimately wants for his career and what his motivation / ambition is like... Does he wants to lead a team currently at the top of the mountain (Mercedes for example) or does he wants to be one of the driving forces to bring a team to that place (Mclaren)? No one but Key knows the answer to that question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

SmallSoldier wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 19:23
Darth-Piekus wrote:Christian Albers a former F1 driver thinks that James Key is the new Andrian Newey and he also thinks that he will have a chance to go to a big team. https://www.planetf1.com/news/christija ... ian-newey/

I’m afraid I don’t have enough data to assess whether Key is the next Newey or not, but at least from a track result perspective Mclaren seems to still be behind the likes of Mercedes and Red Bull in the aero department in terms of performance.

Mclaren is definitely a big team, but Mercedes, Red Bull and Ferrari are currently bigger teams (sans 2020 for Ferrari), why would Key go to one of those teams? Money is always a factor, it is admitted by Mclaren that the resources at the factory are behind those of the top teams (although a plan is in place to catch up)... So based on that would he move? Probably.

But it will depend on what Key ultimately wants for his career and what his motivation / ambition is like... Does he wants to lead a team currently at the top of the mountain (Mercedes for example) or does he wants to be one of the driving forces to bring a team to that place (Mclaren)? No one but Key knows the answer to that question.

Key has been linked with Ferrari in the past, dating back to when he was in Sauber. Rumours resurfaced again, in 2016 or 2017 before he re-signed with STR. There was also strong rumours of him going to Williams as well, during the same period. But I get the impression he wants a place where he can prove his worth, he wasn’t thrilled about plans for STR to be more dependant on Red Bull for parts and direction. I remember reading somewhere that Newey once said that he could be sometimes negative. As it is, McLaren is a good fit for him, but obviously things could change. But I don’t see him going to Red Bull and replacing Wache, for example, as long as Newey is still there.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Darth-Piekus

I can't say anything about Ferrari. They are by numbers and money the most historic and successful team in F1. However Mclaren in my opinion while not still having the money of Red Bull and Mercedes has in fact bigger history as a team than both of them. It also depends what Key wants and what the team can provide. Money isn't everything.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 19:23

Key has been linked with Ferrari in the past, dating back to when he was in Sauber. Rumours resurfaced again, in 2016 or 2017 before he re-signed with STR. There was also strong rumours of him going to Williams as well, during the same period. But I get the impression he wants a place where he can prove his worth, he wasn’t thrilled about plans for STR to be more dependant on Red Bull for parts and direction. I remember reading somewhere that Newey once said that he could be sometimes negative. As it is, McLaren is a good fit for him, but obviously things could change. But I don’t see him going to Red Bull and replacing Wache, for example, as long as Newey is still there.
It’s a little bit of silly speculation since we really don’t know what motivates him, therefore debating a potential move by Key to a different team is a little pointless I guess.

Darth-Piekus

In any case let's hope for Zak Brown to keep building towards that championship position by making a good aerodynamic team.

djos

Darth-Piekus wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 18:31
Christian Albers a former F1 driver thinks that James Key is the new Andrian Newey and he also thinks that he will have a chance to go to a big team. https://www.planetf1.com/news/christija ... ian-newey/

He's at a well-funded, historically successful team on the re-bound that he can build up his way, why would you drop that for a Merc or RBR type team that already has "successful" org structures and processes?
"In downforce we trust"

Darth-Piekus

In my opinion money isn't everything and if I was in his shoes just like Ross Brawn I would welcome the challenge and get Mclaren to a point where they will do a Mercedes repeat and make everyone talk about them.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

In the past, I'd say big reason to move teams was budgets. You just didn't get Mercedes or Ferrari level budgets at midfield teams. I don't think McLaren should be a midfield team but with less success in last 10 years, it's slowly drifted toward midfield and has the vibe of a big team in midfield. With the budget cap, this is mostly annulled. Key can expect to get same level of funding both in McLaren as in Ferrari so I don't think there is a huge draw toward changing the team, especially if the team where you are is on an upward trajectory.

Who knows, Key might be a McLaren fan from the 80s. Plus if he brings McLaren to championship contention, it will be a huge proof of his worth as an aerodynamicist.

Peter1919
Peter1919

Darth-Piekus wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 18:31

Newey is an aero guy and Key is a Mechnical Engineer therefore not sure how Key could possibly be the next Adrian Newey

McG

Christian Albers :lol:
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

McFAN
McFAN

Good session I think,
Danny looked comfortable.

bauc

McFAN wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 13:16
Good session I think,
Danny looked comfortable.
He looked ok, few times the car danced beneath him and he had to do a few steering corrections but I hope that is more due to the windy conditions on the race track.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I expected more laps. We are only ahead of Williams, Haas and Mercedes on mileage and those teams all had issues.