2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McFAN
McFAN

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

El Scorchio wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 16:06
Looking good so far.
Yeah
Always a good sign to be quick straight out of the block's.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Verstappen goes really really wide on his runs.

Herr_Koos

This might be reading too much into things, but...

Lando and Ocon just arrived at the last corner pretty much together. They weren't on camera, but I could see the orange dot and blue dot almost on top of each other on the track map. As they hit the main straight and put the hammer down, the orange dot was oh-so-slightly but noticeably pulling away from the blue dot. Merc horses doing their thing. :D

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Herr_Koos wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 16:33
This might be reading too much into things, but...

Lando and Ocon just arrived at the last corner pretty much together. They weren't on camera, but I could see the orange dot and blue dot almost on top of each other on the track map. As they hit the main straight and put the hammer down, the orange dot was oh-so-slightly but noticeably pulling away from the blue dot. Merc horses doing their thing. :D
As you increase speed the distance between cars increases.

McL-H
McL-H

Seidl was very satisfied so far. I see happy faces in the McLaren garage. That is a good sign.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

McL-H wrote:Seidl was very satisfied so far. I see happy faces in the McLaren garage. That is a good sign.
There weren’t any major issues, at least the car seems to not be suffering from overheating which was probably the main concern for the team when it came to the new PU.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Macklaren
Macklaren

McL-H wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 17:01
Seidl was very satisfied so far. I see happy faces in the McLaren garage. That is a good sign.
agreed. but would have liked a little more running. Hopefully this means they are trying many different things

bauc

Macklaren wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 17:12
McL-H wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 17:01
agreed. but would have liked a little more running. Hopefully this means they are trying many different things
Yes, it seems there is a lot of work being done in the pits and less running on the track, but I guess this to be expected since they are the only team with new engine partner.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 00:28
mwillems wrote:
11 Mar 2021, 00:06
Big Tea wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 13:35
What about when a driver is screened such as post race interview etc? Drivers show the watch and always have a hat with the brand name and be sure to present it to the camera.
While the driver is not actually in the car or on the podium, are they 'working for the team' and still employed by them, or could they moonlight by for instance having a particular brand of water in their hand or a logo on the towel around their neck while in these 'semi official' appearances?
It used to be that the drivers collar and shoulders belonged to them, but I am not sure of that these days.
Same thing with Kimi in the Alfa advert, is he there as a Ferrari driver or as Kimi, and does he get extra for it?

There must be many ways a drivers money can be boosted without the team getting directly involved, so not included in the cap.
Yeah the overalls, inage rights, separate deals for sponsoring their own brand.... imagine Hamilton being paid 20m of the 30m cap. But on an entirely separate deal (cough cough), becomes a brand ambassador for Merc, at 20m per year.
Or a Mercedes AMG GT 'Hamilton', to which he would of course get a cut for each one sold.
Or the aMG 44, just in case there's confusion between Lewis and former politician Neil.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

Can we keep the Hamilton fan fiction in the Merc thread please? Thanks.

mwillems

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 17:27
Can we keep the Hamilton fan fiction in the Merc thread please? Thanks.
I would but there isn't any, you're being over sensitive, that was just a humorous response to how the cost cap can affect teams like Mclaren.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

McFAN
McFAN

Another very decent lap from Norris
two tenths slower than max on the same tyre .

Xero

I'd say that was a pretty successful first day of running. Key point for me was the middle sector time was very competitive, each sector with a consistent relative gap to the Red Bull. The MCL35 struggled in that middle sector, hopefully a sign they have fixed those weaknesses.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Xero wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 18:03
I'd say that was a pretty successful first day of running. Key point for me was the middle sector time was very competitive, each sector with a consistent relative gap to the Red Bull. The MCL35 struggled in that middle sector, hopefully a sign they have fixed those weaknesses.
You pretty much wrote exactly what I was about to write. Way too early to tell anything with any amount of certainty but the signs are encouraging. The car looks good straight out of the box and so far decent reliability too.

Emag
Emag

Xero wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 18:03
Can't really take much from the first day of testing, but really can't take much from testing in general.

The teams were definitely not pushing close to 100% , and if they were pushing at all, we can't really know which parts of the track were their primary target.

So for example, RedBull might have wanted to test something in S1 and therefore Max was instructed to go a little faster there, while McLaren might have had something to test elsewhere instead.

Nevertheless, it is still a positive day since there were no major problems encountered and the laptimes set were good relative to the competition.