Mercedes W12

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
NoDivergence
NoDivergence

Re: Mercedes W12

Mercedes is still innovating. The floor (front and rear) development is significantly more complex (and not seen before) relative to the other contenders who have adaptations based on previous years' development. The diffuser shaping for vortices to interact with the strake vortices is very interesting too.

I do see Mercedes adopting a McLaren diffuser strake in the future.

What's very interesting is they clearly must have looked at a full 4 element upper diffuser strake, but decided to only do it at the edge for lateral diffuser expansion support. Wonder why they didn't do it for the rest of the width? One thought is that the vertical central rectangular section under the gearbox is being used to create more suction behind to encourage the other slots (and diffuser). As for the rest of the section between the gearbox to the edge, they may not be trying to work the airflow as hard, potentially as a result of the suspension positioning.

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

Will be really interesting to see the final pecking order by Bahrain GP.
Last edited by NoDivergence on 12 Mar 2021, 16:36, edited 1 time in total.

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

Mercedes is still innovating. The floor (front and rear) development is significantly more complex (and not seen before) relative to the other contenders who have adaptations based on previous years' development. The diffuser shaping for vortices to interact with the strake vortices is very interesting too.

I do see Mercedes adopting a McLaren diffuser strake in the future.

What's very interesting is they clearly must have looked at a full 4 element upper diffuser flap, but decided to only do it at the edge for lateral diffuser expansion support. Wonder why they didn't do it for the rest of the width? One thought is that the vertical central rectangular section under the gearbox is being used to create more suction behind to encourage the other flaps (and central diffuser section). As for the rest of the section between the gearbox to the edge, they may not be trying to work the airflow as hard, potentially as a result of the suspension positioning.

balalev
balalev

A little bit modificated cape (and maybe nose) on Hamilton's car.

edgelo
edgelo

Impressive that floor. I wonder if all that fins to get tyre squirt away wont stole some air from the top of the diffuser.

Anyway, IMO that area is not the toughest for other teams to copy.

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

edgelo wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 16:57
Impressive that floor. I wonder if all that fins to get tyre squirt away wont stole some air from the top of the diffuser.

Not sure, whole flowfield is different at that area due to the front floor detail
Last edited by NoDivergence on 12 Mar 2021, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.

NoDivergence
NoDivergence

edgelo wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 16:57

The preservation of the diffuser underside flow is way more important than upper diffuser flow.

edgelo
edgelo

NoDivergence wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 17:05

The preservation of the diffuser underside flow is way more important than upper diffuser flow.
Agree, but the inner flow over the floor is also important to control the sides of the diffuser. Good to keep it energized, i think.

It’s all about the apparent simplicity of the other teams floor. I’m surprised that they have not worked more on that area.

OO7
OO7

I'm not sure if the following is a reflection or actual diffuser shaping:

DiogoBrand

From that aero rake fitted to the rear it's interesting to see how much outwash the diffuser creates. If the air actually follows the angle of the fins, then it means it actually creates more outwash than upwash.

RZS10

It's a shadow on the sky's reflection on the diffuser shape

OO7
OO7

Behind the small humped red line I drew on the outer portion of the diffuser, there appears to be a thin panel line/join that mirrors the profile of that drawn hump.

OO7
OO7

Another angle:
Last edited by OO7 on 12 Mar 2021, 20:15, edited 1 time in total.

lio007

Anybody else noticed the different colors of the rear suspension arms?

ScrewCaptain27

Apparently there is a channel underneath the gearbox similar to the one found on the Ferrari.

Link to article (Italian):https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-me ... a/5700445/
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian