2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Right, I just heard on the tellybox about a Mclaren Diffuser trick, and they do appear to have done something cheeky but technically legal (According to the clever boffins in the car thread). Whether that is the reason the rear looks quite planted, who knows.

I wonder if teams and the FIA are looking very hard at that. But then, the FIA left that particular loophole glaringly open so... Hopefully if it is a benefit, they won't rule it against the spirit of the rules, which they have done about things in the past. Although under Liberty stewardship, the FIA seem more relaxed on these things, as they are many things in the sport now.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

bosyber
bosyber

No, it's just the middle part of the car, which is lower (due to being where that 'skid plank' is) could always be going until the end of the floor, and then just have a straight back side, but that's not good for aero, hence it has a sort of boat look to it. McLaren have that, but the two sides are now extended further to the back, forming fences that, bc. officially part of that bit of the car, can be longer (but it is a bit of a question exactly how much better it works, bc. that 'boattail' middle bit clearly now doesn't have the same airflow, since there's no slit to let air in (that's blocked since ban of Double Diffuser, as that was how they were possible). So it's quite likely legal.

haza
haza

Is there an issue Norris still hasn’t set a time 1 hour 20mins in

McL-H
McL-H

haza wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 15:21
Is there an issue Norris still hasn’t set a time 1 hour 20mins in
I was wondering the same thing.

Seerix
Seerix

He has 12 laps on the record, so maybe some testing going on with outlaps only?

the EDGE
the EDGE

Seerix wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 15:29
He has 12 laps on the record, so maybe some testing going on with outlaps only?
Hopefully just back to back & set-up change testing

I’d imagine long runs to come later this afternoon

He’s certainly been running all session

PhillipM
PhillipM

Can't see any way it can be argued against, especially when the floor regs are written specifically allowing the lower centre section

mwillems

bosyber wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 13:41
No, it's just the middle part of the car, which is lower (due to being where that 'skid plank' is) could always be going until the end of the floor, and then just have a straight back side, but that's not good for aero, hence it has a sort of boat look to it. McLaren have that, but the two sides are now extended further to the back, forming fences that, bc. officially part of that bit of the car, can be longer (but it is a bit of a question exactly how much better it works, bc. that 'boattail' middle bit clearly now doesn't have the same airflow, since there's no slit to let air in (that's blocked since ban of Double Diffuser, as that was how they were possible). So it's quite likely legal.
Its a different shape to last year so not the same concept, those fences also taper so air can find its way in.

It is legal, yes, but whole point of the rules was to get rid of those fences, Mclaren know that, as do everyone, so it is also against the spirit of the rules, but I highly doubt it will be pulled back.

But if it was so incosequential then I doubt Mclaren would have gone to the lengths they did to hide it.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
bosyber wrote:
Its a different shape to last year so not the same concept, those fences also taper so air can find its way in.

It is legal, yes, but whole point of the rules was to get rid of those fences, Mclaren know that, as do everyone, so it is also against the spirit of the rules, but I highly doubt it will be pulled back.

But if it was so incosequential then I doubt Mclaren would have gone to the lengths they did to hide it.
I don’t feel they hid the diffuser more than in previous years... Every year, during the presentation / launch of the car, the diffuser is blocked, the renders either don’t show it all or is a mock up... Mclaren never shows the diffuser until testing... Is just common practice (and previous diffusers didn’t had anything out of the ordinary to them).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darth-Piekus

After two days of testing and so far the car seems to be a very fast car. Should I play devil's advocate and dare say that we might be in the mix for all 3 podium places and ahead of the midfield?

McL-H
McL-H

Darth-Piekus wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 18:16
After two days of testing and so far the car seems to be a very fast car. Should I play devil's advocate and dare say that we might be in the mix for all 3 podium places and ahead of the midfield?
Ted Kravitz was carefully suggesting McLaren might be in the mix. Obviously, we and they don’t know. But until we do, and based on the last 2 days, I do believe we have all the reason to be optimistic. I’ve been watching the live feed today and yesterday and the car looks really, really good. The car seems beautifully balanced and so easy to drive around this track. But I really don’t know what to think of the Mercedes. I believe that whatever problems they have, they will get on top of it. Red Bull looks like it’s on rails. Alpine looks solid. Aston Martin is very difficult to judge.

All I know for sure is that Haas built the worst car. Williams seems to have made a jump. Ferrari is no threat.

PhillipM
PhillipM

At the minute the guys are hoping to be in contention for a few podiums, I think all three podium places might be too optimistic though, bar getting a little lucky. Looks promising though, sounds like the car responds predictably to setup changes they were trying earlier.

bosyber
bosyber

mwillems wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 16:08
bosyber wrote:

I didn't say anything about inconsequential, I said I don't know - after that I also heard Ted Kravitz say other teams think it probably is quite legal, and also something they'll check out and if good will relatively easily adapt.

Emag
Emag

PhillipM wrote:
13 Mar 2021, 18:28
At the minute the guys are hoping to be in contention for a few podiums, I think all three podium places might be too optimistic though, bar getting a little lucky. Looks promising though, sounds like the car responds predictably to setup changes they were trying earlier.
Setup changes is what they were testing in that weird first part of the stint with Lando?

It was quite unusual, running just out laps every 20 minutes or so with strange on-track behavior (Lando aggressively heating up tires, and the limited speed on the straight).

Edit: Btw, if you have contact with anyone from the paddock right now. What's the general consensus with Mercedes? Are they really struggling somewhat, or they are still expected to be top form come race day?

Darth-Piekus

In any case I can't help but smile. Maybe it's too early but we might see a car that will challenge for all 3 podium places. Tomorrow we will see if our hopes are justified.