2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
PhillipM
PhillipM

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

It's not really just the PU - it wasn't run flat out most of the time anyway - the whole car has less drag. I mentioned to watch this years car for straightline speed quite some time back.

edit, there ya go :wink:

Herr_Koos

PhillipM wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 16:40
It's not really just the PU - it wasn't run flat out most of the time anyway - the whole car has less drag. I mentioned to watch this years car for straightline speed quite some time back.

https://i.imgur.com/a2FTGcO.png
Noice! Here's hoping they can go one better than Monza last year.

McFAN
McFAN

PhillipM wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 16:40

https://i.imgur.com/a2FTGcO.png
Mystic Meg eh ? :wink:
Are there any changes to the FW in the pipeline or are they content with the current design ? Any idea ?

PhillipM
PhillipM

Like I said back then, most of the work is rear diffuser and rear brake tin/winglets - you've seen those now :)

Still things to come around the the rear of the floor, bargeboard bits but that's all I know.

JIGARCIA
JIGARCIA

Amazing!! Thanks for using the crystal ball 😁😁

So my top three teams as it stands are

1. Red Bull
2. Merc
3. McLaren

Where do you think we are?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Quite an encouraging test for team papaya, very unconventional though in regards to the format adopted by the team. I’m assuming because Bahrain isn’t what you’d describe as a aero circuit like Barcelona, so the team had to change things up a bit and think and act outside the box. Of course they had the added task of not only bedding in and integrating a new driver and engine, but monitoring the progress of reclaiming the lost downforce. I’m very happy we’ve got Daniel, already showing his expertise and talent. He sounds happy, but no doubt he’ll push the team on those finer details. There was a pretty insightful article a while back where Pat Fry heaped praise on Daniel and his ability to motivate. Lando, I’m also happy sounds more confident, while trying not to get carried away, really hoping all this translates into success.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

The revised side pods, the tighter package seems to have had a positive effect on how less draggy the car is... If the PU’s weren’t run at comparable modes in Testing and FP1 of last year (with Testing been performed at a lower mode), it is pretty encouraging for the team!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PhillipM
PhillipM

Ground Effect wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 17:31
but monitoring the progress of reclaiming the lost downforce.
They have the same DF levels as last years cars at the rear by the time the first race hits. They're already confident they hit it in sims months back.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

I really like how cautious the team is in regards to expectations... And how they realize that last year, even though we finished P3, we could have easily finished P5 also, been grounded and humble while still ambitious is a great trait of the Team.

Mclaren’s expectations are to fight again with the midfield for P3 (at least at this stage of the year).

Seidl:

"I think it's difficult to know exactly the pecking order," said the German. "But from everything we've seen so far we can expect an incredibly tight and battle again, between the usual suspects. I think we will be again in the same fight as we have been last year.

"We shouldn't forget that we also have a new partner with Mercedes, and we have to go through a lot of things first time under real pressure in two weeks – going through qualifying, going through a race – which is challenging because it's a complex topic to operate these modern power units together with the team in these situations.

"But with how this last month went I'm really happy I have to say with everything the team has done, and with all the energy everyone has put in."

He added a note of caution: "It was great for us to finish P3 last year but at the same time we haven't forgotten about the last race where we could also have easily ended up in P5."

trinidefender
trinidefender

SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 16:18
The data below shows the speed traces for Testing versus 2020’s FP1 (When running Race Simulations), the data is eliminating laps were DRS was used to have a better comparison.

The Mercedes PU would seem to already be having a positive impact in regards to straight line speed, wind direction could also be playing a role in the comparison and the author tried to eliminate Tow’s were possible.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202103 ... 7c9f05.jpg

Source?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

trinidefender wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 16:18
The data below shows the speed traces for Testing versus 2020’s FP1 (When running Race Simulations), the data is eliminating laps were DRS was used to have a better comparison.

The Mercedes PU would seem to already be having a positive impact in regards to straight line speed, wind direction could also be playing a role in the comparison and the author tried to eliminate Tow’s were possible.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202103 ... 7c9f05.jpg

Source?
The data came from @Peke_Formula1

I thought it was on the chart itself.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Also worth noting is that Aston Martin had an issue with the turbo/bulge so it's possible Mercedes may not be bulletproof this season. Hopefully they iron it out, it would be bad to lose points due to reliability.

Sainz has some comments on Ferrari engine and references McLaren - I think we are in a good spot.

f1rules
f1rules

Re: McLaren MCL35M

Emag
Emag

PhillipM wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 19:03
Ground Effect wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 17:31
but monitoring the progress of reclaiming the lost downforce.
They have the same DF levels as last years cars at the rear by the time the first race hits. They're already confident they hit it in sims months back.
So the whole "it will be close to 2020 levels" talk before the season started was just playing down expectations?
I am guessing most teams probably hit that goal too but don't want to show their cards early on.

CjC
CjC

FittingMechanics wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 20:14
Also worth noting is that Aston Martin had an issue with the turbo/bulge so it's possible Mercedes may not be bulletproof this season. Hopefully they iron it out, it would be bad to lose points due to reliability.

Sainz has some comments on Ferrari engine and references McLaren - I think we are in a good spot.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EwiS9wdXIAM ... ame=medium
I wonder if Sainz thinks his new Ferrari isn’t a fast as the Mclaren he left last season?
Just a fan's point of view